My bold type does not show on the posts and content loop

Question

Posted · Report post

I need help with understanding why my bold type does not display on my post content loop. When I type words in bold on a Wordpress post, it does not transfer onto my site. Italics does, however, which makes me think something must be broken. Thank you for your assistance. 

29 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Ryan, how are you applying bold?   Using code or using the visual editor?

Posted · Report post

I am using the visual editor on the Wordpress blog post dashboard. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Hi, Can you provide a link to the post in question please.

Posted · Report post

Like <b>content</b>

Posted · Report post

<b>content</b> isn't usually good in WP.  The norm in WP is <strong>content</strong>.

No idea why they do it like that, but, that's WP for you.

Ryan, a link would be helpful. It would allow us to diagnose it. And please point us to the specific place where it's happening or not happening. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

I tested the <b> vs <strong>, and though WP prefers the latter, it turns out that <b> works. Not sure why this is the case, but you can see it on ryanreed.me/speaking. I have <strong> used throughout my site, and the only bold line occurs through <b>. Thanks for the help, and if you know why this is the case, I'd love to understand before I make the correction. Thanks again!

Posted · Report post

You should use <strong> and not <b>, although they do the same thing. In terms of spiders or web crawlers, text wrapped in <strong> is considered important where text wrapped in <b> isn't.

I have just visited your website and your text appears bold to me - http://cl.ly/image/0r2N172k2o3L

So I would always use <strong> over <b>, also not sure why your have the following HTML structure - http://cl.ly/image/1l2E243S2I2v

Your font is already set to Georgia.

Posted · Report post

Thanks so much, Ninja, for your feedback. Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply. I use MarsEdit. Does that make a difference in how the HTML works and why bold does not show on my site? The screenshot you took captured the only sentence on my entire site that uses <b>. The code <strong> still does not work. Thanks for your help. Would be wrong of me to change all of the <strong> code to <b>? Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Any external editor added to WP can create conflicts.  I suspect that's what may be at the cause of the issue. Can you deactivate it?

Posted · Report post

Hello, I´ve the same issue. The italics works but the bold dont.

I´ve worked only with wordpress editor.

The link

http://gruposilva.com.ar/seguros/accidentes-personales/

With the inspector i see the strong tag but I cant see the bold in firefox, chrome, android, etc.

Thanks, Eugenio.

Posted · Report post

Okay, I tested it, confirmed it and have reported the issue.

Posted · Report post

I´ve find the reason. It was my fault.

In "GLOBAL OPTIONS / Tipography" i´ve set "light" in font weight. So the bold order didn´t function. I set to "Normal" and everything is ok again.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Eugenio - Many thanks for following up with details on your solution. Those global settings are something we may have overlooked when troubleshooting this issue for folks. Your input is appreciated and I'm glad you're all set now!

Posted · Report post

I do have the same issue!

Obviously DMS has a Bug there. It interpretes special font-weights through "PostLoop" section differently.

See in my project:

See where the ERROR is visible

Comment

the Error does not occour in Firefox 

Posted · Report post

micstepl - Im not sure what I am supposed to be looking at here ? I have viewed your site in Chrome, Safari and FireFox and the font weight looks the same on each page.

Posted · Report post

micstepl - Im not sure what I am supposed to be looking at here ? I have viewed your site in Chrome, Safari and FireFox and the font weight looks the same on each page.

looking at this wrong part http://www.stmconsult.net/cms/piccini/alimentari

correct - displayed at the bottom of the page

fontweight_right.png

worng - displayed at the top of the page - through postloop

fontweight_wrong_%28Postllop%29.png

Posted · Report post

Are those two images from the same browser and what browser ?

Posted · Report post

I am having the same issue on both the DMS2 sites I have in development. Having found this thread I've checked and removed a WP Editor plug-in on one of them which made not difference, It wasn't installed on the other one. I've checked the default fonts also. They're both set to normal. One is Arial Normal (400) and the other is Verdana Normal (400) so that's not the issue. Like other posters italic works.

I've tried the standard <strong> and also tried <b> and have also found that only the <b> works consistently in all browsers.

EX 1: http://dev.hoffmangraphics.com/individual-programs/

here's the code used in the opening text for troubleshooting:

<strong>CORE PROGRAM </strong>is one-on-one coaching, customized to fit <b>YOU.</b> My <b>CORE PROGRAM</b>

In FireFox & IE both styles show bold but in Chrome the first one coded correctly with <strong> does NOT display as bold. Since we edit in Chrome it appears wrong to us immediately.

EX2:http://sheila.wpstagecoach.com/book-test/

You'll see that there's some text that says it's bolded using <b> tags and it is bold. But in the first paragraph this code is also there:

<strong>should be bold via strong tag</strong>

And it does NOT display as bold in Chrome.

SO...IMHO there is an issue with Chrome reading the proper <strong> tags as I have no plug-in conflicts. I don't know if this is a DMS issue or a larger WP issue. But either way, I hope I've provided adequate information and that we can resolve this. My client uses Chrome and she doesn't want to have to resort to manually coding all bolded items especially not if <b> is deprecated.

Thank you.

Sheila

Posted · Report post

sheilahoff It is blooming annoying - seems to happen on some sites and not others (must be plugin related as cant get a 'bold' with <strong> on one with no Custom CSS)

You might find this is an easy work around in your Custom CSS:

strong {
  font-weight: 800;
}

;)
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This will certainly work...thanks Morris. BUT....if there's something that can be done systemically that seems like it would be preferable.

Posted · Report post

James B That is an interesting article... I have seen other references to problems with Chrome and @Font Face - so would that be because the DMS defaults to 300 for text and adds 200 = 500, which then doesnt necessarily get displayed by the browser and drops back to 400 for display? Still wouldnt explain how, when you set your site to 400, and chrome = bolder (+200) as I am sure it can display 600 (though maybe not for all fonts?). 

If that is the problem with chrome, is setting strong to be a weight rather than letting Chrfome determine it as 'bolder'? Just looked at a couple of my sites and strong is being defined as 800 weight without custom CSS. As an example of what is strange. Trebucket MS. Define weight 400, strong is styled by CSS as 600, but only appears to be 400 in text... so Chrome must have a problem rendering 600 in Trebucket. So I then changed base weight to 600 to confirm this... and sure enough, CHrome cant render. Interestingly, 'strong' was still being defined as 600?

I am guessing that where Chrome cant not render your font at 600 (for strong) then you have to alter its weight with CSS as above? What'cha 'fink, big man?

Edited Just checked... always adding 200, so if your font wont render 'bolder' at 600 then set default text to 600 (semi-bold) and it will look like 400 (normal) but your <strong> WILL add 200 and have the weight at 800. (forgot to flush chrome cache... hence the error above)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

FASCINATING! Thanks for the background explanation. From that link then, is there a way to set the font weight to "normal" instead of 400 in DMS? Wouldn't that solve this also? Based on all this info what is the best practice going forward?

Posted · Report post

In the typography settings in DMS there is a drop down to set the standard font weight - http://screencast.com/t/FEinbkume

Those weights are obviously pre-defined in the DMS core, so by setting normal in the drop down its uses 400 for the weight, light - 300 etc. You can override any of them to a different value using CSS if you'd rather a specific weight was applied.