Photo
- - - - -

Link Color in Header Tags

CSS Titles

Best Answer Jake , 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hi @balfred1345 - Add the following custom code which I believe will get you the look you're going for:

h4 > a {color: #006BED;}

You'll probably also want to add a hover as well with h4 > a:hover

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country, USA
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi,

I've got links in header tags in the footer in a columnizer section (therefore I'm using text widgets to supply the content) that aren't showing up in the proper color that I've set in Global options. The a:link is staying white, when it should be blue. The a:hover shows up correctly.

I've tested this out in tags h4 through h6 and none get the proper CSS from Global options. 

I tried adding the following in custom code, but it did not work:

/* unvisited link for h6 */
#site h6 > a:link {
  color:#006BED !important;
}    

I've tried using both <p> and <strong> tags and the a:link color does show correctly. The only problem is, that the text itself does not show up well enough against the background... which is why I want to use a header tag. 

You can take a look at this in the footer under NEWS at:

http://whub34.webhos...oh6/cidev2.com/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bruce

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17966 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

The reason as to why the text and header tags are white is because of the custom CSS you have added to the section area:

#site .my-blue-area {
background-color: #006;
color: #FFF;
}

If you remove the color property and white value, this should resolve your issue.

With the color: white removed from your code:

#3 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts
  • Framework Version:Some sites Pagelines Framework (latest version), some sites DMS latest version

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Danny,
Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and commented out the custom CSS. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

I wasn't clear enough in my initial post, so I can see why you thought it worked. 
Here's what I have going on:
Under "News" in the footer, I've left the top block of text without <h> tags (using <p> tags), and the bottom block uses <h> tags. So the top block works as it should. The bottom is where the <h> tag is in use and is not seeming to "get" the a:link CSS. 

Here's what I put in the text widget so you can see what I'm talking about above:

<h4>
News
</h4>
<p><strong>
Sign up for our <a href="http://whub34.webhos....com/subscribe/">newsletter</a> and we'll keep you up to date, delivering fresh Choral Arts Ensemble news to your inbox.
</p></strong>
<h4>
Missed some Choral Arts Ensemble news? Check out our <a href="http://whub34.webhos...letter-archive/">newsletter archive.</a>
</h4>

So, you can see that in the bottom block of text the words "newsletter archive" should have the a:link color of blue. 

I've kept my custom CSS commented out, so that is not a variable at this time. Here's the link for your reference: http://whub34.webhos...oh6/cidev2.com/

Thanks again for your help with this.

Bruce

#4 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM   Best Answer

Hi @balfred1345 - Add the following custom code which I believe will get you the look you're going for:

h4 > a {color: #006BED;}

You'll probably also want to add a hover as well with h4 > a:hover

#5 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi @Jake. Thanks so much for the response. I went ahead and added the custom code as you suggested, and it worked. 

So, does this mean that the "Global Options" setting of Site Text Colors / Link Color  does not work as it should? Shouldn't this setting also cover the header tags?

In any event, this workaround did the job. 

Thanks again!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

Global options for color are as they say, global. When a specific color is desired in a particular place, it can be coded simply and easily with CSS.

#7 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

HI @Rob -- 

I wanted the same link color as set in global options, so it should have covered the links in header tags (in widgets and displayed via columnizer), should it not?

Thanks,

Bruce

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Bruce,

If you're using the Custom Sidebars plugin to help make the sidebars for your widgets in the widgetizer or columnizer sections,  there seems to be an odd problem with the plugin.  It appears to strip out all the formatting in any widget added.

That said, I've found a plugin http://codecanyon.ne...sidebar/3287804 which does pretty much the same things as Custom Sidebars, but leaves all the formatting intact.   For $6 I think it's a bargain.

The plugin was simple to use, and creates as many sidebars as desired.

• balfred1345 likes this

#9 balfred1345

balfred1345

• Members

• 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi @Rob,

Thanks! I'll go ahead and give Total Dynamic Sidebar a try as you recommended. I was thinking that whatever the cause of the problem was, it had something to do with widgets and/or the sidebar. So, this makes sense.

Thanks again,

Bruce

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

On a rare occasion, from time to time, I actually say or do something almost smart. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CSS, Titles