Photo
- - - - -

Display different blog post on different pages?

blog posts

Best Answer Rob , 03 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well, this has me dazed.

A good ecommerce system doesn't put the products in the homepage, unless you set it to do that.

You should be using categories. 

You can also control your homepage by creating a static hompeage.  Your blog page is supposed to show everything, but that doesn't mean you have to make it public.  You can use it as a backup page, and create speciality pages displaying posts by category, using plugins like Special Recent Posts.

Authors can be set up, so that you have author profiles, and again, categories work well.

In your menu, make the DIY link to that category, which then lets you display posts only from that category when they go to that link.

You have many options with WordPress. Direct category link, or create a page that brings you to the category page. WP is very flexible, and thus lets you create as many pages and categories as you desire.  The blog page is just a list of everything added and doesn't  have to be displayed.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to display or segregate different blog posts to different pages? The website I'm working on has several different functions:

1. an eCommerce component (Daily Deals and other stuff - under the Daily Deals tab)

2. Guest authors who give tips and advice to the audience. (under the Savvy Sisters tab)

3. a Do-It-Yourself section with different ideas (under the DIY Tips tab)

When a Daily Deal is created I want it to show up under the Daily Deals tab/page. When an guest author creates a post, it should show up under the Savvy Sisters tab/page, and when we post DIY tips they should show up under the DYI Tips tab/page.

From what I can tell, all blog posts go on your blog page and can not be segregated to different pages. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help! 

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:45 PM   Best Answer

Well, this has me dazed.

A good ecommerce system doesn't put the products in the homepage, unless you set it to do that.

You should be using categories. 

You can also control your homepage by creating a static hompeage.  Your blog page is supposed to show everything, but that doesn't mean you have to make it public.  You can use it as a backup page, and create speciality pages displaying posts by category, using plugins like Special Recent Posts.

Authors can be set up, so that you have author profiles, and again, categories work well.

In your menu, make the DIY link to that category, which then lets you display posts only from that category when they go to that link.

You have many options with WordPress. Direct category link, or create a page that brings you to the category page. WP is very flexible, and thus lets you create as many pages and categories as you desire.  The blog page is just a list of everything added and doesn't  have to be displayed.

#3 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hi Rob!

Dazed! Haha, love it! I really appreciate your insight and expertise. I'm still learning Wordpress. It seems like there's always more to know, especially when you set out to do something new. I'll dig deeper into using categories. You know of any good tutorials or articles that I should look at that explore using categories? Obviously I need to learn more about them.

Thanks again!

Jeff :)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Jeff,  I'm using WP for 6 years and still learning. 

This is a good place to learn

#5 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hey Rob,

Downloaded the Special Recent Posts PRO. Pretty slick. Thanks!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Excellent.  I'm glad to hear it! 

#7 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hey Rob,

So I've learned a lot about using categories. The plugins are slick and I'm digging the progress. However, so far from what I can see, the plugins only create the category posts in the side bar, not the main content area for a target page.

I watched this YouTube video and did what he suggested, but couldn't get it to work. In the comments section, he states that some themes do not work with what he was teaching. Can Pagelines populate category posts in the content area of a page?

Thanks!

Jeff

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Jeff, in the widget, when you're in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and click on SRP Pro, and you set up all the options for a category, at the bottom of one of the panels, you will see the shortcode.  Copy it, then cancel the implementation of the category in the sidebar.

Paste the shortcode anywhere you desire -- pages, posts. etc.

#9 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Ah hah! I'll give that a try. Thanks Rob. Have a great weekend!

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

You too!

#11 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hey Rob,

So I follow the instructions you gave and it posted them on the right page, hooray! However, the posts don't display right.

The Home Page (Where the blog currently is) posts correctly (

However, the page I tested the code on, 

, does not display right. As you can see the content overlaps the thumbnail and the posts are not evenly displayed on the page. The overlap also happens on the sidebar, on both pages.

Is this an issue with the theme, or the plugin? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

#12 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi Jeff

Looking at your link it seems that it's the code inside special recent posts which isn't displaying the thumbnail container at the correct width. You can fix this with css though using the code below. Just paste it into the custom code box and save.

div.srp-widget-container a {
    outline: medium none;
    width: 100px;
}

That should give this result -

#13 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip! I wish knew how to program though. Even after looking at your Screencast, I still have no clue where I would even find the custom code box. And once I did find the box, where would I past the code?

Thanks,

Jeff

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Jeff, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code and paste James' code on the first new line under body {}

Save the settings.  View the site. The change should be implemented.  If not, refresh your browser and view.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blog posts