Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Columns won't stay in put after updating the page

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi! I'm new with DMS so I hope you could help me with my problem :)

I'm trying to put one mediabox image and one textbox inside one column, and have many of these columns on top of each other (see attachment A). They are nicely set before I update the page. Then the whole set of columns on the right moves below the left column and I lose all the texts and images and width I have set (see attachment B). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks already in advance!

-Tuomas

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

OK, I seem to have misunderstood what you did.

Basically Column, 2 Column and 3 Column can not be added into one another. These sections are there so that you can quickly create a 1 or 2 or 3 column layout by simply dragging that section onto your template.

If you want a two column layout, drag and drop the 2 column layout section onto your template and then start dragging and dropping the sections you want to populate those areas.

If your Columns are not in the correct position upon save you either have your columns not adding up to 12, i.e. you can't have a one column using 7 and the other column using 6, as that adds up to 13. Your columns width can be whatever you like, as long as all columns don't exceed 12.

If your columns are not exceeding 12, then you may have an issue with the HTML you're adding to your textbox or custom CSS such as a border that is pushing your column below.

If that isn't the case it may well be a plugin, therefore disable all active plugins and see if your issue is resolved.

If not, to recreate your issue, can you provide the steps you have taken to experience this issue such as:

* The widths of your columns

* What sections are you using

* What code have you used in your sections and what image(s)

Any other info you feel may assist us.

Posted · Report post

HI,

Two create multiple columns, are you adding the Column Layout Section to your template, then decreasing its width using the increase/decrease width options ?

Or are you adding multiple sections and reducing the width of each section to create columns ?

Posted · Report post

I tried inserting 2-column section inside that column on the right side of the page, but it just doesn't appear in there. So I tried inserting two times 1-column sections inside that column and that worked. Then I just set the widths so that other one is 3/12 and the other 9/12.

-Tuomas

HI,

Two create multiple columns, are you adding the Column Layout Section to your template, then decreasing its width using the increase/decrease width options ?

Or are you adding multiple sections and reducing the width of each section to create columns ?

Posted · Report post

OK, so if your issue now resolved ?

Posted · Report post

No :) I mean, that's how I did it and that makes the page act like I described in the first message. So I was wondering what am I doing wrong.

OK, so if your issue now resolved ?

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny!

I tried just setting the width of those textbox and mediabox sections, and it works perfectly now! 

OK, I seem to have misunderstood what you did.

Basically Column, 2 Column and 3 Column can not be added into one another. These sections are there so that you can quickly create a 1 or 2 or 3 column layout by simply dragging that section onto your template.

If you want a two column layout, drag and drop the 2 column layout section onto your template and then start dragging and dropping the sections you want to populate those areas.

If your Columns are not in the correct position upon save you either have your columns not adding up to 12, i.e. you can't have a one column using 7 and the other column using 6, as that adds up to 13. Your columns width can be whatever you like, as long as all columns don't exceed 12.

If your columns are not exceeding 12, then you may have an issue with the HTML you're adding to your textbox or custom CSS such as a border that is pushing your column below.

If that isn't the case it may well be a plugin, therefore disable all active plugins and see if your issue is resolved.

If not, to recreate your issue, can you provide the steps you have taken to experience this issue such as:

* The widths of your columns

* What sections are you using

* What code have you used in your sections and what image(s)

Any other info you feel may assist us.

Posted · Report post

OK, can you tell me exactly what it was you were doing that caused the issue, as I am going to adding more indepth guides to our documentation. So having the information on how you did it wrong the first time will help me write the instructions better.

Appreciate anything you can provide.

Posted · Report post

I thought that it is possible to insert column section inside another column section. I was able to do this with 1-column section, but not with other column sections. Then I set the widths of these columns correctly and dragged textbox and mediabox sections inside those columns. This caused the issue I described in the first message. 

Hope this helps you guys.

OK, can you tell me exactly what it was you were doing that caused the issue, as I am going to adding more indepth guides to our documentation. So having the information on how you did it wrong the first time will help me write the instructions better.

Appreciate anything you can provide.

Posted · Report post

Well, now that I try adding padding-left: 10px; to the right side column it takes the whole column to the new "row" under left column :) How to stop this from happening?

I thought that it is possible to insert column section inside another column section. I was able to do this with 1-column section, but not with other column sections. Then I set the widths of these columns correctly and dragged textbox and mediabox sections inside those columns. This caused the issue I described in the first message. 

Hope this helps you guys.

Posted · Report post

Why do you want to add padding-left: 10px to the columns ? The Columns already have both margin and padding set already, adding more may cause your column to move below your other column.

Posted · Report post

Just wanted to add more space between the two columns :) 

Why do you want to add padding-left: 10px to the columns ? The Columns already have both margin and padding set already, adding more may cause your column to move below your other column.