Another GravityForms issue - Signature add-on not working in TextBox

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi guys

I recently purchased the GravityForms plugin and the advanced Signature add-on. Bought it exclusively because a client needs signatures on a form.

Well I have a form on a test page in a simple TextBox in the template section. The form displays and works BUT NOT the Signature field!  Am communicating w/their support and they see errors on the page:

There is a JavaScript error:

Uncaught ReferenceError: SuperSignature is not defined

For some reason the script is in the footer when it should be up in the header, the stylesheets are also down 
in the footer and they should also be in the header. Does your theme's header.php file have <?php wp_head(); ?> 
also how are you including the form on that page, are you using the shortcode or the function call. 
If you are using the function call then you also need to use the gravity_form_enqueue_scripts function to 
correctly include the stylesheets and scripts: 
http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gravity_form_enqueue_scripts

Here's a simplified test page:
http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/gravity-form-test-wsignature-field/

It has this in the Pagelines Textbox section and nothing else:

[gravityform id=2 title=false description=false ajax=true]

Thanks for taking a look

JE-0

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HI,

I haven't used any of the Gravity Forms addons so how do you add the signature, is it done automatically for you or have you included the signature script in the textbox too ?

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny

Gravity forms has a marketing plan like Pagelines - you have to pay a continual subscription for the cool Pro features. One has to purchase the Developer version (at $199/year) to access the Pro features, which is where the Signature add-on is available. Once you get a license and activate the basic Gravity forms, there is an add-on manager, much like the PL store or sections, where you can choose the extras you wish (assuming you have purchased the corresponding subscription level). I can send you the Signature plugin, but it probably won't work if you don't have a developer license.

I'm in over $400 now with DMS and now Gravity Forms. Understandably I'm not pleased, especially since it seems it will cost me at least that each year now just to keep site I develop with DMS and Gravity forms from breaking! Not happy about this and this is not what I thought I was getting into...  Things seemed so much easier in the Frameworks days, when I just paid for the basic Frameworks once and that was it! (wasn't a Plus member).

Let me know if you wish for me to send the Sig plugin (but you will need a license to have it work).

Thanks

JE-0

Posted · Report post

Update from Gravity forms on pricing, just for clarity:

You can continue to use Gravity Forms and all of the add-ons you have installed on your site even if your license expires. 
You can continue to create forms and receive submissions. You don't need to have a license key on your site to do those things. 
You can remove it now if you'd like, and you'd see no difference. The key being active on your site is for automatic update purposes.

However, with that said, we can't guarantee that an update to WP won't break an old version of GF or one of the add-ons. For example, 
WP 3.6 introduced jQuery changes that we needed to account for and to update GF with so the form editor continued to work. So, for 
any of our users who decided not to maintain an active license with us and updated to 3.6 - the form editor most likely crapped out 
on them as they aren't running the most current version of the plugin that contains the fix. Does that help answer your question?

Basically yes - things can continue to work, it's just not going to be guaranteed.

And here is the matrix for add-ons by license type: http://www.gravityforms.com/add-ons/

Hope this helps others who may have similar questions about all this...

Posted · Report post

I have a GF license, although it isn't a dev on.

Send the addon and I can test it, if it works.

danny at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

hi danny

sent it yesterday. did U receive?

Posted · Report post

Danny

Just sent you this email and copy of the form. Are you getting my email?

---

Hi Danny

Any luck looking into this??? Had sent you the signature add-on last week. Attached is the form I'm using.

Just tried setting up a simple form on a vanilla installation on another testing website. Installing the form in the Postloop section made the signature field show. Then I created a new page, dragged in a 2-column section and put the form in a text box in the right column and a picture w/some text in a media box in left section and the form was broken again!!! I have NO PLUGINS assigned (except the gravity forms and Signature add-on). Just upgraded to DMS 1.03 and latest WP. Using the plain version of DMS (my developer key not yet entered).

If I enter the form shortcode directly into the normal WP edit field, no problems. Using the DMS editor and putting inside a textbox/column = PROBLEM!!!

Further testing - putting in WP normal area AND in a DMS sections structure, I can see it. Then deleting the WP area, it again doesn't work... Looks like including it in the normal WP area pulls in the proper css??? but DMS sections by them selves Not.

