How to deal with former Box content

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Everyone:

I used Pagelines Framework primarily for the flexibility of boxes and box sets - which it looks like it not longer exists in DMS.

Is there a way I can reproduce this type of layout using responsive grid and a post category or tag to display the items?  The items repeat in several pages, so using iboxes looks like it would take lots of work to build over and over...

Hoping that there is an easy solution and that pagelines wouldn't just abandon such a powerful layout and publishing feature.

Sample of how I used boxes is http://puertoricohotelreservations.com/meetings-conventions/ where each of the boxes is also displayed under other categories.

Thanks! ps. not a programmer, so hooks, etc that might be overwitten with upgrades would be an issue... 

37 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Thanks - this might work...  but I only get two columns in magazine mode - is there a setting, or CSS that can change it to three columns?

Just a note of Anyloop:

Looks like AnyLoop has the layout I need - but it has the same issue as Filtering in that it just displays the standard WP excerpt.

I think that this was the value of the old 'boxes' content - it would let you include text formatting within the listings - whereas WP strips out all text formatting like paragraphs, tags, etc. in the exceprts.  There are a few plugins that claim to let you keep formatting, but I couldn't get them to work in combination with Filtering...

Posted · Report post

You can use the old Boxes section in DMS, I'm sure I have already linked it in a previous post, but I have linked it again just incase.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/td816ccbrbg0xjk/pagelines-legacy-sections.zip

Download that and install like you would a standard Wordpress plugin. Once installed, activate it and when you go to your Front-end of your website, from the DMS Toolbar > Add Sections, you should have all the old sections from PageLines Framework.

Posted · Report post

Is there a way to change magazine layout to 3 columns?

I have the legacy plugin and it works fine...

I know that I can do this...  I just hate to develop new sites with 'legacy' platforms....

DMS has so many great features - I was hoping to get the same effect on the new platform.

I'll keep looking for the perfect solution...

Posted · Report post

Well there is no reason why you can't use the MediaBox or Textbox and create a three column layout with them, just reduce the width of each box until you have 3 in a row.

In regards to making magazine mode three columns, its not possible out of the box.

Posted · Report post

OK - thanks for all the help...

I've been a dedicated pagelines customer for years and have virtually all my clients on pagelines framework...

I'm just regretting that the upgraded platform doesn't let me continue to utilize the same layout that I've used through all previous versions of page lines...

I may be an exception to the way I utilize the features, but I'm at the point that I'll have to see if there is another platform out there that will do what pagelines used to let me do - easily set up a 3-column, magazine-style layout...

I'll give it one more shot with textbox and give AnyLoop a try... in a last-ditch effort to keep using page lines - but otherwise may have to look elsewhere for future clients that want my type of website...  (and 3 other developers who I have recommended page lines and used similar layouts that apparently can't be reproduced in DMS).

Thanks for all your help - the great support has been one major reason I love page lines - and will certainly miss it...

Let's hope I can figure something out - I'll post if I do...

Richard

Posted · Report post

Richard, whatever was possible in PageLines Framework is possible in DMS, it should be even easier. I am yet to still understand how you used the Boxes section, as like I said above you can not use the Boxes section to display your posts, without using custom code or a plugin.

If you can provide a link to a site which displays how you used the Boxes section, then we may be able to help further. However, the Boxes section was replaced as it was no longer needed and was replaced with MediaBox and TextBox, which pretty much do the same thing without the need for a custom post type.

You can easily create a three column layout, using the Visual Editor, the 3 Column layout section and/or adding sections then reducing the width of these sections, which will also create a columned layout, you can even have a 4, 5, 6 etc.. column layout.

3 Column Layout - http://d.pr/i/1yeH

4 Column Layout - http://d.pr/i/2FLl

5 Column Layout with Offset to center - http://d.pr/i/lyel

6 Column Layout - http://d.pr/i/jpa1

Posted · Report post

http://puertoricohotelreservations.com/hotels/

If I do a text box, I have to create 100 text box widgets....

In the old boxes format, I could easily create, maintain and manage 100+ boxes with different categories (very similar to posts - only you called them boxes).

I'm looking to do just the same with DMS using posts (since we don't have boxes).

I may just be lost in the new interface...

Just want to use the content loop to get the layout in the above link.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Richard, you do have Boxes, just install the Legacy Plugin. The sections were included in DMS because of the inclusion of MediaBox and TextBox. If you prefer the Boxes section to MediaBox or TextBox then there isn't any issue. Boxes work in DMS without any issue that I am aware of.

Seeing how you have used Boxes on your website, then I understand why Boxes may be the better option, so install the Legacy plugin and use Boxes.

Posted · Report post

OK - thanks...  will boxes be there in the future?  I've had problems with 'legacy' features that just stop working one day....

or maybe if they are still part of DMS they shouldn't be called 'legacy'?

Posted · Report post

The Boxes section like the other sections in the plugin will be there. However, I don't think the Boxes section will be added to the core code in the future, thats why there is a plugin.

Posted · Report post

OK Thanks!

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome.