Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DMS sessions draining CPU?

Question

Posted · Report post

While a had a webpage open to edit in DMS (in a Chrome tab), I noticed that this Chrome tab kept drawing 5%-7% of the CPU power (i7 processor). Even though I hadn't been on that tab for more than a day.

Is that a known issue? Is there any way to work around this problem?

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

5%-7% is an issue?

Posted · Report post

Hi, I personally don't see how 5-7% is an issue tbh, I have about 5 windows open each with about 15 tabs, which makes Chrome eat my CPU for fun. I don't see this as an issue to be honest.

Posted · Report post

Today, I noticed that it has gotten even worse. I noticed CPU consumption of 30% and 12% of two open pages open with DMS.

The fan was was busy.

Danny"] @[member="thebastion : 5-7% is in issue in Chrome. Remember, Chrome runs each tab as a separate process. The CPU utilization reported is just for a specific tab, not for Chrome altogether.

Imagine the CPU load, if all your 75 open tabs ate as much, Danny.

As soon as I kill the tabs with DMS, the CPU load drops to normal, and the fans calms down.

Posted · Report post

Your CPU load will vary based on traffic, the pages or posts they load, and resources they're pulling.  The more visitors, the more CPU use.  Did someone tell you that CPU use should be static or fixed? If so, they lied.  It is a constantly varying sum. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Rob. To clarify, I'm not talking about the server CPU (which would be immpacted by traffic load).

My question is about the client-side use of DMS - having a page (with many sections) open in edit mode. That particular tab continues to pulls a unusually high CPU load. Even a day after the edit was done.

Posted · Report post

That could come from an infinite variety of causes, not necessarily DMS.  I cannot imagine DMS causing that, unless there's a plugin conflict.

Posted · Report post

Just found this thread and it makes me wonder. I have a "new to me" Mac laptop and just started using DMS and Chrome. When I have many tabs open in Chrome AND am editing a DMS site, the fan comes on and seems to stay on a majority of the time that the Chrome browser (w/DMS) is open. Also with the power cord attached, the speed of recharge is very slow. Shut down Chrome and DMS and the charge time is faster AND the fan eventually stops reving?!@#

Anyone else seeing a correlation like this?

I need to know, as I'm considering returning the machine to the store for a checkup - but if it's just Chrome running DMS, when that's a different issue...

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I use a 2011 MacBook Pro and I do not encounter this issue and I have on average about 15 tabs to which 5-8 of them are DMS sites for testing users issues. I do not encounter my fan screaming.

However, after having Chrome open for a while with many tabs open, Chrome does seem to chew on my CPU, but this isn't DMS specific.

Posted · Report post

Interesting, jeomiland, that it is not just one person observing this problem.

My guess: the higher consumption slows down the re-charge.

Yes, Rob, this could come from a variety of causes. Since it has been observed specifically with DMS, let's find out what it is, before the story gets out of hand.

Again, Danny, Chrome runs each tab as a separate process, consuming different CPU loads each. Chrome as such does not "chew on the CPU", it is each tab/process.

You can check the CPU load for each Chrome process. Or, you can close one tab at a time, and check went the overall CPU load drops significantly. See if the DMS tab makes a difference.

Posted · Report post

DMS should have no bearing on the CPU use any more than any program on a computer. The use of the CPU can vary based on activities and is never static.  If you open DMS and use it, sure it will impact the CPU usage.  But if you closed it and opened another program, the CPU use would go up as well.  Keep DMS open, and open Word or Excel and the use will go up again.  That use is not a static thing and DMS isn't doing anything to your computer that would cause extraordinary CPU usage.

There's nothing in DMS to fix.

Posted · Report post

Please understand that a majority of my tabs are from the same domain, be it PageLines.com or my test site(s). Therefore Chrome doesn't run a separate process for each tab.

Now, I haven't ever had any issues. I have been checking for the last couple of days and still don't have any issues, nor does any tabs running DMS cause the fan to speed up after several hours.

The only time my fans go crazy is when visiting users websites, that have tons of plugins/scripts running. Sometimes, users can be running scripts and whatever it is, actually causes Chrome to crash.

So if you can monitor the issue and post any screenshots, that would be helpful. But as far as I am concerned this isn't an issue with DMS.

Also, see if it may be related to a conflict to one of your Chrome extensions. Run incognito mode and monitor your CPU.