Photo
Accordions

Is it possible to make a link trigger an accordion to open?

Best Answer ellenmva , 17 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

@flourishdesignstudio Should work now. I've updated Accordions with the fix. To update you will need to download it again from My Account and then unzip the file and upload it into your wp-content/plugins folder -- overwriting the current accordions plugin (automatic updates aren't working yet).

The version number with the fix is 1.3.1

Let me know if that does the trick.

Ellen

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York
  • Framework Version:all

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

First of all, I LOVE the accordion section. I've used it on a number of sites, and it is so easy and a great way to have a lot of information without overwhelming the reader. Nice work!

I would love to be able to link to a page and have a specific accordion open. I tried using an anchor, but that did not work. Is this even possible? 

#2 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks! I'm glad that Accordions has helped making lots of information accessible, 

And for your question, the answer is yes.  Basically, each accordion has an anchor link built in and when you copy that link and use it as a menu item or link on another page, it will go to the page and go down to the accordion and open it. 

I just hover over the accordion title I want to open and copy the link. 

Screenshot_8_15_13_7_32_PM.png

Then paste that link in your menu or on another page.

Let me know if it works for you.

Ellen

#3 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

OMG! That is brilliant! That made my day! This is going to be fantastic for a new site that I am working on! I'll send you a link when I have the navigation finished, because the ubermenu is going to have categories and the pages under the categories will trigger different accordion items! I am so excited! And I can't believe it was so easy! THANK YOU!! 

#4 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi again! When I click directly from a link to an accordion, then it seems that I am unable to close that accordion to open another. Here's and example: http://rasaspa.com/m...cordions-ufi5a3

#5 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

Okay, so I duplicated the problem, it's a conflict of some sort between RevSlider and Accordions. If you take RevSlider off the page the accordions work. I'm going to investigate and see if it is a problem in Accordions or RevSlider and get it fixed.

Just wanted to let you know I see what's happening, just have to figure out why.

Ellen

#6 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

@ellenmva Thank so much! I really appreciate your timely responses and your great work! As you can see from the sample, your accordions are a key feature in our new site. :)

• Jenny likes this

#7 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:38 PM   Best Answer

@flourishdesignstudio Should work now. I've updated Accordions with the fix. To update you will need to download it again from My Account and then unzip the file and upload it into your wp-content/plugins folder -- overwriting the current accordions plugin (automatic updates aren't working yet).

The version number with the fix is 1.3.1

Let me know if that does the trick.

Ellen

#8 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

@ellenmva Thank you so much, Ellen! That worked like a charm! I appreciate your help!

• Jenny and ellenmva like this

#9 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hi Ellen,

I would like to revisit this topic because now I am having problems making this work. I am using version 1.5.3 and cannot make this work. We have used the links on other sites/versions successfully but cannot make it work now. Any thought?

Thanks Ellen!

Anna

#10 agent654l

agent654l

• Members

• 14 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hi Ellen - I just purchased and am now having the same issue. Ex. http://nightvision-s...rease/approach/

Once on the page, cannot toggle with above approach between accordion menus, either from top, or left, navigation. Any quick fix for this?

#11 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hi @agent654l , did you happen to find a solution? I am still having this problem and cannot find a solution to make this work in the current version of Accordions. @ellenmva, any thoughts on why this used to work but doesn't now?

Thanks for helping to get this back up and working!

#12 agent654l

agent654l

• Members

• 14 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

No but Ellen was able to recreate the problem and promised a fix today, or soon. If she posts the new download/push for the plugin, I'll make sure to alert you in this post or in http://forum.pagelin...on/#entry191245 if you want to follow when she posts the update.

#13 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

@flourishdesignstudio There is an update for Accordions that should fix this issue. Check in your wp-admin for the update.

Ellen

#14 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

@ellenmva, I am still having a problem with this. A good example can be seen here: http://dairyone.com/...c1417-732038486 which should, in theory, open the "Feed and Forage Laboratory" accordion.

You will notice that I have the link with the #ac to open the accordion but it is still not working properly.  In case it helps I am running Accordions V 1.5.6, Wordpress 3.8.1 and DMS 1.1.6.

Thank you in advance for all your help. Accordions was a great solution for this site and this linking issue is the last part to make it work perfectly!

#15 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi @ellenmva,

Just wondering if you have found a solution to this. I keep searching the forums and coming up empty. Everything is up to date so I am not sure what else to do. I know this worked on other sites that we built (using the older versions of DMS, WP and Accordions) but for some reason this has stopped now when everythgin is up to date. 

Thanks!

#16 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

@ellenmva Hi Ellen! As I am updating this site rasaspa.com, I am revisiting this topic. Does updating to DMS2 allow you to search within accordions? I downloaded the Pageline Pro plugin and checked the box to make sections searchable, but it did not resolve the problem. So, I was just curious.

#17 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi @ellenmva !

I am hoping that you can help me achieve 2 things with the accordions: I'd like to be able to have a link trigger an accordion to the open position and I'd like the accordions to be searchable.

I can achieve both separately, but not at the same time.

It seems that when I use shortcode, accordions are searchable (but I can not link to an accordion to trigger it to open)

When I use accordions as a section, I can link and trigger an accordion to open (but the content is not searchable).

Is there any way to allow for both?

#18 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

@flourishdesignstudio The opening link should work with shortcode. Let me check out what is happening and get an update so you can have the accordions searchable as well.

Think the shortcode is the best way to go with search too because the search result is the page the accordions are on. If using the section it might only return the accordion post and the only way I know to achieve that is using a plugin like Relevanssi and using the option to search custom post types that are private.

Let me see though what's going on with shortcode and why the linking and opening isn't working. 

Best,

Ellen

#19 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 265 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks so much for looking into this! My client will be so happy when they can search their site, because it is so accordion-based. :)

#20 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

@flourishdesignstudio The update for accordions should show up in your wp-admin Dashboard --> Updates shortly. You should be all set to use the accordion shortcode now. One thing to mention is make sure to include accordions_id="unique-value" in the shortcode where your unique value is something like faqs, otherwise it will be a random value that changes and want to make sure that value is constant. If you are showing the same accordions set on the same page using the shortcode make sure that unique value is different in each shortcode.

Hope I explained that clearly. So your shortcode might look like 

[accordions accordion_set="my-set" accordions_id="faqs"]

Best.

Ellen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accordions