How to deal with former Box content

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Everyone:

I used Pagelines Framework primarily for the flexibility of boxes and box sets - which it looks like it not longer exists in DMS.

Is there a way I can reproduce this type of layout using responsive grid and a post category or tag to display the items?  The items repeat in several pages, so using iboxes looks like it would take lots of work to build over and over...

Hoping that there is an easy solution and that pagelines wouldn't just abandon such a powerful layout and publishing feature.

Sample of how I used boxes is http://puertoricohotelreservations.com/meetings-conventions/ where each of the boxes is also displayed under other categories.

Thanks! ps. not a programmer, so hooks, etc that might be overwitten with upgrades would be an issue... 

37 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny, I had already downloaded this for my clients that were built with framework.

However, I thought that DMS was supposed to advance the platform - so I assumed it would be better looking forward 3-5 years to build a new site with DMS functionality.

If I download DMS and build a new site using the plugin - will the site still be viable in 4 years?

I don't want to build something with 'boxes' and then find that they are not supported in another year and have to convert.

Boxes were such a powerful feature - is there a reason that the developers choose not to incorporate them into DMS - can they still do it?  It was the one feature that set Pagelines above all other framework systems for the type of sites I work with.

I looked at the Filters and Pushpin sections as alternatives - however they both use Wordpress excerpts without any formatting.  I tried using some of the plugins that claim to allow formatting within excerpts - but none of them work.  If I could get Filters to display formatted excerpts, this would work fine (I've sent a request to the developer.).

Do you know of any plugins that would allow formatting excerpts in page lines dms - this would really help.

Thanks!

Richard

Posted · Report post

Richard,

Boxes were great.  I think the reason for their removal from DMS was that they used custom post types, as did Features, etc.  That said, the Responsive Grid offers the responsiveness the custom post types lacked, and replaces Boxes, as does iBox in DMS, though that's far more limiting than Responsive Grid, in my humble opinion.

I don't know that anyone, anywhere can guaranty the stability of a product for years out, especially when it's interdependent with something as organic as WordPress.   I can see that DMS will be comparably organic, but also that there are many essentials, such as the Grid I mentioned, that are likely t remain in place for a very long time.  Only Fate knows what will become of DMS, WordPress or your clients' websites in four years, but I'd be shocked to discover that technology stands still at the end of 2013. 

Posted · Report post

I'm all for grid and how it might replace boxes - but how do I find out how to use it?

I've played with it and can display text - but how do you get a series of grids to display posts like boxes used to?

I've been searching and don't find anything....  

Posted · Report post

This will help: http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/responsive-grid

I use a textarea section to place the code. Works perfectly and looks great in mobile devices.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

I had looked at responsive grid... but can't figure out what code to put in? Are there shortcodes or somthing that has to go into each grid section?

Posted · Report post

The Boxes section never displayed Posts, if you had posts being displayed in Boxes, then you must have used a plugin which used a shortcode, that you added to the Box.

You can do the same with the grid.

For example:

<div class="row">
<div class="span4">
[shortcode here]
</div>
<div class="span4">
[shortcode here]
</div>
<div class="span4">
[shortcode here]
</div>
</div>

Posted · Report post

In the past, I used boxes.... but since they don't exist anymore.... I was looking to use posts to get the same effect.

Not sure what shortcode would go in the area you have in the message...

I can easily set up a grid using responsive grids - but how would I get posts to display in the grids across the page?

Posted · Report post

I've played with it and can display text - but how do you get a series of grids to display posts like boxes used to?

My Boxes/post comment was regarding what you said here, where you said that the Boxes section displayed Posts, this isn't true. The Boxes Section couldn't do that without the use of a plugin.

If you want the Boxes section in DMS, you can download the Legacy plugin here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/td816ccbrbg0xjk/pagelines-legacy-sections.zip

install it like you would any other plugin and once, activate, you will have access to all the old section from PageLines Framework, such as Banners, Boxes, Features and so forth.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, I'm looking for a way to use DMS and display posts so that I get the effect of the old boxes.

This is a completely new client and they don't want to build on an old platform that is not being used in the new DMS.

The Filter section does this to some extent - but I loose all formatting in the excerpt.

I was just wondering if there is a way to use responsive grid to create a checkerboard or chiclet layout for posts so that formatting will be displayed.

I guess what I'm hearing is that Pagelines DMS will not do this type of display anymore - unless I use the legacy plugin.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Rich

Posted · Report post

Rich,

Okay, let's get this solved for you.  In Boxes, posts were never used, but if you did that, you must have added the posts manually or via some plugin.

If you want to display posts now in Responsive grid, you can do that using Special Recent Posts http://wordpress.org/plugins/special-recent-posts/

This lets you craft a shortcode to display the post (title, excerpt, thumb and link).  You can structure the shortcodes to display in any format or, use CSS to  change the layout and appearance.  Special Recent Posts has unique identifiers or elements for each part, letting you to great things with CSS.

You can display one or more post, and select posts by category. So, following Danny's code, where he says use shortcode, you'd place the shortcode from Special Recent Posts.

