• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tonycultex

tonycultex

• Members

• 10 posts
  • Framework Version:1.0.3

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I want to add 2 HTML tagged text elements to the fixed navigation bar. I have attempted not using the fixed nav bar and doing it in the header but this is not going to work as I had hoped.

I have looked at the sections on Hooks, and I know where in the header.php a hook would be inserted...but this feels like a mod to existing HTML not an addition.

Any advice on how best to approach this? I'm a markup/CSS expert but I'm new to the DMS way of thinking...thank in advance.

**Important addition - I do have the Base Child theme as well...so if this is the best way to go, then I can do that...thanks.**

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi Tony,

When you say "I want to add 2 HTML tagged text elements"  what do you mean? There are many possibilities to define that, and I just want to make sure I have the right scenario.  If you have the HTML you're trying to use, please include a sample...

Thanks.

#3 tonycultex

tonycultex

• Members

• 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for your note...my question was wonky so let me approach it differently...I want to change the HTML that is defined by the ID "fixed-top". From which files is this HTML assembled? Or should I/can I just rework the mark-up in a PHP segment using the "fixed-top" data region definition? 

Thanks!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

Tony, it sounds like you're trying to modify the fixed navbar, but I'm still not sure what you want to accomplish. 

I must apologize, but could you provide some screenshots of what you have now, and what you want to accomplish?

#5 tonycultex

tonycultex

• Members

• 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for staying with me on this...please see the screenshots below: 

screenGrab_01.jpg

screenGrab_02.jpg

Sorry for the scale of the screenshots...I hope this helps simplify my request.

Thanks!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

You can set up a three column section in your header.  In the left, add a media or text box, and using the information found here: http://docs.pageline...a-branding-area to add your image.  In the right most column, add the code found in that link for social media icons.  In the middle column, add the SimpleNav menu.

In your template, also add a single column placed below the three column section.  Narrow it from 12 to 8. Using the positioner icon, move it right. Add a TextArea.

Now, each of these things you're adding have the ability to include a custom class. You write something like my-logo1 for example, in the section custom class area for the place you've added the logo.

Create custom code like this:

.my-logo1 {
margin: 0;
min-height: 1px;
}

You create a new class for each thing you're adding, and new CSS to position things, if settings don't exist. Try to avoid the temptation to code things manually when there may be settings.

#7 tonycultex

tonycultex

• Members

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for this, really, but your suggestion won't work. I'm not in the header I'm in the fixed nav bar section, and I cannot add any sections to that area, I have tried (unless I'm missing something). Secondly I am already using the header for the gallery so I cannot use the header for an HTML text element.

I get the "try to avoid the temptation to code" bit but this is a simple structural change that I will need to have done. I'm thinking that DMS just doesn't do that...

What would be most helpful would be if I could find out which files contain the HTML structure that produces the ID's "fixed-top". This region does not have the same degree of editorial flexibility as the header area.

If it is not possible for me to find this out then please let me know. Thanks!

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi,

The HTML that is generated for the Fixed Navbar can be found in the NavBar section folder section.php file.

You can create a child section of this Section so that you're not editing the core code.

You can find information on overriding default sections code here - http://docs.pageline...erride-sections

#9 tonycultex

tonycultex

• Members

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

AHH!!!! This is the answer I have been waiting for! Of course I will create a child section, but at least now I know what I'm creating a child section of! Thanks to you and Rob for helping with this!

P.S., which side were you on for the Manchester Derby today? Are you a City man or Man U? ;-)

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Im currently a depressed (the score) Manchester United fan.