Photo
- - - - -

Problem with dms.zip

installation

Best Answer denis24 , 08 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hallelujah!  Simon emailed me dms.zip and it installed smoothly via the WordPress Installer.  DMS is now running on my site.

So, let's see, the problem was NOT:

1. A WP installer issue or plugin conflict (Rob's first guess, 3 september)

2. A previous version of PageLines as the active theme (Danny, 4 september)

3. A poorly configured server  (Danny, 4 september)

4. Trying to unzip the file in my website (Rob, 5 september)

5.  Browser plugins (Rob, 7 september)

6. Anti-virus programs (Rob, 7 september)

The problem, in the end, was with...(wait for it)...  the dms.zip archive downloaded from PageLines!  Which is what I kept trying to tell you. 

Perhaps the problem is not with the file on your server, but with the download process activated by the "Download Latest DMS" button under the My Downloads tab at https://www.pagelines.com/my-account/  As Simon pointed out, for some reason the whole file was not being downloaded (I downloaded it at least 7 times without success). 

It appears I'm not the only one affected.  I hope you guys can figure out why this is happening.  DMS looks like a great theme.  Too bad it took me a week to install it.

Best wishes.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

I cannot install DMS.  Trying to install via the WordPress Admin / Install Theme I get this error message:

"The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature"

I downloaded the zip file from pagelines.com tonight.

I don't think this is a problem with WordPress since I also cannot unzip the file on my Mac, getting this error:

"Unable to expand "dms.zip"into "DMS" [or any other folder I put the file into] (Error 2: No such file or directory.)"

What gives?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

I don't know what gives, but likely its a WP installer issue or plugin conflict. 

Let's go about this a different way.

Download it via your account, presuming you have one, at http://www.pagelines.com/my-account.  Unzip the file.  You'll see a folder named dms.  Save the folder to your desktop.

FTP to your site and navigate to wp-content/themes.   See if you find a dms folder there. If so, delete it.  Once complete, upload the dms folder from your desktop to the same location.  I strongly urge you not to try and overwrite any existing folders or files as that can cause other issues.

Once the folder is fully uploaded, browse to your website's dashboard to Appearance > Themes.  Activate DMS.  Now, in Chrome, you can view the website (logged in as Admin) and start editing or building your site.

#3 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Nope.

I downloaded dms.zip via my account at http://www.pagelines.com/my-account.  When I try to unzip the file (using Archive Utility.app), I get the second error message I reported yesterday:  "Unable to expand "dms.zip"into "DMS" [or any other folder I put the file into] (Error 2: No such file or directory.)"

I am running Mac OS 10.7.5 on a MacBook Pro.

BTW, I am trying to install DMS into a fresh install of WordPress 3.6-pt_BR with NO plug-ins installed.  When I try to upload the dms.zip file using the WP installer, I get the first error message I reported yesterday. 

This is quite frustrating....

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15812 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

If you download from PageLines.com, there is no need to extract the zip, just install DMS using the Wordpress Theme Installer.

Now in regards to your issue, do you have any previous versions of PageLines installed such as Platform or PageLines Framework. If so, please disable theses if one of them is the active theme, enable Twenty Twelve or Thirteen. Once, you have done this, install DMS using the Wordpress Theme installer and this may resolve your issue.

If it doesn't then you most likely have a poorly configured server.

#5 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Still no luck.

I have Twenty Thirteen installed as the active theme.  I get the same error message as before using the WP installer.

BTW, I ordinarily would not extract the .zip file.  I only tried this to see if the problem was with the WP installer, or with the .zip. 

I followed the hype leading up to the release of DMS, and I've been eager to try it.  But I've never had a problem like this just trying to install the theme.  I'm ready to give up on it.

#6 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

PS:  The site is hosted on Dreamhost.com.  Are you suggesting that their server is poorly configured for WordPress?  I kind of doubt it.

#7 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

More info:  I tried a fresh download of dms.zip from my Pagelines account, and tried to extract it using Stuffit Expander (instead of Archive Utility.app)  I get an error message saying "A failure has occurred.  The archive may be damaged."

Please don't tell me this is an issue with Wordpress or my server. 

#8 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

More info:  I asked the support team at Dreamhost.com to check my account.  Some posts on the WordPress forums suggest these error messages can appear if you don't have enough disk space on the account to unzip the archive, or if there is a problem with permissions on the account.  Dreamhost told me neither was the case with my account.

They also said: 

"If you cannot extract the contents on your computer, how can WordPress do it? :)

They [PageLines] definitely need to look into the archive and put a fresh one on
their website."

Please help.  I would like to try out DMS because I have enjoyed using Pagelines and Platform.  But if I can't install the damn zip file I will have to give up.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

The instructions I provided said to unzip the file to your desktop, not your dashboard. That means you need to use something like Winzip for Windows based machines, or WinRar, or Zipeg for Mac. It shouldn't be unzippped to your site but to your local computer.  It sounds like you're somehow trying to unzip the file in your website. I never said to do that.

The archive has been downloaded by more than 50,000 people and it works.

#10 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm going to try this one more time:

I am NOT trying to unzip the file in my website.  As I have clearly explained before, I have been trying for days to do two things:  1) Upload the zip using the WP theme installer.  This doesn't work.  2) Extract the zip archive to my computer.  I'm doing this to determine if the problem is with my Wordpress installation, my server or the zip archive itself.  Here again are the details:

1) I downloaded dms.zip from my account on pagelines.com.  Just to make sure the zip archive wasn't corrupted during the download, I have tried this 5 times, with the same results for each downloaded file.

2) I have tried several times to upload the dms.zip file to my site using WordPress' Install Theme prcess.  Like this:

http://www.designder...ller-screen.png

My site has a fresh install of WordPress 3.6-pt_BR with NO plug-ins installed and Twenty Thirteen as the active theme.  I consistently receive the following error message:

"The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature"

http://www.designder...ller(pt-BR).png

3) To make sure the problem is not with my WordPress installation, I tried to upload the theme to another site (with admin in English) and I get the same error.

http://www.designder...ller(en-US).png

4) As I've said before, I checked with Dreamhost support and they say my account has plenty of space on it and there are no problems with permissions.  They wrote:

"The [PageLines] moderators are not listening to you. You clearly say (several times)
that the archive is corrupt. If you cannot extract the contents on your
computer, how can WordPress do it? :)

"They definitely need to look into the archive and put a fresh one on
their website. I checked the temp partition and there is free space. I
also checked the permissions and everything is correct."

5) Since the problem doesn't seem to be with my WordPress installation or my server, I have tried several times to extract the zip archive onto my computer.  Again no luck.  I get these error messages:

Archive Utility.app

http://www.designder...ive-Utility.png

Stuffit Expander.app

http://www.designder...age-Stuffit.png

Zipeg.app

http://www.designder...ssage-Zipeg.png

6) All of this evidence points to a problem with dms.zip, or its compatibility with Mac OS 10.7.5.  If you still think I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.  Otherwise I'm giving up on DMS.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

If more than 55,000 people have downloaded and installed DMS from the same source (as I have just two minutes ago) and successfully installed it, I must preclude despite all the 'evidence' that the problem is occurring in your download.  This could be the result of browser plugins, anti-virus programs, etc.  

I must also point out that our developers use Mac computers, so the concept of their being some Mac related issue is far-stretched.  My developers have also checked the currently available zip and found no problem, using their Macs.

Please download the zip using another computer and see if it works from there. 

#12 heathernelson

heathernelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I am having a similar issue. When downloading the zip file, it initially says it is 4.2MB, this then changes to 2.1MB and finishes downloading. When I try and open the zip file it says it is invalid.

I am on Windows 7. Any ideas?

#13 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm perfectly willing to believe the problem is in the download process, but I don't know what's causing it. 

I disabled all plug-ins and extensions in my browser (Firefox 23.0.1) and tried a fresh download from my Pagelines account.  The same error messages appear.  I am not rnning an anti-virus program.

I tried it in Safari with no extensions; same thing.

I tried it in Safari on my wife's MacBook; same thing.

Now Heather is reporting an "invalid" zip -- perhaps a related problem?  And another post on this forum mentions the same problem; it is unresolved.

http://forum.pagelin...n-error-report/

I'm giving up on DMS untl this mystery is solved. 

• heathernelson likes this

#14 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

There is nothing wrong with the zip.

http://screencast.com/t/40DNMgRHi

Perhaps you could do the following:

1. Tell us the exact address you downloaded from.

2. Upload the file somewhere so we can see it.

#15 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

As I have said a few times, I am downloading the dms.zip archive within my Pagelines account by clicking the blue "Download Latest DMS button" under the My Downloads tab at https://www.pagelines.com/my-account/

I have uploaded my latest download to http://www.createvolution.net/dms.zip

Thanks for taking a look at it.  This one has me stumped.

#16 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Your zip is only half the file.

The file is 4.2M yours is 2.2M for whatever reason.

As you can see by my video it downloads and installs fine, for me and 1000's of other people.

Im sorry to here your having trouble downloading it so i'll upload it here for you.

LINK REMOVED

#17 heathernelson

heathernelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Simon,

Thank you thank you thank you.

The problem is in the download. I have successfully downloaded it from the link you provided. My previous attempts were from my account within pagelines but they were obviously only downloading part of the file for some reason.

I have now successfully downloaded and installed dms :) :) :) :) :) :)

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Excellent news!

#19 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I've removed the link so that someone in future doesn't grab that file when we're at some future version.

#20 denis24

denis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Simon -

Could you send me the link via email?  I didn't see your post until after Rob removed ithe link.

Thanks!

Denis

denis@createvolution.net

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: installation