Only 64 MB memory from hosting, pagelines possible?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I'm am starting a website with a hosting which only supports 64MB php memory. When installing wordpress and later on pageslines DMS i get this error.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 64 bytes) in /public/sites/www.iteratie.nl/wp-content/themes/dms/includes/less.plugin.php on line 282

I suppose this is due to the memory limit of 64MB by the hosting and before I contact my client, I would like to know if there is a workaround and get pagelines to work within these 64MB?

26 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I'm running it on only 40mb on one shared server and have no issues at all.

Posted · Report post

thank you for the answer, but unfortunately, this does not help me a bit. Do you agree that the error states that I have a too low php memory? I checked this with the provider and it is indeed 64 mb.

I'm using wordpress 3.6 and pagelines DMS 0.9.7. Is this different than yours? 

Posted · Report post

All I was saying was I'm running lower memory so essentially I was helping you work out that a system can run on lower memory than your system has, anyway yes I'm running the same set up as you, WP3.6 and DMS 0.97.

I'm no expert on servers or PHP but it does look like your server reached its allocated memory limit when trying to read line 282 in the less file.

Do you have a lot of plugins running?

Posted · Report post

you're right, i'm a little frustrated by it :p.

I have deleted all of my plugins, I have none at the moment. I just can't figure out why it needs the 64mb at least.

Posted · Report post

Are you using the github or pagelines version?

Posted · Report post

Just pagelines DMS

Posted · Report post

I had the same problem. Fortunately, my hosting allows me to increase to 128Mb which got rid of the error.

Posted · Report post

So there is probably no workaround?

Posted · Report post

opwolken

I have just visited your website and it appears to be working. Therefore, can you enable PL Debug mode please.

DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced

Once enabled reply here and we can investigate the issue further. PageLines DMS shouldn't require 64Mb or more to run.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the help. 

the site i'm referring to is http://iteratie.nl/

my own site is based on a different hosting partner.

Posted · Report post

opwolken"] when @[member="thebastion asked you which version you're using, he was trying to clarify what site was used for the source of your installation: whether it was the documentation or our homepage. 

Please go to http://www.pagelines.com and fill out the form when clicking the red button. This will give you a download file called dms.zip.  Please unzip the file and save the dms folder (it contains) to your desktop.

FTP into your site. Navigate to wp-content/themes and find either dms or DMS-DEV.  Delete either one (or both if you have the two).

Let the deletion process complete.

Then, upload the dms folder you saved to your desktop. Let the upload complete.

In Firefox, go to your website and login as admin.

Browse to Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and make sure DMS is the activated theme.

Then, view the site in Firefox.  It will look much better.  Your current installation is broken.

PS. If you do not have the ability to FTP, use the file management tools provided by your host.  That should be a very loud sign that you need a new hosting company.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob, thank you as well for the help. 

I have done this procedure of installment many times, and did so just the right way (installing the dms.zip via ftp). The problem is though that after installing, and when activating I get the error which I reported in my first post:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 64 bytes) in /public/sites/www.iteratie.nl/wp-content/themes/dms/includes/less.plugin.php on line 282

I believe because of this error my DMS installment is broken.

I am now wondering why I get this fatal error. Because as said a 64 php memory should be enough.

Posted · Report post

Can you please enable PL Debug mode please. The issue is most likely related to your server configuration, providing these details may help us resolve your issue.

Posted · Report post

@opwolken  Is there a phpinfo.php file in your site? If so, please point us to it.  If your host is providing ONLY 64mb of memory, in total, then we don't know if there is actually 64Mb allocated to PHP.

When such errors occur, it's often a plugin conflict, or a server issue.  You could have 64Mb as your host says, but they could have your site on a machine with 650 other websites.

We just don't know. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny"] and @[member="Rob, 

I have enabled debug and below you find the phpinfo. 

http://iteratie.nl/phpinfodaan.php

thank you again for helping, you're doing a good job and keeping the forum life and healthy!

Posted · Report post

Hi, Are you sure you have enabled PL Debug mode, as the URL isn't working.

Posted · Report post

I have just checked and I'm sure. 

I have set WP_debug from false to true.

Posted · Report post

Ah I apologise I mean PageLines debug mode.

Which you can find from DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced

Posted · Report post

opwolken - slightly confused by your latest reply, you're the one who started the topic so we know you have an issue that is why we are responding. I have asked if you can enable PageLines debug mode, the instructions are above.

When you have it enabled, please reply here informing us.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Danny

I will summarize my problem.

I have an hosting server on which I installed wordpress (working properly),

after that I uploaded DMS 0.9.7 from www.pagelines.com from within wordpress.

this installment has no problems.

Then I activate the DMS in wordpress, and when I do so I get the error below and the DMS is not properly activated or installed, I don't know.

the line number in the error differs, a bit random every time I refresh or try again.

Later on the error above didn't show up anymore, instead it just displays a broken site as you can see on www.iteratie.nl and in the image taken from the root logged in as admin. (http://postimg.org/image/btgp07g8j/)

As you requested I have added the php info file. (www.iteratie.nl/phpinfodaan.php)

I have tried installing DMS from ftp but it had the same result.

In the meantime I have created the website for the client on a local host and maybe on friday I will try to upload it via ftp and hopefully that will work, but I think it won't.

This is my problem, I hope you can help me out and give me a golden tip so I can get this site up and running on this terribly cheap hosting server. (30 euro per year)

edit: because I can't enter the root page properly, I can't enable the pagelines debug mode. Is there an other way?

Edited by opwolken

Posted · Report post

First thing you need to do is add a page or a post so the site isnt just a big 404 mess.

Go to wp-admin => pagelines and click on dms tools tab, click SAVE to regenerate css. Looks like you had the framework installed in the wrong folder initially as it is referencing pagelines folder for fonts etc.

Posted · Report post

Hi Everyone,

I have the exact same issue on the same host,

Running WP 3.6 and the newest version of Pagelines DMS.

I also can't access PageLines debug mode like opwolken

Any help..?

Posted · Report post

Hi dandro. I gave up and switched to yourhosting.nl best and most trustworthy hosting in the Netherlands, though a bit more expensive.

Posted · Report post

Probably the best solution you could find.