Can DMS Function on an Intranet

Question

Posted · Report post

We are bidding on a project that would consist of using WordPress on an Intranet. Due to the sensitivity of the information, the server would not have any connections to the Internet. Is it possible for the Developer Version of DMS to function without "phoning home"?

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I spoke to our developers. DMS can be used on an intranet site, but it won't get updates, can't validate the license, and would behave, essentially, as the free version, as I suspected. From what I gather, none of the premium add-ons would work, since they can't validate the license.

I'm told that it can be hacked, but that's something a very skilled, DMS proficient developer would have to do and it could cost tens of thousands of dollars. Its not something we could even try to support it here.

Sorry for this news.

Posted · Report post

I suppose we should rename it to ET's DMS, because it does need to 'phone home'.   Not only does it contact back to our servers, but it also looks to other sources such as WordPress.

Theoretically, it should work in an intranet, but I can't guaranty it. Keep in mind, the 'developer edition' is really the same as the free, save that the license validates via our servers and thus an internet connection is needed to get the extra sections.

You raise an important question though, and I'll refer it to our developers.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Rob for the quick response. Another question came to mind this morning. Has "ET's DMS Cell Phone" been tested to show it can not be leveraged to do unscrupulous things? Just something else to ask the developers.

We have about a week before we have to make a decision on our part of the solution.

Posted · Report post

DMS has been, to my knowledge, thoroughly tested for security and secure use on mobile devices.

Posted · Report post

No problem. We have been testing several solutions and we came to the same conclusion this morning. We could propose writing specific firewall rules and put the server in a double DMZ. I wanted DMS to work but it is what it is. 

Thanks for all your efforts Rob. 

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome. BTW, central NJ here. :D