This is very disheartening. I'm supposed to show something to my client this week and now I have to consider scrapping DMS and rebuilding in a different system. Please review the Forum thread for Gravityforms support comments about styles/scripts showing in footer rather than header as a source of problems:

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/29356-another-gravityforms-issue-signature-add-on-not-working-in-textbox/#entry172300

H E L P ! ! !

---

Posted · Report post

OK, just got some info from the Skype 300 group. Seems I need to have the form within the Content/Postloop "section". I had thought this was an optional content space now with all these sections - seems I was wrong. Was wondering why the Normal WP content edit box was not being used and how to explain this to clients. Have to readjust my thinking now. Wish this fundamental piece was more clear in the Docs and perhaps there could be a Fundamentals video on this to help people understand how to structure and layer all these sections to get the functionality and design they wish to create.

Gonna go and review the whole site now and see where I may need to change things and use Postloop as a Textbox section in places.

Thanks for any further comments on this

BUT, the reCaptcha box is still having a formatting issue even when placed in the Postloop area (extra border at bottom of box which is a repeat of top border). Any clues on this???

Thanks

JE-0

Posted · Report post

Hi John,

Just sent you a reply to your email, I never received it, instead it went to our support desk and was label as spam for some reason. In future, if I ask you to email me directly, do not add hello at pagelines dot com to the address and CC me, just email me instead.

Once I get your email, with the attached plugin, I can look into this issue further.

Posted · Report post

OK, so just installed both Gravity Forms and the Signature Plugin on a vanilla Wordpress 3.6 installation and the signature field appears to be working as intended ?

http://d.pr/i/U3Ju

Therefore, you most likely have an issue related to another plugin, a custom script/code or maybe try disabling the Ajax option when adding the form to your page.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny

See my comment above about needing to put the form in the Content/Postloop "section" in order for it to work. As mentioned, I have no plugins installed except gravityforms and no scripts. Try DELETING the Content/Postloop from your page and instead have a test page with ONLY a 2-column section and put a Mediabox in 1 and Textbox in other and try putting your Sig form in each. Also put a reCaptcha and see if you get the extra stuff (box starts to repeat.

Again check my comments (Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:59 PM) for more detail.

Appreciate your reply.

Posted · Report post

Hmm, yeah I see. OK, I have reported this for you.

In the meantime, I would recommend adding your form to the PostLoop section, seeing there is no issue there.

Also, have you tried any of the other plugins for Gravity Forms ?

Posted · Report post

Danny thanks

Also review the thread for details from Gravityforms support that may help PL dig into this issue (styles/scripts in footer that need to be in header?)

Are you also seeing the formatting issue with reCaptcha?

No have not tried other GF addons.

Would appreciate some doc or detailed post in the forum about how to use Postloop and PL sections - should they always be INSIDE a Postloop? If not, when to put inside and when to use sections by them selves and what happens when there is NO Postloop on a page/template design.

thanks

Posted · Report post

Again on this topic... perhaps this should be moved to a separate thread---

One of the beauties about DMS for me was the ability to view content and how it would actually look on the page, then click edit, refresh and see it - all within one interface. If stuff like Gravity forms needs to be within the Content/Postloop, now I have to teach my clients 2 different interfaces to edit their page content (I can already hear one client saying "I thought it was supposed to be easy to do edits in Wordpress, now you are telling me I have to edit one way on one page and another on an other..."

Truly hoping this can be resolved elegantly, as user ease of edit is one of the main things we sell our clients on when recommending Wordpress as a solution.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

OK, one more interesting glitch.

On a page, I have a 2-column layout. In the right column is a simple Postloop followed by a textbox. Each one has exactly the same code/content and call to the Gravityform (this time without the Signature field - just a Contact form w/Captcha).

In the Postloop, all the fields show up but there is an obnoxious occurrence of "0 chars out of 80/256" message under Form text input boxes. In the Textbox Section below it (again, same exact code and form shortcode call), those pesky messages do Not show up, but the Captcha does not display. ?

Code/content in each:

<div id="" class="innerPageContentBlock"><h1 >How to Contact Our Company</h1>
<br />
<h4>Please use this form to contact us. Or Phone us at 1-800-FACEMASKS.</h4>
<div id="ContactUsForm">
[gravityform id=1 title=false description=false ajax=false]
</div>
We appreciate your interest in Westcoast Facemask reconditioning services. You will be happy doing business with us.
</div>

Check out: http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/contact-test/

Posted · Report post

Can you try adding two Gravity Forms to the Twenty Twelve or Twenty Thirteen theme and see if the problem persists ?