• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DianeHolmes

DianeHolmes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

HI!  I'm checking out the free version of DMS.  I've read all the documentation and watched the video about getting started.   Even watched a couple other videos I found on YouTube.  There's a pretty big gap between average person (me, oh-so-average) and how to actually do *something*. ;)

QUESTION:  I want to add images to my site.  For example, a header image/banner.  So, at the top is the DMS navigation bar that was already there when I launched DMS via WP admin (based on pages I'd already set up).  Under that is a  Header section.  I want an image there. An actual header/banner image. Shouldn't be hard!  And I can tell DMS is supposed to be easy, but I'm missing a key piece of information, I think.  (But I'd also like to be able to add images anywhere on the site.) 

Is there an image module?  

Am I supposed to do a single column first?  

Do I have to do all images, even only a single image, through a slider?  I did try RevSlider.  I don't get it.  I have this nice 800 px wide image.  200 px high.  It blows up the image to HUGE, then takes the middle of it?  (Yes, my general settings are... Layout mode = Pixel Width and Layout Display = boxed.)

And while I'm at it, there seems to be 3 page templates.  But DMS came up (opened) with what looks like a page.  Is that based on any of these templates?  Hmmmmm.  Don't really get the page template thing.   But I assume you click a page on your site, then choose a template before doing any work.  Then save?  Does Publish save the page?  The site?

There's so much I'll love once I understand how DMS works.  Pretty sure.  Yeah.  Love is ahead.

Thanks for your help, dear peeps.  I appreciate it.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi Diane,

To add images such as a logo image, branding image etc.. you can use either the TextBox section or the MediaBox section. With the MediaBox section you can simply upload an image to that section, as well as use HTML code.

I wrote a guide here on how to create a Branding section, which has instructions on how to add a logo image, you can find this guide here - http://docs.pageline...a-branding-area

#3 DianeHolmes

DianeHolmes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Dear Danny,

Thank you!!  I had actually read your guide early on and thought, there must be another way. ;)  After all, DMS is about not coding. ;)  

I did try out your method, which does work. :)  

And I've played around with Pagelines.  At this point, it's just not to the state where non-coders can easily work with it.  I'm hitting so many oddities (Why does the HERO module offset and put the text where it goes, but  the picture where it belongs, but bumped way down?  How do you modify HERO picture size easily?  How can you change the HERO text size easily?  And that's just one module.)

But I wanted to thank you very much for your great support, and for writing documentation!  It's amazing how many cool software products have no documentation.  Fist bump, dude.  Pagelines if head and shoulders above the rest.

Best,

Diane

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Diane, thanks for the nice comments!

#5 jodymilleryoung

jodymilleryoung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Diane, you sound like a tech genius compared to me! I just installed Pagelines and I can't figure any of this stuff out. Even the tutorials from youtube are all greek to me. I want to put a nice pic as a header under my logo. I still can't figure out how to get rid of the default Pagelines big picture at the top of the homepage screen. So I'm at square one. You've figured a whole lot out more than I've been able to. 

Danny, I have no clue what you're talking about in the tutorial link. Is there someplace I can find a step by step for dummies way to set up a website using the Pagelines free theme? Help! 

Thanks. :-) 

#6 DianeHolmes

DianeHolmes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Jody,  LOL.  If Pagelines ever gets the automatic functionality that non-coders need (like check box: I want an image leader, I want image logo / I want text,only -  above navigation, below navigation), I'd even write the Dummies version!  Good luck to you. :)  -Diane

#7 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi @jodymilleryoung - I'm sorry you're having trouble getting started but you've come to the right place! Are you looking for help with the site located at http://www.barkandswagger.com/? If so, I think part of the confusion is due to the fact that you're looking at DMS documentation instead of Framework (which is powering that site). Have a look at the docs and get started video at http://support.pagel...etting-started/  and post any questions you've got in our Framework forum at http://forum.pagelin...ines-framework/. We'll do our best to point you in the right directions!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: images, general