Karma for formerly available free sections?

Question

Posted · Report post

Why do I now have to get Karma for sections that I had available (and still are) in the former Pagelines system?

I paid a monthly fee to have access to these sections previously and I still use them at my other sites.. but now I have to earn Karma to access them?  EG Post pins

This seems a wee bit rude to be honest.  Especially since at this stage with all the bugs I wouldn't recommend DMS to anyone?

14 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

The information below is taken from the Karma blog post

A Special Gift to Plus Users

Good news! All the amazing people that were Plus customers and have successfully made the transition to Pro members are going to receive a special gift from PageLines.

We’re going to be giving all Plus members 200  as of this week. We’ll also be giving Plus members access to any extensions they had access to via PageLines Plus, once we successfully port them to DMS Karma Extensions.

What are all these DMS bugs you're referring too ?

Posted · Report post

Danny, I know you're busy but you are already working on one for me in another post.  Its a pity you can't read what people type about their issues, because your last response only told me what I had already told you so I was very disappointed with your response to me.

Can you tell me then if the post pins is ported because it shows as if its available for purchasing with Karma, not that its free.  I looked at purchasing it with the karma but it was more than what was gifted.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

As far as I am aware users who had an active plus sub were ported over to the new subscription model, you received 200 Karma (I think) and when all plus extensions have been ported over, you will have them. Please don't take my word for this, as I have nothing to do with accounts/billing, so I recommend you contact our helpdesk for accurate information.

I apologise I can't help you any further or provide accurate information, but our accounts/billing team will be able too.

hello at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

Emailed, waiting a response.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny

I've had a response.  Your advice was incorrect.  We have to use KARMA to access the sections that we were previously provided each month as part of our subscription.

"Plus sections will begin to be added to DMS as time goes on, these will be accessed/unlocked using the new lifetime karma service"

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I apologise but I did say I think in brackets. Accounts/billing isn't my area, so I tried to answer you to the best of my ability. My reply above shouldn't have been taken as gospel, this is why I said email our helpdesk.

Posted · Report post

I didn't take it as gospel which is why I emailed and checked, but it still doesn't mean I can't express my disappointment.

Posted · Report post

Your disappointment is noted, and I'm sure shared but there's some fundamental misunderstandings here which I hope I'll clarify.

The PLUS Extensions were not purchased by your PLUS membership.  They were licensed for your use during the lifetime of your PLUS account.  So, your PLUS products, normally in Framework would have to be purchased.   Now that DMS is here, to try and accommodate former PLUS members who've moved to DMS, we're providing Karma Points to let you purchase the products without cash outlay, using the points.

The initial 200 points is a starting point, but not the end of your ability to earn Karma Points by any measure, as I'm sure you know.  Not all point accumulations have to be associated with a purchase, so without spending cash you can earn a cash equivalent in Points and use them for sections, including former PLUS Extensions.

I must be missing what the problem is in using these free Karma Points for the purchases, and why anyone would be disappointed at getting these points.  But if you're disappointed, I can only apologize.  Neither Danny nor I developed these licenses or systems, but to me, this is pretty fair.  I don't get those points, so I'm jealous of you as I have to buy the products I need with cash.  I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

I've already written an email of complaint to the management.  Its currently being considered.  The way the extensions were marketed to us were that we would have a free one every month which our subscription paid for. These stopped before DMS became available. I did not ask to be upgraded to DMS I was just told it was happening and since the framework will not be supported in the future it left us with little choice.  

The Karma points require you to email people to promote DMS.  That's a bit hard to do really when you are having problems with the product or just getting to know it.  Plus, it feels like an Amway triangle system and it promotes spam.  I'd prefer to pay a little extra on subscription and be able to access them the same way I used to.

In addition, the only way the Post Pins can be accessed from what I have seen so far is through spending Karma. It does not give you any other alternative.And the 200 Karma Points at the moment only give you the grid.  Something I didn't use.

Posted · Report post

I would love to use Post Pins for our charity news page but don't think I'll ever get the Karma points. I run a charity so don't have people to email in the hope they purchase DMS.

Would like to see it made available for purchase or at least other options...I've been promoting pagelines for years on twitter to over 15,000 followers...surely that should buy me some karma.....

https://hibbslupustrust.org

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hibbsy, if post pins becomes available for purchase, I will donate the money for you to be able to purchase your own copy of it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Tinsky,

You made a statement I am compelled to clarify:

I did not ask to be upgraded to DMS I was just told it was happening and since the framework will not be supported in the future it left us with little choice.

Yes, you were grandfathered into DMS, but no one forced you to do it, and we sent out several broadcast emails to everyone 2 weeks prior.  Even after you were grandfathered in, you could have simply written to our desk and declined. No one said to you or anyone else that Framework wouldn't be supported.  If you listen to rumors, that's simply silly. 

Rumors are what they usually are, plain nonsense. You sneeze on one side of town, and when the story reaches the other side, you've died of pneumonia. Like Mark Twain said, "reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." The same applies to DMS.

Since the day this forum came back after our crash, I've been answering hundreds of topics explaining that Framework will be supported, and updates will continue.  There's a malicious rumor campaign going on.  I urge you to ask and not jump to conclusions or believe the lies others spread.  I'd also appreciate it if you don't help to spread these falsehoods.  

@hibbsy78  I've asked a colleague to insure you get PostPins tomorrow as you're a charitable entity.  Watch your Karma points.

Posted · Report post

Rob I was advised in chat support that it wouldn't be continued to be supported when I was talking to a support person of pagelines regarding my account which had disappeared prior to you having any difficulty with the server.  This didn't come from rumours, it came from your staff.  So please don't jump to conclusions on my behalf.

Posted · Report post

Prior to the release of DMS, there was considerable information presented to the team.  Many of these bits of info were confusing.  So, that explains why you had misinformation.  I apologize.

1 person likes this