Multisite 500 Error

Question

Posted · Report post

Loaded DMS on a multisite and when I switched to the pagelines theme it broke the site.  Not I just have aa 500 error saying the following

"The website encountered an error while retrievinghttp://site3.wpmu.innovationnationpro.com/wp-admin/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly."

I cannot go to admin or to the url of the site.  Has anyone else had this issue or know what may be causing it? 

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Read the docs for all 3rd party plugins or contact their developers for answers.  Anything PageLines creates is multi-site capable, but not everything our 3rd party developers creates is guaranteed to be so.  You can, and should, always ask.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I have never encountered this. However, can you go to your Wordpress directory and see if there is a .maintenance file in either the root WP directory or your sites directory. If so, please delete it and see if this resolves your issue.

Posted · Report post

I have instagrid plugin installed which was causing it but he doesnt think so.  I just want things to work and when developers say "its not my stuff" it kinda hinders the progress of the platform.  Here is the video that I shows to the dev. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLg3NDiOQNI

Posted · Report post

First of all, why are you network activating it? It isnt a network plugin.

A network plugin is something used by ALL sites on your network with shared settings, like a cache plugin for example.

Install the plugin then activate on the site you want to use it.

Secondly if your getting a 500 error, enable WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php so PHP displays the error. 500 is meaningless otherwise.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the help,alright I didnt know things were not network capable.  I just thought you activate plugins that way to use them on all sites in network.  will try this method and see what happens.  I already see a difference with turning some plugins off that were not network plugins but how would I know which are and which are not?

Posted · Report post

thanks for the info

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome.