Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Edit caption style in DMS

Question

Posted · Report post

How do I edit the CSS for captions in DMS? I want the words to align left instead of center, which is the WordPress default.

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

no sure what you refer to word alignment. I will guess in this case textbox..   By default should be text align left.

you go over fault

1. Add Section

2. Drop your Textbox

3 at right sidebar you will see a text alignment

Please refer the image below.

http://cl.ly/image/310g2N300p1H

Posted · Report post

Hi Newbie, 

I don't know how to make it align left but if you want the type to be smaller, put the caption in the Text and Embed box instead of in the Title box.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you explain in greater detail what you mean by caption please.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for everyone's interest and generosity. I'll try to better explain my question, using this page as an example: http://www.in-terms-of.com/right-here-right-now/

The captions for the three images, which were written while I was composing the post and inserting photos, are centered underneath their respective images. I would like the captions to align to the left side and do this globally, so that every caption throughout the website--and every future caption--is aligned to the left side.

In other WordPress themes, it's possible to edit the CSS, but PageLines DMS discourages changes to the CSS via WordPress because updates to DMS will overwrite the WordPress CSS. I have not yet found the place in DMS to make a change of this kind.

Posted · Report post

Hi Ninja,

The picture caption can be added via the media box options rather than by inserting a text box.

Posted · Report post

OK, to customize the caption you can use custom CSS. For this, I highly recommend you use Google Chrome web dev tools (it's the best imo) and inspect the element. You should find a div with a class called wp-caption, you can use this class to add custom CSS.

For example:

#site .wp-caption {
background-color: #F00;
color: #FFF;
}

This will change the captions background color to red and the text to white, you're free to change the colors and expand on the code.

If you're unsure how to use Chromes web dev tools, I recommend signing up to Code School its free, who have a free introduction to Web Dev tools, the course should make  you a Chromes web dev tools ninja in no time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

CoachJo, are you suggesting that I abandon the option to write my captions while editing the image in WordPress (as I'm creating and formating a blog post or page), and instead to add a DMS design element?

Ninja, I understand that I must add a <p style="text-align: left;"> to the CSS for captions, which I've identified as <p class="wp-caption-text">. Thanks.

Edited by LightningBoxer

Posted · Report post

I don't quite understand how to add code to the Custom LESS/CSS. I've placed the following in the box for Custom Code:

#site media="all" .wp-caption .wp-caption-text {
text-align: left;
}

but I do not see the proper results. In fact, browsers are giving me a compile error.