Are standard sub-menu's available?

Question

Posted · Report post

In the old iBlogPro, it was possible to have your child OR sibling pages appear in a row below the main navigation menu. I don't really like cascading menu's but I'd like to have that simple navigation back.  Is that possible? I'm probably missing a simple way to implement it?

15 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The Mobile Navigation menu can be configured by going to DMS ToolBar > Global Options > Layout & Nav.

From here you have two options Primary and Secondary Navigation, these are used for the Mobile Menu. This means you can have different menus on your mobile menu and Main Nav.

The general idea is that the Primary Menu is used for your main menu items and the Secondary should be used for Drop down menu items.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You're referring to Secondary Nav. That's no longer an option in DMS.

However, there are ways of creating secondary menus on individual pages or sections of your site.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the answer. Could you recommend some methods?  I think it's possible to add local menu's in the space below the main bar, but I'm looking for a menu that would show the selected item. I don't seem to see any like that.

Posted · Report post

You know, I stand corrected.

In DMS, go to Global Options then select Layout & Nav.  On the left, you'll see an option to select a secondary navigation menu.

Honestly, I don't have a clue how it's applied.  I've not seen it in the docs yet, and will have to ask further about it.

Posted · Report post

Rob i think it displays the drop downs within the mobile menu because the mobile menu by default will not show children......

leftcoastmichael or try these:

http://nickhaskins.co/product/navable/

http://nickhaskins.co/product/crackbar/

I have tried Navable and it is ok but lacks styling, not tried crackbar but I would like to because although Navable is slightly better in the drop down children aspect it does not handle long words very well.

Posted · Report post

@thebastion  Could well be!  I'm still learning this system.  Ubermenu does display the child menu items in mobile, so I suppose I'm spoiled by that.

Thanks for that tidbit!

Posted · Report post

Hmm...the secondary (child) nav seems to work okay here; I've just created a separate sub-menu for each of the three top-level items, and dropped them in to a 'simple nav' right below the top nav.

Interestingly, it also seems to show up on my Mobile device; I think it's reading the secondary nav's automatically. 

VFB7BoR.jpg

First level on my iPhone: this correctly shows the Breadcrumb as well as the secondary menu:

wLOeEX6.jpg

"Menu" level: The three top-level items are duplicated, not sure why.

yfd0tEB.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

leftcoastmichael yeah like I said the seconday menu I think is used to display the children of your primary menu (for mobile menu) its a bit long winded but it works. I dont think you are meant to use the secondary menu on any pages though because it will duplicate them on mobile.

I could be wrong.

Edited by thebastion

Posted · Report post

leftcoastmichael the "secondary menu" will set up your children for mobile so you don't want to actually show it on the screen or it will duplicate on mobile as you have seen. You could create a SimplNav and assign that to your current on screen secondary then make it hide for mobile with a media query.

Thats the only way I can think you can do it.

Remember design more and code less ha ha!

Posted · Report post

Well at the moment, on my mobile, the secondary menu's are showing up on the site itself (see second screen shot above), which is fine with me. What's duplicated is the primary menu. I'll have to fiddle.

Posted · Report post

Perfect thanks!

Posted · Report post

@leftcoastmichael I have a client who wants this as well (on non-mobile site. The example she provided was this nav: http://lifevestinside.com/

I'm confused though. From what Danny's saying it doesn't sound like the secondary nav is meant to do this. How did you get yours working that way? Did you create a whole different menu as your secondary nav? I want the secondary nav to display just what would normally appear in drop downs when you rollover the primary item. So I don't see how this approach will do that. Am I misunderstanding what you've done? Thanks for any clarifying you can offer.

Posted · Report post

sheilahoff

I have used Ubermenu from Sevenspark.com (via CodeCanyon.net) and on mobile or non-mobile browsers, it allows drop down menus without creating a second menu. The layout is cool, the settings are very specific and it has tons of options.  Check it out.  http://dev.epicurus.com

Posted · Report post

Rob thanks! I am actually already testing that one out. The client ended up changing her mind about what she wanted (sigh) but I never did find a way to make Ubermenu leave the secondary nav displayed. It was horizontal and it has a ton of great features, but on her example site when you go to a section with secondary nav it continues to display.

Posted · Report post

If you ask the guys at Sevenspark they will doubtlessly give you the answer you need.  They're very responsive, professional and cooperative.  And much nicer than me!