Here's an example of SRP shortcode:

[srp display_thumbnail='yes' post_content_type='excerpt' post_content_length='100' post_content_length_mode='words' category_include='168' category_title='no' string_break_link='yes' thumbnail_width='200' thumbnail_height='200' post_status='publish' post_limit='2' post_title_length_mode='fulltitle' widget_title_hide='yes']

Reading this, you'll see there's a 100 word length to the excerpt, for category 168, and we're not displaying the category title.  We are displaying a link and thumbnail that's 200px by 200px from published posts only and its title is displayed full length, and we're hiding thte title of the plugin.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys - I'll take a stab at this approach when I get back to the office next week.  

I'll update with the results. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help with the issue of obtaining a boxes-style layout using posts.

I bombed out on the shortcode solution suggested with a funny layout, but used the suggestion to use SRP to take a look at Special Recent Posts plugin and finally decided to use their PRO version.

I solved the issue with the Special Recent Posts PRO plugin and custom sidebars plugin.

These are the steps for anyone who wants a magazine-style layout.

Install both custom sidebars (free) and special recent posts plugins (free or $6 for PRO).

Go to Appearance/Custom Sidebars in your dashboard and create the new Widget Areas you will need.

Go to your page with the DMS editor and select Add Sections and drag Widgetizer into your content area.

Click on 'configure wigitizer' and select your new sidebar name that you created in custom sidebars.

The go to 'edit wigitized area' and drag Special Recent Posts widget into your new sidebar name.

There are lots of options within this widget to configure your layout and content of each listing.

This can be set up to give you a magazine-style layout that is similar to the old 'boxes' format - but better, since you're just using regular posts so its very flexible.

I'm still playing with it to get the right look, but it looks like this solution will work out fine.

I'll post a link to the site once I get it done... but wanted to let anyone else who is looking for a way to incorporate a 'boxes' look for their posts know that there is an easy, non-programming solution.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for sharing!

Posted · Report post

Update after working with Special Recent Posts.

Although this looked like a good solution - they only allow layouts with images on the left.

Hopefully they will offer an option in the future for  images on top - but this puts me back looking at filtering or some other option to recreate the look of boxes.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I'll update if I find something that works to create the look that was possible with the former 'boxes'.

Posted · Report post

SRP offers unique styling classes for each element.  All you need to do is find (using Chrome's Inspect Tool or Firebug for Firefox) the correct class for the element (such as the post thumbnail) and look for float: left;  and change it to float: right;  copy the code and paste it into Custom Code.  If this took anyone, even with little or no CSS experience more than 10 minutes, I'd be amazed.

Posted · Report post

Thanks!  I'll try it... they said I'd have to change the core code... which looked pretty scary...  but custom css I can deal with no problem. Rick

Posted · Report post

Looks like it is in the core... I tried css but there is no float line in the CSS. Putting one in just moved the whole line, not the image...

Thanks for trying... Rick

Posted · Report post

Rick,

I'm sure if you write to Luca (the SRP developer), he'll be happy to provide you with a solution to the thumbnail alignment issue.

Posted · Report post

So far, so solution other than core code changes.... so if you run across Luca, put in a good word for me...  it would make SRP a perfect replacement for boxes.  Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I am still not sure what you mean by replacement for Boxes. Boxes never had an option to display posts, so can you please explain how you used Boxes to display your post content in PageLines Framework please.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny - its displaying 'content' similar to the way 'boxes' displayed content.

I think you're looking at the question from the technical side.  

From the user's perspective, the old box and post were similar from a content perspective - a title, content and photo that you could feature above the content.  The big difference between the two from a user perspective was with layout on the screen.

Posts were traditionally displayed in a vertical format (like SRP does).  Boxes were displayed in a magazine-column format (like the Filtering section does).

What I want to be able to do is to automatically display many rows of 3-across content.

This is what boxes used to do....

I can't figure out how to do this with 'posts'

I understand why you probably did away with boxes since it was essentially a special class of posts and it would be easier to just have one base for content.  However, the layout features that boxes used to enable are just not available with posts from what I can see.

If you look at http://puertoricohotelreservations.com/hotels-a-z-2/

you can see the layout I'm trying to achieve - an image, title, some content...  boxes allows this type of layout... which all my clients are demanding - but if I put that content into posts I can't get this layout.

The grid comments earlier seemed promising, but I can't figure out how to get the content loop to keep the display going if I have 50 posts - like I used to be able to do with just a few clicks to settings within the boxes layout prior to DMS.

This may have been using boxes in a non-traditional way, but it worked perfectly.

I can easily put the same content into a post - just don't know how to achieve this layout which is perfect for hotels, real estate, commerce, etc. 

Any thoughts would be really, really appreciated - it may just be something simple that I'm not seeing in the new DMS.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Hi,

You can't display your blog posts in a three column layout "Out of the Box" and would require either custom code or a custom section. This is where I am getting confused, as the way you're saying it is like the Boxes section from PageLines Framework, allowed you to display your posts by default, which the section never allowed. Unless you used plugin to generate a shortcode which you then added to your Boxes.

If you want to display your blog posts in a column layout, you could try Magazine mode or see if Nicks AnyLoop section has this layout option - http://nickhaskins.co/product/anyloop/

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, the site I listed used boxes without any changes in PegeLines Framework - it was easy and gave a very fast solution.

Where is the magazine mode in DMS?  Maybe this is what I need and I just can't find it in the new interface.

Thanks!

Richard

Posted · Report post

If you load up your Blog page, then click edit (pencil icon) on the Content/PostLoop section, it will bring up the options for the Content/PostLoop section, from here you can select Magazine mode.

http://d.pr/i/XH6o