Photo
- - - - -

Help! Where to download Pagelines 2.4.4 zip?

pagelines v2.4.4

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Feeling totally left out at sea by Pagelines. Have just had a whole site reduced to zilch thanks to crashing section (Flipside) which it turns out is discontinued...I have it running on one site running WP 3.6 and PLFMv2.4.1....have tried rolling intended site back to 2.4.1 but there's weird shit happening all over the place. So. I'm going to play it safe, tell my client she can't have the sexy 3D transition thing after all...I log into my account here only to find the only thing you can download is DMS!

Honestly guys. this is not the way to effect a migration path. Please point me to where I can download a safe version of Pagelines Framework.

Seriously pissed.

N  

#2 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Okay you can install it via the Store, but there has to be a way to manual upload the zip as a failsafe.

#3 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

And what happened to all the Nick Haskins stuff? Yeah I know he's moved outboard, and *kind of* supporting his custom sections, which he says were never meant to support V2 Pagelines (what, there was a v1? How long ago was that? I've always run v2.x so that sounds like bull). The whole caboodle feels flaky and I'm really not sure I can count on it as reliable platform for my clients.

Upgrade to DMS? How can you possibly expect that when even the product marketing splash page looks like this...[pagelines.com/dms in Safari v6] 
Jesus how do you even attach a screenshot here? I can't figure out. But go and check that page on Safari and see the two buttons below the video.

N

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Framework 2.4.4 is available in your Launchpad account at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.   You can download the file, right there.

As you can see, the version number is 2 and version 1 was the beta tested versions of Framework.

You didn't click More Reply Options where you'll find the ability to attach images.

Mr. Haskins stuff was adapted from v2 to DMS, and he's been a leading proponent of keeping products compatible with both.  His new products for DMS may not be compatible with the older Framework.  Can you blame him?  I wouldn't develop new things looking backwards, only forwards.

Just a little hint.  If you're seeking support, try being nice, and courteous, and less confrontational. You might get better and faster support.

#5 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Dear Rob, 

Tip and warning acknowledged. I'm not looking to get on the wrong side of you. Indeed, the support in the past has been excellent. Indeed I should be nicer online.  

On the other hand, I kinda expect customer service to look beyond the frustrated, panicky user noises to the point being made, not slap me down like a naughty school boy. As I said below: the now defunct Flipside widget literally crashed an entire site [davinamackail.com]. I am rebuilding from a naked WP XML backup. i.e. the Pagelines dat.txt backup was useless as it tried to put back Flipside and would cause problems again. 

Mr Haskins' widgets – and Mr Hansson's – are rather excellent. But can I offer my experience as a consumer here? Each time I've felt I've had my fingers burnt. To a 5th rate user like me, the behaviour of these widgets can be mystifying. For some all it would take is a usability review and perhaps a little more onscreen help. Likewise a link to launchpad from the main site, where I was logging in to My Account and finding only DMS for download. You know, when you're working with multiple sites/platforms and whatnot it's easy to forget these things. 

I understand I'm in the rough if I'm using discontinued stuff. Now the whole framework is discontinued? I would love to keep up but I'm not just sure about DMS. From these forums I gather I'm not the only one with issues. I don't like the sound of chrome-only Java for the visual editor. That doesn't sound like browser-independent platform to me. In fact, the product splash page [www.pagelines.com/DMS] doesn't display correctly on Safari v6 on OSX10.6.8. ML. The buttons below the video are stretched. [Thanks for the More Reply Options tip I can now attach the screenshot.]

And its not as if Pagelines is perfect on Chrome anyway. If you embed a Youtube video into a Feature Slide using the cut n paste <iframe> code from youtube, it displays fine in Safari but gets cut down to a narrow strip in Chrome. See second screen shot – partial due to the narrow upload limit here. It used to work fine in Chrome...?

So what should I do? Take the DMS plunge and hope it'll work out? With my current client there simply isn't time to discover bugs like the one on the product splash page – perhaps there are other more difficult ones – this is beta-testing isn't it? Happy to play around when I have time but right now I need the product I originally paid for – and not that long ago! – to work robustly. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Kind regards,

Nizami

Attached Files

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

Nazami,

First, Framework isn't discontinued as you surmise. It is just not going to be developed further, but updates will take place.  The docs for Framework are still in place at

You shouldn't be using iframes in feature sliders to begin with.  Use the old embed code. Here's an example of the code:

When you click Share > Embed select the last check box saying "Use old embed code" and you'll get the code.  You can add specific sizes, etc.

Don't use aspect ratio for the slides if using videos.

DMS was already beta tested, extensively.  Since you can try DMS free of charge, testing it for your own purposes is easy and affordable.

