Photo
- - - - -

Benefits of moving from Framework to DMS for a single site?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 artemesia66

artemesia66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a single site that I operate. It was designed in Pagelines Pro, then moved to Pagelines Framework, and I'm reasonably happy with it at the moment. It seems like DMS is a great product if I needed to design or redesign multiple sites, but it doesnt seem like it adds new capabilities to an existing site. But maybe I'm missing something. If I don't want to change the design, are there benefits of moving to DMS?

#2 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi @artemesia66 - It's a great question and though I am a staff member, I am also a user who has been giving this a lot of thought and completely relates to your position. I've moved many sites from Platform to Framework, have just completed a full migration of one of those sites to DMS and have another migration launching in mere days. There is the most obvious reason to upgrade which really holds true for all software - keeping up with the technology. DMS tricks out newer versions of bootstrap, font-awesome, and styling with LESS, modular sections, etc. These types of benefits have been mentioned in these forums many times, as have the details about the ability for developers to rock out the API and bring us incredible sections and themes for building amazing websites that can continue to evolve. And of course there is the drag and drop aspect. It takes a little bit of a learning curve, as it can be counter-intuitive to the way we're used to, but once mastered, it really does change everything. DMS is coded beautifully and looks beautiful and for all these reasons and more, I do recommend updating in most cases.

That said, each situation is different. Your website looks very well put together, you say it meets all your current needs and it's nicely done. If you are indeed in a position that you don't need/want design changes or enhancements in functionality beyond what is available in Framework, and you feel you will remain in that position for the foreseeable future, then perhaps you stay put for now. But I would strongly suggest you download the free version of DMS, export/import your data and start playing around on a local server or temp host. I think you're really going to like what you see!

#3 artemesia66

artemesia66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

HI Jake,

Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like it will be worth doing when we are ready to update the look of the site, but maybe not until then. thanks for your detailed thoughts--very helpful.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

Excellent!  We look forward to seeing what extra-creative things you'll do with DMS. I'm sure you'll love it.