Parallax Image Issue. Shows Part Of Bottom Of Image

Question

Posted · Report post

Have a client who really loves the evernote.com website SO I decided to just play with it and create a mock-up/clone of the site to show them and add a parallax effect below the main area. (No, I won't be using this as a final site since I don't rip off existing sites like that...haha!  Just doing this to kinda surprise the client)...Anyhow, this is the first time I have tried playing with the parallax for an actual project and the first two times, I never really looked up documentation on it.  Well, I have looked things up and can't seem to figure out how to make this work. 

I read something on another post and James (guy who owns usingpagelines.com) said that you should make the image significantly taller than the section area it's in.  Well, my section area height is 700px right now (tried 800, 900, etc) and the image I'm using is 2800px hight and it still crops and shows part of the image up top before the main image slides over it.  I'm assuming this is definitely not how it's supposed to work so just wondering if anyone has had success getting the build in parallax to function properly?  Really would love to incorporate it into some upcoming jobs.

The domain I own that I added this to is at http://atcfitnessandweightloss.com/.  Once you scroll down past the green area, you see the image I uploaded and how it's showing a part of the bottom portion of the picture up top.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I've asked James G to chime in. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll shed some light on this.

I'm aching to find out myself!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hey!  Thanks for posting.  The issue is related to the size of your navbar.  The parallax feature that's built in makes an assumption that your navbar is the same height as the default when it makes its calculations.  If you edit the size of the navbar (which both you and I do a lot) it doesn't know how to compensate and that's why your image does what it does.  

If you're comfortable enough with the JS to jump in and sort it out yourself, that's the way to go (I don't actually know where or how to edit this...yet) or if you're looking for a really quick fix I would recommend picking up Depth Charge from the store.  It's what I use on Using PageLines and does all the correcting for the size of the navbar (I worked with the developer to specifically make sure this was the case).  It also takes parallax to the next level in terms of what you can do with it.  

Anyway, that's the reason WHY the parallax is doing what it's doing but as to solving it, without jumping into the code, I don't know that there's much you can do.

Thanks again for writing!

James.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Rob/James

Thanks for the feedback! That at least gives me an idea of what is going on!

James

Posted · Report post

Man @atcdomainsolutions you did a great job.  How long did you take to do something like that?  Kinda confusion which is real site of Evernote :D

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Man @atcdomainsolutions you did a great job.  How long did you take to do something like that?  Kinda confusion which is real site of Evernote :D

rmaxsg

Thanks!  It took me about 45 minutes to do this one.  Just wanted to get something up pretty quick.  Funny since the part that challenged a bit was editing the "Join Us" blue button.  The default iCallout button is pretty large so I had to play with the CSS to get it to mimic Evernote's as much as possible.

Posted · Report post

Oh my god. that way faster than me. i will need a day or almost 6 hours to do something like yours.   Good job.  Where did you learn thoughs skill.  Have any tips for me?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

James, couldn't the problem simply be solved if the section area background images were vertically centered, instead of top-aligned?

Regardless of the parallax effect, I'd like the background images to be vertically centered. The focus of most images are in the center of the image.

Posted · Report post

Oh my god. that way faster than me. i will need a day or almost 6 hours to do something like yours.   Good job.  Where did you learn thoughs skill.  Have any tips for me?

Honestly, I never had any training. Tons of hands on time playing with code and templates. I also started keeping an on going Word doc with tricks and tips I learned from just practice and practice... It's almost at 90 pages now... Haha.

Posted · Report post

KInda goofey that an adjustable NAvbar height would cause this. Seems like a design flaw. 

I've ben attampting Custom CSS fixes, but so far with no luck. Has anyone figured out how to override that backgroung-image style so the image does not repeat at the top of the div?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted · Report post

@atcdomainsolutions: that's what Evernote is for! lol