As for its browser independence, I think you're confusing the editing tools with the visibility of the website.  Chrome offers the best tools for editing at present. As others follow suit, then DMS will adapt to them as well.  Problem? Not really, it's just a tool.  Sorry, but I can remember when I had to use a text editor for my first website, and then an HTML editor, when they were finally invented, so using Chrome? No problem for me!  It's simple, easy, and quick.  I just converted an old PlatformPro site to DMS last night whilst watching a silent film.  DMS sites are visible across multiple browsers, including most mobile OS-based browsers.

I assure you no one's forcing you to convert.

#7 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

Rab, 

Thank you for the response re embed codes.

I don't think I'm confusing back and front end. 

I did install the free DMS to take a look at it. I believe (may be wrong, I'm working round clock at the mo) it was an alert in there that said visual editor only works in Chrome due to the superior Java engine in Chrome. Okay, no big deal, but given I seem to be encountering errors that may be Java problems, I'm not feeling confident enough to migrate to DMS mid project.

Anyway I have already spotted browser differences in DMS. Where? On the product splash page itself. Please see the screenshot of www.pagelines.com/DMS in this thread, above ^.

The two buttons below the video display wrongly in Safari. I'm certainly not going to convert to DMS when I can see from the outset that, Beta tested or not, there is an issue. Maybe it's super obscure and no one else in the world has it, but I do. I'm running a fresh install of OSX 10.6.8 ML on a MacBook Pro...I can't believe I'm the only one. 

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

You are correct, DMS does work in Chrome and we did say that in an email.  I'm not challenging that, I assure you.  The reason was, as I mentioned previously, that other browsers don't yet have that set of tools, but I expect they will, sooner than you might think. As they do, DMS will adapt and incorporate them, too, giving you more options for editing.

Were I you, in mid-project, I don't think I'd convert either, but I would tell my client he or she may wish to do so in a couple of months to take advantage of the new technology.  But that's my perspective, and certainly I'm not telling you how to deal with your clients.

I assure you that I don't doubt what you're seeing.  Our CEO uses a Macbook, too, and he's tenacious at checking for browser variances, and so far, you're the only one mentioning this particular issue, but that hardly means it doesn't exist.  I concede it does, and trust you're not exaggerating in any manner.  The problem is that I can't fix the code and don't think it is our code per se, but perhaps some variable in the browser. 

Why do I say that?  Well, since DMS uses AJAX, Javascript, jQuery and other technology in their most advanced states, some browsers don't have the right versions yet.  Conversely, some browsers have add-ons, even as simple as a pop-up blocker that can cause issues in the way sites look or even stop them from rendering properly.  Please don't think I ignored you, or didn't look at that page in FF, IE, Chrome and Safari... I even looked in Opera. I couldn't see any significant difference, but then I'm not on a MAC, which could be one of the variables.

I can also assure you I wasn't trying to be rude or condescending about the browser front and back end issue. Simply trying to point out that your statement earlier wasn't, in my opinion, necessarily correct.

To be clear about the warning, it will drop off your profile by the 22nd of this month.  We don't want people using language in these forums that isn't acceptable to all, or may be offensive to some, no matter how frustrated, angry or upset a customer may be.  While we're expected to be professional at all times, we in turn, expect our customers to maintain their composure, and realize this is a public forum.  Frustrations are to be expected, and we're happy to help anyone deal with them, but when they start off using s**t and j***s I'm obligated to stop that for the sake of others who may read this or add to it if they have similar issues.  Use of such language or demonstrations of anger only serve as a temporary relief, but hurt the feelings of others.  So, in future, please refrain from such language and you'll get the best support possible.

#9 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for this Rob. I suppose there was some negativity back there, a vortex, which was sucking us in. Onwards and upwards, eh? 

Regards the weird little blip on pagelines.com...it's not that big a deal I guess, just it seemed so as I'm often the guy that hits the weird little blip. 

Having someone over there look at it on Safari on MacOS Latest might be a good idea. It's something to do with how the images are being resized...what's that, JS?

Mac people tend to assume everyone must be on Mac, there can't still be people labouring around on Windows (joke ;-)...and Safari is the default Mac browser...

DMS page looks fine in FF and Chrome. 

Anyway, good news is my client is MEGA happy with her new site... davinamackail.com... 

Best 

N

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi there,

I've checked our core theme thread for you and can confirm the safari issue has been reported to the core team, this is showing up in some other client browsers. The report will be worked through and a fix/correction will be issued to resolve.

#11 nizami

nizami

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Great...if someone could post the fix to this thread that would be v helpful. Thanks.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

It is very likely that a fix will not be posted in the forum. Usually, we don't do that. Instead, our developers will issue an upgrade to DMS and allow members to download and install the upgrade.  Notice of that is given when you see there's an update to install.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pagelines, v2.4.4