DMS ignores textarea width/cols

Question

Posted · Report post

It seems that DMS ignores the "cols" attribute that is connected to the textarea tag.

When I enter the some code in a TextBox section in DMS and the same code works fine on a blank .html-site (made in the FTP-client Flow), it doesn't affect the width (cols) of the textarea in DMS. No matter what value I set, it's full width and the button gets stuck on a new line.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just something DMS ignores?

The code on the site

[attachment=1443:form_site.png]

The code in Flow

[attachment=1444:form_flow.png]

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

What is that code, can you provide the code you have used and a link to your site please. Not sure what you mean by cols, DMS doesn't use anything called cols, that is most likely related to the Flow code ?

What I would do is use the PageLines grid to create two columns one for your text field and the other for you button for example.

<div class="row">

<div class="span10">

Enter your text field code here

</div>

<div class="span2">

Enter your button code here

</div>

</div>

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny - thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I can't provide a link for the site as the part isn't live.

The code is in the images above, but I've pasted it below.

Submit your e-mail and you'll receive project updates when there's more to tell.<form name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get"><textarea placeholder="your@e-mail.com" rows="1" cols="30"></textarea><button type="submit" class="btn btn-success"><i class="icon-thumbs-up-alt icon-white"></i> Keep me updated!</button></form>

As I wrote "cols" is an attritube connected to the textarea tag - http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_textarea.asp

I guess using the grid would work, but I'd like to control the width (the cols) as well - not just by giving it a specific span size.

Posted · Report post

Not sure to be honest, I rearely use cols.

However, you can try this:

<form name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get" class="mytextform"><textarea placeholder="your@e-mail.com" rows="1" cols="30"></textarea><button type="submit" class="btn btn-success"><i class="icon-thumbs-up-alt icon-white"></i> Keep me updated!</button></form>

I added a class to the form, called mytextform

Then add the following CSS:

.mytextform textarea {
max-width: 80%;
margin: 0 5px 0 0;
}
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The CSS tweak helped, thanks Danny!

It just seems weird that DMS/Wordpress ignores the cols tag as it's part of HTML5.