Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads.

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello,
earlier this week we installed latest version Wordpress without any plugins or themes. After downloading the dms.zip file and uploading the file as a theme in Wordpress (/wp-admin/theme-install.php?tab=upload) I received the following errror: Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
The map /wp-content had a permission number of 755 according to file manager of direct admin. After changing this number into 777 (same for wp-content/uploads) I retried to upload the zip file and received the error: The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads.

phpinfo.php is available in the root directory of our domain.

I look forward to your solution.

1 answer to this question

Posted · Report post

First, your server isn't allowing the creation of the upload folder.  I'm guessing you installed WordPress with some installer, and not manually, or you didn't set up an .htaccess file with 777 permissions. Ask your host about the permissions and ownership of your WP installation.

Next, you can install DMS by unzipping it and adding it to the wp-content/themes folder. It should not be in the Upload folder at all.

When you unzip dms.zip, you'll see a folder dms.  Save it to the desktop.

FTP into the site and navigate to wp-content/themes.  Upload the dms folder from the desktop (NOT THE ZIP FILE).

Browse to your site as admin, going to Dashboard > Appearance > Themes.  Select DMS and activate it.