Problem with comment avatars

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are two issues I'll be addressing in this topic, the first is about a problem with comment avatars which seem to be half out of the whole content area and half in. I thought it would be easier to just post a screenshot so you can see what I mean, so check that out first.

The problem with the avatars being like that is that on screens with a resolution smaller in width than the website's width, a certain amount of that first half of the avatars can't be seen, because it's outside the site's responsive area (if the screen's width is small enough, the first half is completely gone). I just wanted to point this out so it can be fixed in future versions of DMS and maybe even get a quick-fix until that happens, if that's possible.

The second issue is with those weird characters. They only appear in Chrome (latest version) and only when I'm logged in as an admin, whether the Pagelines Editor is turned on or off. In any other browser there's no problem, even if I'm logged in. Also, this doesn't always happen and never in the same place. For example, some titles are displaying just fine and others are not. I'm not even using special characters or anything; as you can see in the screenshot, "3 Responses to" just shows up as gibberish. Five minutes later, when reloading the website, some titles that didn't display correctly are now fine and others that did are now messed up. Later, everything could displays correctly. It's not that big of a deal since I'm the only one seeing them and I don't have to worry about that happening to my readers, but I thought you should know.

I hope I was clear enough in my explanations and that you can help me with the whole avatars thing until it gets fixed in an update. Thanks!

Edited by ovidiuav

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

May we have a link to check in Chrome and Firefox? I'm trying to figure out why this is happening.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

I assume you're referring to the gibberish. Giving you a link is pointless, as I did say it only happens when I'm logged in as an admin and can edit the site. Regular visitors never see the gibberish. My blog is located at http://blog.ovidiuav.com. Knock yourself out.

Looking forward to hearing any info on the avatars, as that's the main issue here. Thanks!

P.S. Forgot to mention that the text issue has been there from day one, before I made any modifications whatsoever.

Posted · Report post

You're very funny.  The minute I saw a post in Firefox, I was able to identify the need for the code below.  Add it to Custom Code.

.wp-comments .wp-comments-pad {

margin-left: 40px;
    padding: 10px 0;
}
As for the funny characters,  WordPress is seeing some of the special characters used and probably assuming all letters (characters) should be within the same language.  Thus, in Chrome, when editing, you're seeing them, and in other browsers out of edit mode, one cannot.

Posted · Report post

The code worked, thanks!

You're very funny.

I don't know where that came from, but thanks. And why specify Firefox? It wasn't a browser specific issue.

As for the funny characters,  WordPress is seeing some of the special characters used and probably assuming all letters (characters) should be within the same language.  Thus, in Chrome, when editing, you're seeing them, and in other browsers out of edit mode, one cannot.

I don't... what?

Posted · Report post

I loved the way you said "Knock yourself out".

Firefox because that's where Firebug works and I use that to inspect (my Chrome is maxed out editing my site with DMS).  Simple inspection with Firebug or Chrome would have revealed that code and allowed the testing, copying and placement. 

All that really matters or counts is that we successfully fixed your issue.  I hope no offense was taken as none was intended.

Posted · Report post

There's still the problem with the text.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure what exactly is causing it other than the font being used. How did you apply the special characters that were used intentionally? Did you change the font in any way?

If you didn't, then clearly your site is picking up a different one from the normal language set (Latin).