Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

jQuery and jQuery UI

Question

Posted · Report post

I am trying to embed forms onto my site from Formstack:

https://www.formstack.com

They provide a WP plugin that gives you widgets, but if i use them, my pages break.  The DMS editor disappears and I can't even edit the page anymore. 

So, they also provide a JS Embed Snippet, and through trial and error found out that I can get it to work if I check off some options  "I don't need jQuery" and "I don't need jQuery UI"

I know that you don't provide any support for 3rd party plugins, but I was wondering if someone could enlighten me about jQuery and how this could be interacting with Pagelines DMS to break the pages?

In addition, what is particularly frustrating is that adding the code w/o checking off these options to disable jQuery make it so that I can no longer even edit the page.  So it seems that I have to delete it to try again!  Annoying!

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

arlomiller welcome to the trial and error jQuery fun.

The Visual Editor is heavily based on jQuery so anything that conflicts with it causes it to blow up in various shapes and forms. You obviously did not see this or do a search for jQuery in the search option?

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28667-jquery-blown-up-front-end-editor/

Posted · Report post

My apologies for not searching and finding that post.  

Setting up the hooks is going to be beyond my expertise.  Which brings up the question:  I'm using pagelines because I hate having my site hard coded and being dependent on a programmer to make changes/add new content.  DMS let's me and my staff manage things.  But, there are some setup things, primarily styling and integrations (such as this) that I could really use some help with.  Using inspector and reading about CSS and searching the forums, I've been able to exert some control over styling (which i'm finding MUCH easier to do in DMS than in Framework BTW--Good job DMS), but I think an experienced Pagelines person could probably do this much more quickly, and better.  

Its funny that i'm listed as an "Advanced Member".  I'm a freaking dermatologist, not a designer or coder.  

Posted · Report post

arlomiller

I've only been using DMS for about 2 weeks and have never used Pagelines before. I have found that I have to use a lot of code with DMS from the go to style sections and items. I'm simpy getting used to having to do that any time I want to do anything, it would appear that the saying "You can't have your cake and eat it" is still true to this day.

Good luck.

Posted · Report post

arlomiller

Since DMS loads both javascript and jquery in the latest, most advanced versions, its likely that a plugin will load an earlier, conflicting version. Once you told your plugin to disable them, the widget should work, when added to the sidebar, or the embed code should work in a text area.

On the subject of CSS,  I apologize and politely point out that when we design things like PlatformPro, Framework or DMS, they're built with the intent for people to use them, as is, but with the ability to customize.  Once they go beyond the scope of built-in settings, customization becomes essential. As many people prefer to have their sites look exactly their way, they usually opt for the customization, which requires CSS code, hooks, and other options for advanced users.

BTW, the "Advanced Member" isn't about your programming skills, but about how long you've been a member of this forum, and how often you've contributed to it or posted questions.

Posted · Report post

@smart egg.  Whew!  wouldn't want anyone thinking "advanced" meant that I knew what the heck I was doing!

I'm not criticizing DMS for needing CSS.  DMS is fantastic.  I'm lamenting my inability to learn enough CSS to do all that I want and, perhaps more of a problem, my inability to find a crack pagelines programmer that I could hire for their mojo.

Posted · Report post

Arlo,

My s/n is One Smart Egg, but eggs crack so not sure if that's so smart or if I am!  :D

Try www.elsue.com.