Photo

Custom CSS does not work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 kirstensoerries

kirstensoerries

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hi I recently put in custom css on the theme options page, but after saving the code is not passed into the custom.css? please let me know whats wrong kirsten

#2 gnome

gnome

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

I'm finding the same thing with background-color. And I see a number of others have too. This is not amusing. First the child theme gets boffed with its lowercase/uppercase typo. I worked out a fix. Now this. I probably could work out a fix. But I'm trying to develop a theme, not fill in for PageLines quality control. Write permissions are just fine on my folders. These are really basic things. I was all set to recommend to several clients. Not. And if we don't start getting useful responses from PageLines, change "not" to "NEVER". Did I say I wasn't amused? %%robert

#3 edhamilton

edhamilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

bumped into this issue also. Both fixes for the upper/lower case issue had unintended consequences. I've asked for a refund. Gents - it wouldn't have taken but a few more beta testers and another week of testing to have saved us early adopters a lot of wasted time and aggravation. A poor launch of what looks to be a promising product.

#4 gnome

gnome

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

@Edward: you said it well. I've been on the initial launches of Genesis, Headway, and Chameleon, to name a few frameworks. Glitches, true. But took users a lot of banging to find them. Your last line says it all. %%robert

#5 edhamilton

edhamilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:31 AM

@robert, I think these guys have actually underestimated the need for such a product like platformpro I saw the posting about it on techcrunch. Jumped to the pagelines site, read up on it - my reaction ??? OMFG! This product does 90% of what I've been trying to coax out of thesis - straight out of the box - drag and drop !! Bought a developers license immediately. then spent the last three days pulling my hair out due to a few major bugs that render it useless at the moment. Had they throughly beta tested it I would have spent the weekend happily working and becoming a raving evangelist for platformpro. Instead I type here while facing the reality that its back to thesis for me. The poor responses so far in this forum only make it worse. Just simply replying - "we're sorry, we're on it, we're not sleeping until its fixed" would likely change the course of what so far looks to be a disasterous launch. FWIW though - when I switch back to thesis .... the feeling is one of utter disappointment at having to do so. THAT's how big of a dent platformpro could make in the market. Their response on Monday will tell me everything I need to know about this company. I hope they listen to users such as yourself. (me .. I'm an idiot newbie ...)

#6 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Hey guys, I hear you and I'm sorry about your frustration.. It's been a long weekend launching this thing; we are on all these issues asap. trust me there are many moving parts.

#7 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

It would help me though if we worked together on this; as most of the issues we've seen are due to file/folder permissions. I need to understand why the file/folder permissions are whacky and duplicate the issue.

#8 larsschnappaholicde

larsschnappaholicde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Custom css works in many (but not all) issues when i make changes to the buddypress style. But custom css works not when i make change to the wordpress theme settings like background, ...! The only setting i can change for the whole theme is link, hover, text colour or things like bold, underline, ...!

#9 gnome

gnome

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

@Edward Well, in my case it's not back to Thesis ;), but I am in total agreement. It is true that when the nearest competition, Headway and Builder, launched, there were some rough edges. That's normal. But both of them had extended betas (I was on both), and there was nothing that made me think "I really don't want to start developing with this yet." But when there's a typo in Base's style.css, when the custom css box only works on occasion, those are showstoppers. Yes, I fixed both, but I'd much rather have been coding. And I'm certainly not inclined to fix Showstopper No. 3. I see a couple of messages up is an official reply. I am willing to suspend judgment. But not forever. %%robert P.S. No such thing as an"idiot" newbie. I don't think anyone was born knowing how to bang out PHP and dream in JQuery :)!

#10 photomatt

photomatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hey guys, we're all on the same team here. I'm looking out for you; so give me 24 hours.

#11 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hey guys, we're all on the same team here. We're looking out for you; so just make sure we know what the issues are and give us a reasonable amount of time to fix. In the meantime; we just pushed out a 1.0.9 update.

#12 jiznakefoo

jiznakefoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

Kirsten, I have had the same issue with the custom CSS not working. It seems that the default CSS options are given priority over the custom CSS. A work around I found was to include the tag "!important" immediately before the ";" for whatever CSS I wanted changed. It's a little bit of a pain, but it does work. Hope that helps. Jake

#13 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hey Jake, You just need to make the custom rules more specific than the original ones. `!important` is just one way of doing this; but it isn't to best practice, because it can't be overwritten, by anything but another `!important`

#14 jiznakefoo

jiznakefoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hey Arpowers, Yeah of course that's best, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried adding "body etc etc" but it still gets overwritten. Is there a way to make the dynamic.css file take precedence over the others? Thanks!

#15 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

Yes. and this is being released in v1.1.0 tomorrow morning. The problem is obviously that the custom.css file was being loaded before the theme.css file. These issues should all be fixed with tomorrow's update. If you want to do itn ow however you just need to go to style.css and change the order of the stylesheets getting imported. For both Platform and Base just to be safe.

#16 scottbruzek

scottbruzek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

I just installed 1.1.0 and am still having Custom CSS problems. I have tried to set the following via Custom CSS...no luck. I put the changes in base.css and had no problems. I would like to be able to run all the changes in one file, not multiple. #primary-nav .content-pad{padding: 2px;} #footer a { color: #000; } #footer li a { color: #000; }

#17 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

Probably a specificity problem. If you have a live link, we can double check... Check out the screencast on this post: http://www.pagelines...pic.php?id=2987

#18 scottbruzek

scottbruzek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

My site: http://new.drumhike.scottbruzek.com/

I've tried to set as specific references as possible, but if you identify something more, that would be very helpful.
 #primary-nav .content-pad{padding: 2px;}
	#footer a { color: #000; }
	#footer li a { color: #000; }

#19 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

` body #page #primary-nav .content-pad{padding: 2px;} body #page #footer a { color: #000; } body #page #footer li a { color: #000; } `

#20 gnome

gnome

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

I'm glad to confirm that the last revision of Pro 1.1.1 solves the issue of custom css box not "taking" -- works just fine now. Appreciate the work that went into the fix! As far as I'm concerned, this issue is...resolved. %%robert