Childe Theme - benefits?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

This may be a stupid question for advanced users and developers, But I am a beginner so don't be mad please.

I don't really understand why it is beneficial to use a child theme and how it works.

Yes, I have read the Wordpress article. It does't get overwritten when the main theme gets updated. Ok, but

I installed and activated Nick's ( beardedavenger ) child theme. Now, to change any CSS, I have (at least) two options:

1. insert custom CSS code to the child theme's style.css. Do this by FTP, bit of a hassle compared to just

2. insert the same code to the custom code section of the DMS editor.

Why is it better to leave that space empty and put code into style.css in the child theme? Would that be overwritten when the theme updates? I don't think it would?

Also, the changes I make under the editor's global options tab, such as 'site text colors', are written into where? The child theme or the main DMS? There is nothing in the child theme's style.css, so I guess they are saved into the main theme. Will those be oberwritten when I update? I don't think they will, am I wrong?

I don't speak any LESS or PHP, is the child theme still beneficial for me?

Thank you,

Istvan

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I also have questions about child themes. I'm just starting my first one today! I have installed Pagelines DMS and then installed Nick's Base Theme. I did all of the customization on the base theme, and saved it as directed in the style.css

During my experimentation, I deactivated the chile theme and activated DMS, and most of the setting carried over, so it must be saving to the parent theme.

I also noticed that there is "Publish Configuration to Child Theme" button. I tried to use it, but do not understand what it did. I still had to do additional work on the freshly created site, even after installing both DMS and child theme.

My goal is to create a child theme as I am developing a site so that I can export that theme and activate it at the client's site and everything transfers over. (This is one of the advantages that I can envision using- so that it looks like a completely custom theme from your client's perspective, even with DMS powering it).

But, I have not been able to achieve this. I have read all of the documentation (more than once) but I can't find thorough, specific information about how to make the base child theme work from start to finish to accomplish my goals. I would LOVE to find that information! Nick (@beardedavenger) seems very talented at this, so maybe he could share a tutorial? I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jackie

Posted · Report post

Hi,

There are multiple benefits to using a child theme, in addition to it being an update-protected area. You can use it to add languages, add modified sections, modify the functions.php to include hooks... all in addition to adding LESS CSS and regular CSS.

Adding your CSS to a child theme is only important if you intend to export the child theme for use in other sites.  If not, use the Custom Code option which, particularly with DMS, makes it handy and easily accessible from the Toolbar.

The child base theme is essentially invisible, but provides an excellent resource tool for customizations.  If you don't plan to customize anything, then you don't need to use it.  If you do, then by all means, please use it.  If your customizations are only going to be hooks or any stylesheets you don't want in the database, you might also use the pagelines-customize plugin.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thank you.

In this case it seems I don't need a child theme at all, as the only customisation I would do is CSS, not even LESS, let alone PHP. Maybe when I grow up... but for now, it's only CSS.

I carry on using the Custom Code section then,

Thank you for the advice,

Istvan

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome.