Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What's the game plan for PageLines Framework 2.4.4?

PageLines Framework DMS Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 navigos

navigos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Framework Version:2.1

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Website URL: navigos.us/navigos
PageLines Framework Version: 2.4.4
Theme: iBlogPro: 5.2.5
Theme: Base: 1.0.2
WordPress Version: 3.6
Details:

Pagelines, Support,

I have been out of pocket for a few months and I am a little confused as to what I am suppose to do with my current PageLines Framework 2.4.4. Everything on your site is now related to DMS so I am not sure what I am suppose to do with my current PageLines framework. I was trying to upgrade some of the updates available for my plugins and I am getting errors. Are you replacing the framework with DMS? Do you still support the framework? Will my current themes work with the new framework (if an upgrade is necessary)? Are there upgrades to my themes in the new framework? What about my purchased plugins? Will they work or do I need to upgrade and will this cost me? I would appreciate if I could get some clarification as I have not been close to this in some months and now realizing things are not working and wondering what I am advised to do.

Thanks,
Rick

• imagineutopia, blueflag, nonRuhPseulse and 1 other like this

#2 blueflag

blueflag

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMijas, Spain
  • Framework Version:2.4.3

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

I would like to second this topic.

At my recommendation we chose Pagelines Framework to start a project in middle of last July (2013) though we knew that DMS was being rolled out soon. We paid and started working to get familiar with the implementation.

When we wanted to start really getting down to work we went to download free and paid plugins, only to find that there was an issue with the Shop due to some hacking, we have waited a couple of weeks and it now appears that the Shop will not re-open and find that our version of Pagelines has become obsolete and seems not to be supported any longer.

We have tried out DMS but are more comfortable with what we paid for.

Can someone confirm to me that I should give up on Framework 2.4.4 as we will not be able to get any of the previously available plugins?

Should we not have been told this was going to happen? If so, we would have had the chance to stock up with certain essential - for us -plugins before it closed.

To be honest, I have never encountered a situation where I purchase a product and then have it made practically useless in 10 days. How can I now recommend to the company that we now try to take the step to DMS? In a years time, perhaps the same happens - and I sincerely can't risk my job make two mistakes in a row!

Thanks

Adam

• navigos and imagineutopia like this

#3 tracsd1

tracsd1

• Members

• 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

What's the game plan for PageLines Framework 2.4.4?  When I try to look at the thread before upgrading, I just get a blank page. Are you guys not updating pagelines anymore for the people who purchased that product?  I just tried to update a site of mine and it is showing errors: An error occurred while updating PageLines Framework: Could not remove the old theme.  

I purchased this in April 2012. Am I going to be able to use this anymore?  Please let me know so I will know what action to take.  Thank you.

• navigos and blueflag like this

#4 lotosring

lotosring

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHannover
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Greetings full of sun from Hannover, Germany.

I liked to work with pagelines since some month.

At this time I use 2.4.4

I do not like to jump to your DMS !

Where is my framework-download-account I've paid for ?

Canceled ?

Will updates come in the future ?

At this time my opinion about pagelines is not the best !

I'm looking for a satisfactory answer from the pagelines-team.

Thanks.

Have a peaceful time !

KChristoph

• navigos and blueflag like this

#5 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2167 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi there

Please, you can see this

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and

Perhaps answer the questions.

#6 blueflag

blueflag

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMijas, Spain

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Batman

Neither of those links really answer my questions.

Adam

#7 navigos

navigos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Adam,

Agreed, it doesn't answer mine either nor does it tell me how long those links will last. I would appreciate an official PageLines response so I can plan my organization's web architecture over the coming months and would like to understand what my options are. I am not looking for a band-aid I am looking for a solid idea of what I can do with what I have, for how long and when it makes sense to migrate it to something else (and if that will be PageLines or someone else) as it seems this will be necessary since the framework will be phased out. An organization who wants my business will help me understand this so time will tell whether PageLines wants my business. I received a great response when I started with PageLines so hopefully someone will respond soon to our satisfaction. 

