Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to insert Component section into Columns

Question

Posted · Report post

Can someone please help to explain how to place a 'component' section into a 'layout' section. I just installed DMS to find that the Banners don't exist and found the following advice on the forum (http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28216-banners-boxes-branding-features-sections/?hl=banners). I assume that I should just drag the 2 column icon into the template area and then drag a media box or text box icon into the 2 column section ...... ? 

However when I do this the text box/media box just makes a different section either above or below the 2 column section and doesn't 'insert into' the 2 column section. I am unable to upload screenshots because it doesn't work for some reason on this forum (see my post http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/29590-dms-toolbar-not-working/  ) so please refer to this screencast.

http://screencast.com/t/k7YayINcFjBq

I've read everything I can find on the the Docs regarding sections/tutorials etc but there is no actual explanation of how to do this so either I'm doing something wrong or there is something wrong with set up etc....   . I should also note that since managing to install the DMS the page refresh time takes about 2-15 mins each time and most of the time however it just refuses to refresh and I then have to login to Wordpress and start over again - which is driving me insane. If I change back to the Framework theme there are no problems.

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Richard,

I'm sorry my replies were less than satisfactory to you. 

The problem you're having with your ability to drag and drop some sections into others has more to do with cursor sensitivity than anything else.  I've seen this a few times -- the mouse is very sensitive to movement, therefore when you drag and drop, if you don't hold the section exactly where it's supposed to go till the destination container changes color, you'll 'overshoot' the container, dropping the section outside it.   Actually, it's happened to me, and so the solution is to check the mouse sensitivity settings in your computer.

This would allow you more control as it holds the section in place longer, allowing you more precision in dropping the section where desired.

While it is rather complex, and the solutions do not need any coding, this article helps with understanding of the issue: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575532   The computer's settings, whether Windows or Mac OS, will let you calibrate the control of your cursor.

As for Banners, there was little that banners actually did that DMS sections, such as Hero, Callout, Highlight or Masthead, can't do, comparably, if not better.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

You most likely have a conflict with a plugin or something as the 2 Column section icon should appear like that. When you add the 2 Column section to your template, it shoudl look like this:

http://d.pr/i/H4eD

Then you proceed to drag and drop sections into each column.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny - so just spent yet more time deactivating all the plugins and still no good. Either the page freezes, it crashes or takes up to 15 mins to reload without being able to add content/sections. Have now spent the best part of the week 'trying to install DMS' and getting very frustrated ! Could it be a browser thing ? a server thing ? - I tried now from 3 computers running Chrome and same response so not sure it's a browser thing. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

And how come the attachment buttons for forum posts don't work for me ...... could this be related ?

Posted · Report post

This is really too much now. I have been literally up all night and it is still not working - not only this but now my site has completely crashed. Enough is enough. I work 16 hours a day and 7 days a week for my job. The reason to purchase something like DMS is so that it is 'idiot proof' for people like me and the last thing I really want is to be spending what little hours of the day I have trying to understand and build websites. 

I'm not interested anymore in trying to solve this problem as I'm sure there is going to be another and another etc. It's been a week and it's cost me time, money and clients and I can't even get the most basic things to work to even BEGIN to rebuild my site. I just hope I can recover my website now as I can not even login to the admin panel.  I shall be requesting a refund from the help desk. However thanks for your help Danny on this forum - you are the only person who has offered any help other than one short post from Rob which was of no use. Have been very impressed by this forum in the past but totally unimpressed right now. Regards, Richard

Posted · Report post

Way too late Rob - I really got the shits here and am totally fed up with the whole thing. I have now purchased another Theme and have requested a refund from the helpdesk. Naturally that was 4 days ago now and I have yet to hear a response. And Rob are you seriously telling me that my site crashed because of my mouse sensitivity !?

Posted · Report post

ok just heard from the help line and got the refund - makes me a little happier - thanks