.PO language file

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Before I bought the theme I asked you if there was I po. file that would let me change the language of the theme and you said yes, but when I accessed the language file, I find via FTP the folder languages/ empty, where it should be the .po automatically generated by API according to the README.txt present and this page:
http://docs.pageline...translating-dms

Could you help?

Best,

Chris

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Chris, I checked and you're correct. It's not there.  We were all expecting it was located, as described earlier, and in our docs.  That process was apparently changed and the po is rendered on the fly.  I'll have to research this during the day Friday when I can reach our developers.

I apologize for all the delays and confusion.

Posted · Report post

No worries. Thanks for the quick reply.

Posted · Report post

Hi Romler,

An up to date .pot is always available on the free Transifex DMS Translation Project. The last one was updated a few hours ago (I ensured that with other coordinators), retrieved from DMS 1.0.3.

Quite a few DMS users already collaborate on this project and everyone is welcomed to use and/or help. See this "Translation/Localization of DMS to your own language" topic for further details.

As you can see .po files are of course avalaible too and some translations are already 100%.

The Transifex tool is rather self-explanatory (e.g. go to https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/pagelines-dms/language/en/, click on "dmspot", and choose what do download).

I'm of course at your disposal though if you face issues.

Hope it will help!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thank you again Erwan!

Posted · Report post

Thanks @Erwan! Was helpfull, but still having issus with the translation. I downloaded the .po original files and the deutsch translation, but I'm still not sure how to make them work, I've uploaded to the language/ file with seemingly no results.

Posted · Report post

Hi Romler,

The Dutch .po file you dowloaded from Transifex should be named:

• either "for_use_pagelines-dms_dmspot_nl_NL.po" ("Download for use" --> all translated strings, including those not reviewed/"approved" by managers of the project),
  • either "for_use_reviewed_pagelines-dms_dmspot_nl_NL.po" ("Download only reviewed translations" --> only reviewed/"approved" strings).

Now:

1. Rename it: nl_NL.po (exactly: never dms.po or pagelines.po for instance!)

2. Open it with Poedit

3. Just save it within Poedit: the app automatically creates a nl_NL.mo file

4. Put your nl_NL.po & nl_NL.mo files in a language folder:

• eiither in wp-content\themes\dms\language (works, not recommended)
  • or \wp-content\plugins\pagelines-customize\language (works, recommended)
  • or in wp-content\themes\my-dms-child-theme-created-by-romler\language (recommended: see why in DMS doc Translating DMSplease note: this method doesn't work yet with DMS 1.0.3, but I fixed it and it will work in next DMS release. If you feel comfortable, you can of course download right now from GitHub the DMS core updated file

5. Last but not least, check you do have in your wp-config.php file: define ('WPLANG', 'nl_NL');

Hope it's clear & will work: please let me know!

Posted · Report post

Thanks @Erwan! This must be it. I´ll tell you it went :thumbsu:

Posted · Report post

Romler Glad I could help, hope it does work now ;).

Posted · Report post

Hi Romler, did you sort it out?

Btw, all files (.pot / .po) mentioned above are of course up to date (i.e. DMS v.1.0.4) in the DMS Transifex Translation Center.