Rick

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello all,

I think I've answered these questions in about 200 topics in the past five days, but why not do it again.

Your Plus subscriptions are migrated to DMS as Framework Plus memberships no longer exist.  There is no more moderated live chat, and there's no more Plus extensions.

There are no plans to deprecate Framework at any point in the near future and we've stated repeatedly that updates will be made for security or WP upgrades for as long as possible.  If you look at what we did with PlatformPro, you'll know it took well over a year (more than 18 months actually) for us to stop supporting it.

Everyone will continue using Framework with the plugins and sections you have now.  Our store for Framework products is closed too, but you can copy a section or plugin from one installation to another without violating your license. 

There's no reason to run around panicking about what you're going to do. The answer is simple. You're going to carry on.

As for DMS, if you've paid for it, you may as well test it on a development server and give it a try.  You might be surprised. If not, try downloading the free version and try it.

Now, respectfully, can we stop the worrying? You've got an official answer.  Is everyone happy?

• batman and hpl_pl like this

#9 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2167 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hi @

, @

I apologize, I'm only  trying to help you, making a link to an "official PageLines response"

Regards

Carlos

:)

#10 navigos

navigos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Rob,

Thanks for the response and responding to this forum. I did not see an official response and with so many forums it is not easy to sift through so much chatter. I did not know that about DMS and the connection to the Framework Plus membership so thanks for the clarification. I do like what you are doing with DMS but it was not clear to me the connection DMS has to what we previously have seen. I wouldn't call it panicking or worrying and to call it that lacks the understanding that we all run businesses and we rely on these solutions to keep our business running so yes we need solid answers to our questions. This is the nature of business so don't mistake business savvy for being panicky. If I have an infrastructure that clients rely on and there is a blimp in my infrastructure my clients would accept an answer of relax, don't worry or panic we have it under control. They need answers and assurance that you have a good handle on the infrastructure and so do I. Also I have yet to demonstrate "crude" behavior or a poor attitude in any forum I have contributed to because I believe we all need to be reasonable and deal with issues rationally so I think it is somewhat frustrating that I have simply asked a few questions, challenged some of the things I see and to simply hear that I need to stop worrying/panicking does not seem to be an appropriate response for the how I engaged this forum.

Batman, btw..thank you for trying to help. To some degree you did however I think more clarification was necessary and I thank PageLines staff for officially responding.

Thanks,

Rick 

• webmktco and purple like this

#11 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2167 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hi @

No problem, "this is the life of superheroes"

:D 

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

@navigos  I assure you I wasn't referring to you in referring to behavior or anything 'negative'.  Some of the other topics have, I must admit to my own detriment, become heated, argumentative debates.

Again, not speaking about you, but some have taken the opportunity to become keyboard warriors on the rampage, forgetting that we, on the other side are not the computers they're so bravely attacking.  We're human, and when someone starts off a topic with an attack, then asks for help, my human instincts say 'Is this person kidding with this?'.  So when slapped, I slap back, and probably use a right upper cut as well. 

Everyone who has an email address on file with PageLines was notified that their DMS accounts were being migrated, more than a week before the release date. You may have missed the email and some people's email clients junked it, I think because we don't send out regular newsletters.  That's something I hope to work on in the coming months. You may want to ask for that in future, too.  It would help keep people informed, in my humble opinion.

I totally understand that people have built sites on Framework, myself included, and that one steps with trepidation when changing any infrastructure.   I'm still testing DMS and wondering when I'll be able to migrate over. It could take me months as it's one huge site with more than 250,000 posts.

Hopefully, everyone will be able to make the transition simply and easily.  Right now, everyone seems to be going through the growing pains stage.  But I think the helpful thing to do for all, is to read the documentation, as @

pointed out.  The support documentation is well done and a living document you and others can contribute to as we move along.  See the footnote at the bottom of the page at

Carlos, thank you, as always, for being a tireless and dedicated member of our PageLines Community and trying to help everyone. You do a great job!

