MacBook Pro Touch Pad isn't working with DMS Custom Code

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi to all,

I have a relatively new MacBook Pro and I'm always using two fingers to scroll up an down apps and webpages using the built-in touch pad. However, when I am using the custom code window the two finger scroll functionality works when scrolling down but it's very sticky when scrolling up. Is this a bug in DMS as I can't reproduce this behaviour in any other applications or webpages using my MacBook Pro.

Due to this issue I'm considering on buying a mouse today as I don't think my Wacom tablet is suitable/practical for web design? I'm new to creating and coding websites so please feel free to recommend what set-ups could work best? At present I'm working mainly from my 15inch MacBook Pro with no external screens for all of my web design. 

Thanks, James 

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

If i'm honest I haven't encountered this issue, do you have issues scrolling else where with your MacBook Pro ?

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

No, I've never noticed any issues with scrolling apart from inside the 'Custom Code' window in DMS. Sometimes it's better than others but often I need to use the up arrow key because it's sticking too much. I know you said you haven't encountered it before but it seems as though it only happens inside the DMS Custom Code window and nowhere else.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions?

Cheers!

Posted · Report post

I have this same issue all the time. I use a Dell with a 17.3 inch screen.

Posted · Report post

The custom code window does stick when scrolling back up. I also use a 15" MB Pro but with a separate screen and a windows mouse with a very useful scroll wheel. 

Posted · Report post

Gentlemen,

I think the problem you're experiencing with custom code is that there are three nested scrolls for the Custom Code section. Take a look at your screen, carefully.

On the far right, you have the site's scroll, to help you go top to bottom of the site. Then, there's another scrollbar for the DMS Toolbar area.  When you click on Custom Code, depending on how much code you have, there's yet another scroll specifically for that area.

When you click on something (Mac or PC, btw), the scroll function of the browser normally works. But because the Custom Code section is within another level, it doesn't (at least on my Windows based laptops).   Unfortunately, I don't know if it's even possible to code that functionality into DMS.  It might work if you've clicked your mouse/cursor inside the text area of Custom Code.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the focus needs to be inside of the Custom Code section in-order for the MacBook Pros touch pad to work using the two finger scroll function. However, when I click directly in-side of the Custom Code section (leaving the mouse cursor directly inside of the Custom Code section) my MacBook touch-pad allows me to perfectly scroll down but scrolling up sometimes becomes a little sticky (jumpy) whilst the up/down arrow keys work perfectly (but obviously slower). I'm going to get a mouse anyway but I just wanted to let you know that I am still having the same issues unfortunately.

Cheers, James 

Posted · Report post

James, 

I've noticed the same thing on my Windows-based laptop, so it's definitely not a Mac-specific issue. In fact, our developers primarily use Macs.  Whatever is causing it, I'll make our developers aware of the condition to see if they can adjust it.

You can also add a New Issue here: https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues?state=open  (registration is required if not already registered).

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that and for the link to 'GitHub' which is very interesting to see lists of bugs & enhancements etc.

Just one more quick thing which I've also noticed with the Custom Code box is that if you have many lines of code the 'cmd+f' (find) seems to only search the code which is visible on the screen. It won't search the entire Custom Code box (top to bottom). However, when I used the 'Pagelines Customize' plugin for the old framework it would search the entire document of code. For example, if I'm searching for 'highlight' the find feature won't find any matches in the Custom Code box or unless it's actually visible on the screen. I'm not sure if your able to implement this but it would be useful if your able to search the entire Custom Code box like the 'customize plugin'.

Cheers, James

Posted · Report post

HI,

I understand there are a few users experiencing the same issue, but i've had our support all test this and not one of us was having any kind of sticking. I use a MacBookPro 2011, Jenny uses a MacBookPro Retina, Rob is from the dark ages so he uses Windows, Martin uses a Mac and Laptop and had no issue that I am aware of.

Is there any chance you can disable all custom scripts (leave your custom CSS/LESS) and disable all plugins and see if this clears your issue. If it doesn't can you use the free app Jing and record a screencast demonstrating the issue.

Posted · Report post

I will do this Danny and thanks for your reply. I'm still having the same issues so I'll record a video file for you so that you can see the problem I'm experiencing. Maybe tonight when I have some free time.

Thanks, James

Posted · Report post

OK, thanks.