• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shelynx

shelynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Everything's working just fine after using a child theme though I really miss the magazine style for search results etc. BUT While trying to keep the first page a little shorter I added the "Read More" link in the articles. 

I would love to change the Text though. - Where can I find it or what do I have to add where?

Additionally - since I am an absolute CSS Newbie though trying - : is it possible to change the format (colour, etc) of the Read More Link without changing ALL links on the blog? 

I really appreciate your help! Best wishes and thank you!

#2 shelynx

shelynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Update: Have been able to change only the paramters of the "more-link" - But havn't been able to find where to change the text so far.

#3 shelynx

shelynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Having a problem always is a good way to get curious how to solve it by oneself. - So I did... In case anyone is looking for the same thing: 

A) Changing the "Read More" Text

Here is the solution:

find the class.posts.php and search for "Read More" - Just replace it with any text you wish and Save. 

B) Changing the Look of "Read More"

Find the style.css in your child theme (I got Nick's - look here - there's another forum post concerning it. 

Here is just my version of the "Read More" - you can change anything from size to color, effect, hover effect or more). 

/*Read More Link - Style*/
.more-link {
Color: #8aa49e;
font-size: 130%;
font-variant: small-caps;
text-decoration:underline;
}

.more-link:hover {
 Color: #AD7f7f;
 font-size:180%;
    }

I know - that is newbie stuff  - but I guess there might be some others like me here. 

I have just one remaining question:

I didn't want to change a main file of DMS itself but I don't know how to create a functionable class.posts.php in the child theme itself. I would appreciate help there since I don't want to mess with the original files. 

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

The editing of core files is ABSOLUTELY NOT permitted or supported.  Additionally, it will result in the files being overwritten.  Please do not tell people to edit core files unless you're prepared to offer them support when the next upgrade wipes out the changes you recommended (and it will).  We won't support them.

While I understand you're trying to be helpful to others, please think clearly and check with someone first before posting something like that.

Magazine mode would be available with a paid subscription.

#5 shelynx

shelynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I am sorry - I really wanted to help and to find a good solution. That's why I specifically asked for a way to get this into a child theme. - Do you have any advice for me to change "Read More" in a child theme?

Please feel free to delete the improper content I wrote. - I can't edit the posts now. I wasn't aware it was such a problem so please don't take it so harsh I found a solution myself. Please be so kind to help me find another one. Changing the Text of "Read more" shouldn't" be so difficult. Maybe another idea for an update?

Edited by shelynx, 08 September 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Unfortunately, class.posts.php is not in a section, but in core files. Sections in DMS can be ported to a child theme.  Core files will likely not work from a child theme.

Luckily, you were looking in the wrong place to begin with.  So, reinstall the core files if you changed them.

Download from your site wp-content/themes/dms/sections/postloop

Upload it to your child theme's sections folder.

Open the postloop section.  Edit the section.php file. Search for Read More.  You'll find the default text there.  You can edit that as desired.  Save. Re-upload to the child theme in the postloop section. 

That's how you do it, safely.

Sorry if I was harsh, but this is a serious issue for me and my fellow moderators.  You might try to read the docs which cover most of this pretty well. http://docs.pagelines.com

#7 ovidiuav

ovidiuav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 1.0.3

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

@Rob

Too bad that only works when you have excerpts enabled. shelynx's solution works even when you insert the 'more' tag.

@shelynx

Thank you for sharing, the information really helped me. Don't worry, I won't be expecting support from you after an update replaces the edited file, I can take care of that myself. The whole "don't edit core files" thing makes sense up to a point, but sometimes they act as if everyone's an imbecile, like in this case, making a huge fuss over replacing the "Read More" text. They'd rather you not change what you want to change and be disatisfied with it instead of helping you if it involves editing "core files," no matter how minuscule the change, like in this case.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

No one is making a huge fuss.  We have rules about these things, even if people don't like them.  They are there to protect everyone.  You'd not be too pleased if work you did was wiped out and the person providing the information wasn't a responsible party, like our team.

I don't mean any disrespect, but we're trying to insure everyone has a good experience with the product. Considering the price, following some simple rules shouldn't be so difficult, particularly when those rules are intended to protect your interests and your site's integrity.

Translations can be found via https://www.transife.../pagelines-dms/

#9 markfsimmons

markfsimmons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

How did you change the length of where it adds the ellipses to break the paragraph before the read more? I'd like more lines. 

#10 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

HI @markfsimmons - In the DMS visual editor for the Content/PostLoop section, you'll see set of excerpt configurations, and one that allows you to enter a specific number of words.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Read More