#13 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2167 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Robert

Carlos, thank you, as always, for being a tireless and dedicated member of our PageLines Community and trying to help everyone. You do a great job!
Thanks for encouraging me @ 

!
I just try to add a grain of sand in the sea of ​​questions, in return for the help of all the "The Moderating Team" to me.
And keep learning.
;)

#14 navigos

navigos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Rob,

Thanks again I appreciate your interaction here and understand you are impacted by this as well. I would be interested in knowing how to migrate over to DMS from my current framework and would be willing to wait a few months to learn of the best practices in doing it. I have utilized some of the themes, widgets, plugins of PageLines so I have everything working exactly how I want it right now and to go through that process of tweaking it all over again without a smooth migration to DMS would be a time killer for me right now. That is what I do not get about what PageLines has done. I would be willing to pay right now for an "upgrade" from PageLines 2.4.4 to DMS but to have to figure out how to get my site the way it is working right now would tempt me to consider another solution and I would do it even if DMS was the better solution because I am looking for continuity and an organization needs continuity to stay in business long-term. So I am clearly not resolved on this but willing to watch how this unfolds in the next few months. 

btw...a notification of a DMS migration and the emails I have looked back on does not give the same impression of what I am hearing here about an entire infrastructure overhauI. If I had gotten the impression this was an overhaul I may have caught this but I was thinking you were changing the store not the Framework that I rely on. I have been part of many migrations, product changes...etc and I would have chosen a different path than PageLines has chosen in terms of notification, communication and the overall business model. As I am an adviser of business models for quite a few IT companies I would have some suggestions for how to do this differently if you decide to go down this path again. Nevertheless you decided to do it this way so I will see how it unfolds.

Thanks,

Rick

• tracsd1 likes this

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the constructive feedback. 

The migration process is detailed (as much as we have presently) here:

As I understand it, as of just a half-hour ago, the Framework store is back via the Framework Dashboard.  I can't say how it's working as I've not tested it yet.  But the products are listed there again.  If you purchase something and it doesn't install, please email hello@pagelines.com with your receipt information. 

I hope this helps and resolves any issues you or anyone else has with Framework.  Things are improving, as fast as they can.

#16 navigos

navigos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Rob,

Thanks and please forgive me for not showing more appreciation as I really do appreciate you all and all you do to help us especially in these times of change/transition. 

Thanks,

Rick

#17 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Rick, I didn't think for one moment that you were in any way unappreciative!  I'm happy to help, best I can.

#18 blueflag

blueflag

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMijas, Spain

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Rob

Thanks for your replies, though none were in answer to my own rather different situation as a completely new member with zero plugins/section downloads before the store went off line.

I was very happy to read that the store was going back online, and though it does seem to be, I need the Sections Container plugin to operate the Store and this refuses to download giving me the following error:

Fatal error!

The package could not be installed.

PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT(-10): Unable to

find End of Central Dir Record signature

Is there a solution?

In case it has any relevance to the issue, which seems to be ZIP based in someway, I am working on Apple OSX, iMac and Airbook.

If I can get into the re-opened Store and download/purchase certain sections I will be able to use Framework for my present website project and look slowly into DMS to see if we decide that is the future for us.

Thanks

Adam

#19 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Adam,

My apologies.  When many people tag on to seemingly related topics, things get out of hand.

Can someone confirm to me that I should give up on Framework 2.4.4 as we will not be able to get any of the previously available plugins?

You can continue using Framework and your investment is not wasted.  You can get the previously available plugins.  Please see

As of yesterday, the Store for Framework is working properly.  Some items may still have issues.  If you cannot install PageLines Sections by visiting Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Sections then you can download it via the 2nd link in that post above. Then, you can unzip it and install it by FTP to wp-content/plugins.  Then, browse to Dashboard > Plugins > Installed Plugins.  Find PageLines Sections and activate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PageLines Framework, DMS, Upgrade