Menu bar color

Question

Posted · Report post

Can the menu bar be given a diff colour than  those available, if so does anyone have sample code on applying a gradient and new color ? 

Where is this applied, in the custom CCS section ?

Much appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

I have been trying to work through an issue with this myself today. I have set up DMS with a child theme wherein I am attempting to make some changes to the styles.less file to add a gradient to override the pre-packaged options in DMS. I add the following lines to the styles.less file:

.navbar.pl-color-red {
background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(rgb(188, 14, 16)), to(rgb(149, 0, 5)));
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(GradientType=0,StartColorStr='#bc0e10', EndColorStr='#950005');
border-top: 1px solid rgb(149, 0, 5);
}
.navbar.pl-color-red .searchform .searchfield {
  border: 1px solid rgb(149, 0, 5);
}

I noticed that it is being compiled in the /wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-xxxxxxxxx.css file and it is not being overridden by the child theme's style.css file, yet it is not being reflected on my site. If I plug the same code into either the Custom Code section on the DMS editor or directly into the child theme's styles.css file, it does take effect. I have been searching all day for the answer to this issue. I simply want to be able to edit the child theme's styles.less file and have the modifications take place.

Any suggestions from anyone on what I am doing wrong?
I am developing locally and here is the output of my DMS debug:

WordPress Version : 3.6 Multisite Enabled : No Current Role : Administrator Framework Path : /Users/highlander/Dropbox/Websites/angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms Framework URI : http://angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms Framework Version : 1.0.3 Framework Build : 1.0.3 PHP Version : 5.3 Child theme : Yes
/Users/highlander/Dropbox/Websites/angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms-template-theme
http://angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms-template-theme PHP memory : 256 Mysql version : 5.1.44 PHP type : Apache2handler PHP User : Highlander OS : Darwin Licence OK : Warren@peatfirestudios.com Plugins : 3
custom-sidebars/customsidebars.php
easy-random-quotes/kl-easyrandomquotes.php
feedwordpress/feedwordpress.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Warren

Posted · Report post

peatfire You are very close. You just need to be more specific with your CSS and target .section-navbar.

Try .section-navbar .navbar.pl-color-red { your code }

See if that works.

Ellen

Posted · Report post

Thank you so much Ellen! Spot on.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ellen is always spot on! :)

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

I have been trying to work through an issue with this myself today. I have set up DMS with a child theme wherein I am attempting to make some changes to the styles.less file to add a gradient to override the pre-packaged options in DMS. I add the following lines to the styles.less file:

.navbar.pl-color-red {
background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(rgb(188, 14, 16)), to(rgb(149, 0, 5)));
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
background-image: linear-gradient(top, rgb(188, 14, 16), rgb(149, 0, 5));
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(GradientType=0,StartColorStr='#bc0e10', EndColorStr='#950005');
border-top: 1px solid rgb(149, 0, 5);
}
.navbar.pl-color-red .searchform .searchfield {
  border: 1px solid rgb(149, 0, 5);
}

I noticed that it is being compiled in the /wp-content/uploads/pagelines/compiled-css-xxxxxxxxx.css file and it is not being overridden by the child theme's style.css file, yet it is not being reflected on my site. If I plug the same code into either the Custom Code section on the DMS editor or directly into the child theme's styles.css file, it does take effect. I have been searching all day for the answer to this issue. I simply want to be able to edit the child theme's styles.less file and have the modifications take place.

Any suggestions from anyone on what I am doing wrong?
I am developing locally and here is the output of my DMS debug:

WordPress Version : 3.6 Multisite Enabled : No Current Role : Administrator Framework Path : /Users/highlander/Dropbox/Websites/angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms Framework URI : http://angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms Framework Version : 1.0.3 Framework Build : 1.0.3 PHP Version : 5.3 Child theme : Yes
/Users/highlander/Dropbox/Websites/angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms-template-theme
http://angola3.dev/wp-content/themes/dms-template-theme PHP memory : 256 Mysql version : 5.1.44 PHP type : Apache2handler PHP User : Highlander OS : Darwin Licence OK : Warren@peatfirestudios.com Plugins : 3
custom-sidebars/customsidebars.php
easy-random-quotes/kl-easyrandomquotes.php
feedwordpress/feedwordpress.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Warren

peatfire You are very close. You just need to be more specific with your CSS and target .section-navbar.

Try .section-navbar .navbar.pl-color-red { your code }

See if that works.

Ellen

Would that be the same Ellen if not applied to a child theme, just to confirm before I try it, thanks 

Posted · Report post

@j powers Yes, it will work in the custom code area.peatfire code works for the Red Navbar in case you use his example.

Ellen