Main Nav Inheriting CSS from Superfish.css Can't Overwrite

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

I was simply trying to change the color of the text for the main nav in PlatformPro 1.0.9 with the base theme installed. Unfortunately, no matter what CSS I seem to write in the base.css file to control the text color it inherits the text color from the /sections/nav/superfish.css file. Typically I would just go and edit the superfish.css file, but I'm trying to stick with the child theme concept for the sake of logic and reason.

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

right; to fix you'll just want to get extra specific with your css rules. So give us an example of what you're trying to change? Are you running Firebug?

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

Here is what I was trying to change in the superfish.css: #primary-nav ul.sf-menu a, .sf-menu a:visited { /* visited pseudo selector so IE6 applies text colour*/ color: #666; } Now, I know that simply copying this into the base.css and changing the color will not override the setting in superfish.css. The question is: how can this be achieved in the base.css so that future changes to PlatformPro will not overwrite any changes made, like the one I had to make to the superfish.css to accomplish this. Also, I have been having other issues getting css I save to base.css to override PlatformPro. For example, in a previous post you may remember my question about changing the width of the feature box. I found the css governing this, and added it to base.css and changed 100% to 70%: #feature_slider{ position:relative; z-index:0; overflow: hidden; width: 70%; } However, the change did not occur until I edited the pro.css file located in the PlatformPro folder. Is there something I am not doing right in editing the base.css? Thank you.

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

CSS works on specificity. An easy way to make everything from base.css work is to be more specific by adding body to the front of every selector. So... ` body #feature_slider{ position:relative; z-index:0; overflow: hidden; width: 70%; } ` should do the trick. Also, When Platform is updated, nothing should get over written in the base.css that is the beauty of using it for customizations.