Wordpress SEO breaks layout in Chrome

Question

Posted · Report post

If if install Wordpress SEO of Joost van de Valk complete DMS layout is broken in Chrome. Safari and Firefox are ok.

A bug?

44 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue please. However, I have to say I think this your issue related to something else. I have just installed Wordpress SEO on my test site and I can't see any issue.

Posted · Report post

Danny here are some screenshots.

Wordpress SEO plugin deactivated and after after activating. Tested it both on my test site on localhost and live. It is just in Google Chrome.

As you can see here in this topic someone else has the same problem and when  deactivated wordpress seo problem was gone: http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/29276-dms-layout-completely-destroyed/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z139ns4k5cfcgyb/Schermafbeelding%202013-08-25%20om%2010.05.01%20AM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvmwag7b53lvvpk/Schermafbeelding%202013-08-25%20om%2010.00.33%20AM.jpg

Posted · Report post

I can't recreate the your issue.

Wordpress SEO enabled - http://cl.ly/image/3e1t463F3p1M

Wordpress SEO disabled - http://cl.ly/image/2y2O1B3k180s

Therefore, I recommend you update all your plugins (you have 27 notifications in your sites wp adminbar) and see if this resolves your issue. If it doesn't I recommend you disable all active plugins and check to see if the issue persists.

Posted · Report post

Danny those are not plugins but themes ;-) Plugins are up to date:

The plugins I installed are:

- flickr mini gallery

- tubepress

- akismet

- custos sidebar

- disquss

- nextgen

I will disable all and install Wordpress SEO as first and the one by one. You will hear from me.

Posted · Report post

OK, regardless of whether your updates are for plugins or themes, make sure you keep everything to up-date. Also make sure Wordpress is up-to-date.

I have already shown you that the issue is not related to Wordpress SEO and DMS. It could well be an issue with your server.

Can you provide a link to the site in question please and also enable PageLines Debug mode (DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced).

Posted · Report post

Danny

all disabled: no problems

just Wordpress SEO activated: layout broken https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nirfbrgp7d3755/Schermafbeelding%202013-08-25%20om%2010.24.14%20AM.jpg

These scripts are loaded now:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://localhost/blog/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.10.2'></script> <script type='text/javascriptsrc='http://localhost/blog/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery-migrate.min.js?ver=1.2.1'></script>  

<script type='text/javascriptsrc='http://localhost/blog/wp-content/themes/dms/editor/js/utils.hotkeys.js?ver=0.9.7'></script>

revslider script

<!-- On Ready -->   <script> /* <![CDATA[ */   !function ($) {   jQuery(document).ready(function() {   })   }(window.jQuery);   /* ]]> */  

</script>

<!-- NavBar | Section Head -->   <!--[if IE 8]>   <style>   .nav-collapse.collapse {   height: auto;   overflow: visible;   }   </style>   <![endif]-->   <script>   jQuery(document).ready(function() {   //Add jQuery Code Here   });   </script>  

Posted · Report post

Danny I am running now on localhost. And in reply above you see that all plugins are disabled, just wordpress seo enabled and then layout is broken.....

My live site is on: http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/

Posted (edited) · Report post

Danny debug mode is enable. I have also pagelines v2 compatibility on (I have it enabled when I installed DMS). Do not know if that make sense

Edited by hansonexperience

Posted · Report post

Danny did some testing. When the layout is broken I cannot do View Pagesource. It seems like an image. Sometimes I can click on a link and when I click on that link in the broken layout the blog is displayed correctly. When I click on other permalinks verythings is fine. Even when going to Home again layout is fine. 

So the problem happens when clicking in the admin on Visit site.

I logged out and then the layout is ok when visiting my blog. 

All testing was done with Wordpress SEO activated.

When I deactivated Wordpress SEO and then clicked Visit site layout is ok.

Conclusion:

when logged in, wordpress seo enabled, v2 compatibilty mode enabled, clicking visit site from admin menubar breaks layout

when logged in, wordpress seo enbable, v2 compatibiltiy mode disabled, clicking visit site from admin menubar breaks layout

when logged in, wordpress seo disabled, everything is fine

From the screenshots you've posted I think we're having a pretty similar issue, though I've never used the SEO plugin and experience the issue even with all plugins disabled. My debug page is here if it helps.

Edited by hopk

Posted · Report post

Where can I find the debug page so that I can post it here?

And what are your steps or solution hopk  ?

Posted · Report post

You need to enable the debug page via Global Options, Advanced, Pagelines Debug. Then from Global Options, Admin Shortcuts you should have a link to it. Unfortunately I don't have a solution, the only workaround I've found is changing the default static page which at least makes it possible for me to edit one page at a time though is obviously impractical in the long run (when my site is actually properly live).

hopk Hope Pagelines can find a solution for us because this is a strange problem. Thx for helping for debug file. I do not have a link to debug file

Posted · Report post

OK, regardless of whether your updates are for plugins or themes, make sure you keep everything to up-date. Also make sure Wordpress is up-to-date.

I have already shown you that the issue is not related to Wordpress SEO and DMS. It could well be an issue with your server.

Can you provide a link to the site in question please and also enable PageLines Debug mode (DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced).

I disagree to keep all plugins ask up to date. Because sometimes plugins do not support new Wordpress versions and are incompatible with the new version.

So I am a bit anxious with updates. 

Posted · Report post

If your plugin isn't up to date when Wordpress release a new version then its most likely a bad plugin. The is the main purpose for Wordpress being released in beta and RC form, so developers can test their plugins.

IMO, the majority of users install far too many plugins to begin with, which offer really silly functionality to Wordpress. Regardless of this, I am still unable to recreate your issue, I have now installed Wordpress SEO on 14 test sites, each one of them has the layout intact.

Therefore, can you please update to the latest version of DMS, enable debug mode (as it currently isn't) and also provide the following information please.

* Your permalinks setup

* Are you sure you have removed any custom CSS/scripts you may have added ?

hopk Your website looks fine ? Have you resolved the issue ?

Posted · Report post

Danny Mentioned conclusions above is NOT on my live site but on my test site. And I have enable debug mode there. And I have installed JUST Wordpress SEO when I mentioned conclusions after testing. Customer css code is on DMS.

For updates of plugins. If Wordpress releases a new version most of the plugins are NOT updated the is my experience. We run 40 blogs in our university and we always wait for several weeks/months for updating to new wordpress version because of not updating plugins.

A lot of plugins are recommended (even by Pagelines) such as custom sidebar or ubermenu.  And wordpress SEO and WP Supercache or akismet are also "necessary".

Do you think those plugins are silly?

I will remove custom css code on my test server.

Posted · Report post

Not sure what you're talking about to be honest, all the plugins you mentioned above apart from Custom Sidebars and UberMenu, are 99% of the time already compatible with the latest version of Wordpress and require a update.

When I said you should make sure your plugins are up to date I was referring to the plugin not having an update notification and you not updating it. You can't update a plugin that has no update ? So I am not sure what you're trying to say.

You mentioned in an earlier post that your issue is happening on a test, local and live. Therefore, can you please enable PL debug mode on your live site and provide a link to the site in question.

Posted · Report post

hopk Your website looks fine ? Have you resolved the issue ?

Nope, the issue I've got is one that only manifests when I'm logged in. Logged out everything looks just fine.

Posted · Report post

My live site is on http://www.hansonexperience.com with just Wordpress SEO plugin activated.

When I am logged in I have a broken lay out.

When logging out everything is fine. So I think you see no problem. 

When I am logged in I see the broken layout. As mentioned earlier the problem is in google chrome when you are logged in.

Posted · Report post

Nope, the issue I've got is one that only manifests when I'm logged in. Logged out everything looks just fine.

Danny"] @[member="hopk exactly that is what I am trying to say. Logged in: a mess logged out: fine Just with the wordpress seo plugin activated

Posted · Report post

Danny please let me know when you have tested because I do not want to have my live site without my video and photos as tubepress and flickr mini gallery are disabled right now.

Posted · Report post

hansonexperience

Can you take a screenshot of your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Settings > General page and your permalinks page please.

Danny hereby

[attachment=1413:Schermafbeelding 2013-08-25 om 16.07.52.png]

[attachment=1414:Schermafbeelding 2013-08-25 om 16.08.03.png]

Posted · Report post

OK, I have just viewed your sites page source and found that you have WP Super Cache still active, even though the plugin is disabled. Therefore, you most likely have this plugin configured incorrectly.

http://cl.ly/image/400O1f183s2j

W3 Total Cache nor WP Super Cache cannot be installed/activated and thats the job done. You need to understand how these plugins work as well as how your server is configured.

Therefore, I recommend you enable WP Super Cache again, flush your cache(s) and then disable again and remove it completely. Then view your sites page source and make sure that there is no WP Super Cache info at the bottom of your page source. This may well be the cause of the issue for you.

Posted · Report post

Danny I will do that but I do not understand why that's causing problems with Wordpress SEO when logged in...