Photo

Remove StumbleUpon link in social networking icons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 style

style

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hello, How can I remove the default StumbleUpon link in the social networking icons? Thanks!

#2 style

style

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Got it, I just removed the following from the base.css

.icons .stumbleupon {background: url('../PlatformPro/images/sprite-socialicons.png') no-repeat -176px 0;}
	.icons .stumbleupon:hover {background: url('../PlatformPro/images/sprite-socialicons.png') no-repeat -176px -22px;}

#3 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Right, this was added for demonstration purposes; and can be removed in Base.

#4 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

This removes the icon, but not the link. I can't seem to find the link.

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:45 AM

The link is added in functions.php... We added this code for demonstration purposes so remove it or comment it out .

#6 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Why thank yah.

#7 ralphgriffiths

ralphgriffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

I had the same problem and tried to remove the code from the functions.php. Now both my wordpress admin account and website display: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/content/39/6873539/html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php on line 24" On a plain white page when I try to load them. I reinstated the code as it was, but the problem is still not resolved. I am a complete new comer to blogging, and was hesitant to play with code, which is why I purchased this product in the first place. This is the kind of nightmare that I hoped to avoid! Please help ASAP!

#8 ralphgriffiths

ralphgriffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

The code I deleted, and then tried to replace is: // add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('pagelines_branding_icons_end', 'add_icons_to_branding'); // function name function add_icons_to_branding(){ // what the function does??“in this case adds a stumbleupon icon to the header of your theme. The class referenced in the link can be seen in the style.css // and is the image from the CSS is placed in the images folder ?> <?php } // end function The error message says the problem is with line 24, which would be: // what the function does??“in this case adds a stumbleupon icon to the header of your theme. The class referenced in the link can be seen in the style.css Is there something wrong with this code? If there is nothing I can do to fix this, how do I get my website back?!

#9 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:05 AM

Yes, you have a syntax error in your code... probably this line `

#10 onlinetracker

onlinetracker

• Members

• 154 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

Welp, if I'm reading you properly, you are using Base, so just copy the functions.php file from the archive back into the proper folder and you'll get access again. Then, instead of deleting anything, just comment it out.. for instance: `` If you aren't using Base, then I'm not sure because I'm using base now and won't see a standard configuration until I get my Developer license.

#11 ralphgriffiths

ralphgriffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:29 AM

Update: I entered the FTP site and changed the name of platformbase, which in turn forced wordpress to return me to the default. I then deleted and reinstalled platform base, which seems to have worked, for now. However, I can not bring myself to have another go at messing with the code. Please tell me, step by step EXACTLY how to remove the stumbleupon icon. Thank you!

#12 ralphgriffiths

ralphgriffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for your responses. What does "comment it out" mean? And how do I do it? If possible I would like to avoid deleting anything, as the example code given may be useful later.

#13 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

commenting code makes it inactive yet still visible. But really all you need to do is delete that one line `` if you choose to comment it, add a `` after the code above

#14 ralphgriffiths

ralphgriffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

I see. Thanks for your help Adam, problem resolved.

#15 shealaughlin

shealaughlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:19 AM

If you purchased Platform Pro like I did you have have the option to download the two themes: PlatformPro and PlatformBase.

I found that PlatformBase had the StumbleUpon link/icon and the PlatformPro did not have the link/icon.

Switch the theme and the link/icon goes away...

#16 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

The child theme is for customizing only. Basically, for people who want to take things to the 'next level' by add custom code (CSS/HTML/PHP/ ....) In Base, we add some things to show people how to use it (StumbleUpon, PullQuote Section, etc...) It was anticipated that people would just use these as reference and comment them out or delete them as needed. (More info needed in the docs about this... working on it..)

#17 veronica.menelao

veronica.menelao

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

great. resolved commenting it.

love your theme.