Backing up DMS pages & website

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I have a few questions I wanted to ask. Firstly for some reason when I refreshed Chrome many of my text boxes, media boxes etc were positioned all over the screen and repeated. I'm not sure why or how this happened but unfortunately I had published the changes before I refreshed the page. Thankfully as it's pretty easy in DMS to get back to where I was before so I didn't loose much time. Obviously now I am careful not to break anything or loose my layout again. Therefore I was wondering how you can back-up a current state of your page(s). For example, if I'm happy with the current state of my page (design) can I save it as a theme and then re-load it later if I'm unhappy with the new changes or if something goes drastically wrong when I publish a change to my site?

Also, I have looked through the forum but I am not sure what the 'Styling Classes' box if for? If someone could please let me know what this box is for or point me to a doc that would be great.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

James

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

James,

First, I recommend two steps.  Save the template you're creating separately.  That can act as a backup of sorts as it holds the position of each section.  Then, make sure to publish before refreshing.  Doing the refresh first can wipe out changes you make.

As for the class field... it's allowing you to create one or more unique classes to apply to the bit you're adding. 

So, if I wanted to simply change the background color of the section, I might add to that box something like my-bg-color1. In Custom Code, I'd then write this CSS to make it a deep red background:

.my-bg-color1 {background-color: #C00000;}

Once published, the background of that one section would be dark, deep red.

You can have several classes, separated by commas. So, if you also wanted to style the unordered list in there, you can make the info added to that field:

my-bg-color1,my-bg-color1 ul,my-bg-color1 ul li   and you can then apply CSS specific to the unordered list and list items.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I am also wondering about this. Where is the data stored for content and text boxes, etc. I went to roll back to a revision on a page. I realize that this is a wordpress function, so it's as if the revisions are only for post/loop content of a page or post. Is this true? Where in the database are these changes being made to and if I need to roll back how do I do it?

Posted · Report post

Thanks very much for your reply Rob and I'm sorry for my late response! That's exactly what I needed to know and I appreciate the help!

Cheers, James

Posted · Report post

Always happy to help!