Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Messed up css since update from 0.9.7 to 1.0.1+

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello.

When I installed and adopted DMS 0.9.7, my website http://qsme.ru became clean and readable, which was great.

Then eventually DMS 1.0.1 came up (and 1.0.2 yesterday), and since then much of that beauty gone away. To be specific:

• Lists (ul, ol) font is now with font-size: 90% (.hentry ul, .hentry ol { font-size: 90%; } ). Why 90% is for? All lists became so small and unreadable!
  • Tables now have solid borders by default (instead of no border) but without top border for the first row ( tr:first-child td { border-top: 0; } ) ! Moreover, applying any borders to table makes them look ugly (e.g. bootstrap's "table" class gives additional 1px border causing 2px border total)
  • Giant margins for headers ( .hentry h1, .hentry h2, .hentry h3, .hentry h4, .hentry h5, .hentry h6 { margin: 1em 0; } ), big margins for paragraps ( margin: 1.55em 0; ) together they gives just enormous spacing.

All this issues strikes immediately simply by looking at website homepage.

I understand that you guys are trying to make default style clean and beautiful, so my questions are

1. Are there any chances that you will fix issues mentioned above?
  2. If no, could you please provide link to DMS 0.9.7 archive? I did not find it on your GitHub repo.

Thanks.

PS: I did not do any css / less customizations yet and, to be honest, i don't want to, because i don't think that trying to "fight back" default theme css is a good idea, especially if that css could change so unpredictably.

7 answers to this question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello.

When I installed and adopted DMS 0.9.7, my website http://qsme.ru became clean and readable, which was great.

Then eventually DMS 1.0.1 came up (and 1.0.2 yesterday), and since then much of that beauty gone away. To be specific:

• Lists (ul, ol) font is now with font-size: 90% (.hentry ul, .hentry ol { font-size: 90%; } ). Why 90% is for? All lists became so small and unreadable!
  • Tables now have solid borders by default (instead of no border) but without top border for the first row ( tr:first-child td { border-top: 0; } ) ! Moreover, applying any borders to table makes them look ugly (e.g. bootstrap's "table" class gives additional 1px border causing 2px border total)
  • Giant margins for headers ( .hentry h1, .hentry h2, .hentry h3, .hentry h4, .hentry h5, .hentry h6 { margin: 1em 0; } ), big margins for paragraps ( margin: 1.55em 0; ) together they gives just enormous spacing.

All this issues strikes immediately simply by looking at website homepage.

I understand that you guys are trying to make default style clean and beautiful, so my questions are

1. Are there any chances that you will fix issues mentioned above?
  2. If no, could you please provide link to DMS 0.9.7 archive? I did not find it on your GitHub repo.

Thanks.

PS: I did not do any css / less customizations yet and, to be honest, i don't want to, because i don't think that trying to "fight back" default theme css is a good idea, especially if that css could change so unpredictably.

Оверрайд через опции стилей вроде #h1 [...] и т.п. наше всё!

Более того, я б рекомендовал поставить дочернюю тему, типа nick base theme чтобы внесённые настройки темы не сносились при обновлении самого ДМС.

Edited by save4eg

Posted · Report post

@save4eg  This forum is in English.  Please translate before posting.

Posted · Report post

Hi Sergey - I think your best bet is to upload a child theme, tweak the CSS a little bit to get it back to where you like it, and then from that point on you won't have to worry about updates changing the look you've put together. Information on child themes is available at http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/base-child-theme, and a base theme is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0tgq9ug1h1km98/dms-template-theme.zip.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Jake.

I'm sure this could help me right now, but how long will it last? I mean, ok, I will tweak some rules here and there to get it back and then new DMS update will arrive with even more changes so styles will need even more "hacking". I understand that nobody is guaranteed that stock DMS look'n'feel won't change and that's ok, but I said "hacking" because e.g. font-size:90% for lists was sooo unpredictable, that (imho) writing rules like font-size:100% where they aren't expected (naturally) seems like hacking. the same holds for the very strange table borders rules, I'm even considering it as a some kind of bug actually.

ps: btw, doc you pointed at states that base child theme "available free from the PageLines Store", but actually its not. there are only 5 paid themes and thats all. anyway, thanks for the direct link.

pps: still, i would appreciate if you could provide me a link to DMS 0.9.7

Posted · Report post

Sergey - I completely understand your perspective and have passed your concerns along to our developers. Since the DMS release is so recent, the updates are coming out fast and furious as folks are bringing tweaks and enhancement requests to our attention. Thank you for your patience. And you are correct, our base theme for DMS is also forthcoming.

Though we don't normally recommend it and upgrading will most likely be something you'll want/have to do at some point in the future, if you still have your original download from when you purchased DMS you could FTP it up and be back to the previous version. We only go back a couple of versions on Github at https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/releases but perhaps 1.0.0 will give you what you're looking for.

I hope that helps.

Posted · Report post

Ok, I'll revert to it for now and will be waiting until base theme will be available through the store and (at least some of) issues will be resolved.

Thanks Jake, thanks to the developer.