youtube embed not working when last entry in post

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi

if I embed a youtube video with normal url in DMS so that wordpress can pick it up as oembed it does not show up when it is the last line of test in the post. If I enter some words below the youtube link the video will show up.

Edited by hansonexperience

39 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

OK, apparently this is an issue with Wordpress 3.5 from what I've read and isn't theme specific. http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-set-oembed-max-width-in-wordpress-3-5-with-content_width/

You can either do one of two things - http://d.pr/i/8Vyi

You can either use the following code to set the width your self:

[embed width="123" height="456"] Add Media Link Here[/embed]

Or you can add the following to your child themes functions.php file:

if ( ! isset( $content_width ) ) $content_width = 600;

Replace the 600 with the width of your content area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I I enter youtube video with normal url for oembed DMS enters a small frame width="500" height="375"  although there is plenty of room. Other themes do fill the space of the postings (responsive)

Edited by hansonexperience

Posted · Report post

Hi,

To embed videos in to Wordpress, you need to make sure that the video URL is on a line by itself. Therefore, when you add the URL, make sure to press Enter to add a new line. That is why it works when you add Text below it, as you have added a new line. This information is on the Wordpress embed docs.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Not sure what you mean, can you provide a link, screenshot and the code you have used please.

Posted · Report post

Danny see: http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/2013/05/videoblog-abs-talent-award-2013.html 

Small fram for youtube video. Just 500x375 although it could be larger. In iblogpro and other thems you get a larger screen when entering youtube link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d99205rry4zyieq/Schermafbeelding%202013-09-16%20om%2011.13.59%20PM.jpg

Posted · Report post

Danny strange as this worked in iblogpro and other themes. I had the video already in earlier posts but just saw some postings now having this problem in dms. But you could be right as it is do not see it in every post. 

Could it be that dms is somehow more accurate in this?

Posted · Report post

Not sure to be honest, I don't really use the embeds much, I just tried it after reading your issue and it worked for me.

Posted · Report post

Your video is displaying correctly from the sizes you have set in the iframe code.

http://d.pr/i/RO1R

If you want to increase the size, you will need to change the dimensions in the code.

Posted · Report post

Danny yes it is working every now and then. SOmetimes it is not working.

Posted · Report post

Danny yes but I did NOT enter the size. DMS is doing that. ANd normal when you enter the YT url the dimensions are responsive as in iblogpro like when you use th shortcode of pagelines.

Now I have to use this shortcode instead of the YT video link and that's not preferable as not every theme is wprking with these short code. 

Would be nice if DMS enter an iframe which is progressive like in page lines iblogpro

Posted · Report post

If it isn't working then you most likely do not have a line break, to add media using the oEmbed the url needs to be on its own line.

All these instructions are here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds

This isn't a DMS/PageLines issue, but related to Wordpress.

Posted · Report post

Danny yeah you told me already. But this was never an issue. All those video's were there from 2004 onwards :-)

And now in DMS it is a problem...

Posted · Report post

How are you adding the videos via a URL only? If that is the case then those videos can't have been there since 2004, as oEmbeds have only been implemented since version 2.9 which was released in Dec 2009.

So if you can tell me how you have added these videos to posts, I may be able to help you.

Posted · Report post

Danny as mentioned I know these shortcode but I do not want to use them as they are not compatible with other themes.

I use oembed and always just entered the video url (as in pagelines iblogpro). Then it should be responsive.

What is the difference then between function in this in iblogpro and dms as in iblogpro it was scaling in the complete width of the posting.

Posted · Report post

Ha that's right. First I used the embed code of Youtube. In iblogpro I entered just the url of the video. And then the video was scaled to the complete width of the posting and was responsive. Now in DMS the iframe dimensions are much smaller which does not make sense. And I want as little code as possible. So just entering the url with large dimensions.

Posted · Report post

I have merged your two topics regarding Youtube.

Posted · Report post

Danny ah that's a nice trick. But how do I work with a child theme function.php? (newbie ;-) )

Posted · Report post

Danny ah that's new for me. I am going to look into that. Looks like a good way of working. Thx!! Great support of you.

Posted · Report post

No problem.

Posted · Report post

Danny right now testing on flywheel. Rick installed my blog and files but his conclusion is that my blog is still sluggish. So no solution I am afraid.

Posted · Report post

I ran a test of http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/ at http://tools.pingdom.com.  The result, unfortunately, is that your site took 12.54 seconds to load.  The truly bad part of this is that it took 10.35 seconds to load the domain.   That means it took about 2.15seconds to load DMS, WordPress, images, javascripts, etc.  That 10.35 seconds was strictly limited to the basic load time.  That's a server problem and totally unrelated to DMS, PageLines, or WordPress.

The server itself is taking 10 seconds to load basics, which is going to consistently slow you down.

You need to obtain support from your hosting company for this.

I should note here, that everything one might expect to slow a site down normally, such as compiled CSS, or images, plugins, scripts, etc... worked very, very well. Actually, wait times for everything other than the domain took a few microseconds. 

Posted · Report post

Rob yes I know and I am working on it. I am at Dreamhost provider. It is a SHared server, so that could be the problem. This trouble started after upgrading to wordpress 3.6 Before that I had no problems.

I tested with Flywheel but the same problem. So could also be partly a problem of Wordpress 3.6 as I read many complaints about slow wordpress 3.6

Right now I am setting up a testing environment in the Netherlands on a VPS. Looking into that solution.

Posted · Report post

No disrespect to Dreamhost here, but any 'shared' host has the difficult task of managing the resources on any machine and they have thousands.  One site on a server becomes popular and the rest slow down considerably.   It's probably best for you to be on VPS or even a dedicated machine (they're very inexpensive these days).  For example, I had a VPS account for US$59 a month, and now I could have a dedicated server for the same price.