Shortcodes within a component

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm trying to install a third party slider and display it on the front page. I want to keep the front page as "your latest posts" and not create a new page for it

Is there anyway I can embed the shortcode in a component on the front screen?

Answer: Done, I simply popped the short code within a text box component and it worked a treat =)

1 person likes this

17 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi julianyoung

It's wonderful when somebody ask and answer their own questions.

Thanks for sharing the trick with all.

;)

Posted (edited) · Report post

That was the answer that I was looking for but unfortunately its not working out like that for me. Adding the shortcode into a text box just renders the shortcode text itself. If the shortcode is in the post loop element it renders fine.

Edited by magichew

Posted · Report post

magichew

What shortcode are you using ?

Posted · Report post

magichew

What shortcode are you using ?

I'm using Birchpress Schduler short codes.

It actually doesn't just show the short code as I type it. It shows some extra text.

The short code I've put in the text box is [bp-scheduler-bookingform]. The text that appears is birchpress_shortcode_5212b58f365e9

I'd love to get to the bottom of this as this is the last thing holding up deployment of the site.

Posted · Report post

Can you try adding the shortcode to a text widget and see if it works.

Posted · Report post

Just in case it helps here is some more info about my setup and solution.

I added a Text Area Component in the Main Area of a full screen section (Not in the header or Footer)

Not on a page, this was done on the home screen where my settings are set as 'your latest posts'

The plugin I am using is WP Layer Slider

Posted · Report post

I've tried a few different variations. In a section with columns, in a one column section.

It does work with a sidebar section and a text widget but this is not the functionality I want. That sidebar would be throughout the whole site. I need to customise the shot code on every page to show the options that I need and I can't do that with a sidebar text widget.

Posted · Report post

Hi, I have reported this as a possible bug.

Posted · Report post

I'm using Birchpress Schduler short codes.

It actually doesn't just show the short code as I type it. It shows some extra text.

The short code I've put in the text box is [bp-scheduler-bookingform]. The text that appears is birchpress_shortcode_5212b58f365e9

I'd love to get to the bottom of this as this is the last thing holding up deployment of the site.

That's a bug in the shortcode. If it wasn't rendering the shortcode, what'd you see would be [bp-scheduler-bookingform] not birchpress_shortcode_5212b58f365e9

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im using Layerslider, and inserting the shortcode into a textbox in a section. Works. 

I also had Sliderpro, which worked similarly (using shortcode), but seemed to be very slow. Of note, when tried to use Layerslider, it loaded, but failed to load slides and indicated JQuery out of date. Error note suggested installing the plugin, jQuery updater. Once installed, slider works fine. 

What I am struggling with (and prob not appropriate to post here), is to adjust the padding between the slider, and both the header above (which has two columns, one which has mediabox, the other ubermenu), and the padding just below the slider.

I would say Im a beginner with CSS. It might helpful someday for someone to publish the typical classes and div's that users might first look at when customizing new installs. For instance, it appears Mediabox has height set at 200px; if used in branding or for logo, that is too big. Naively I suggest this - perhaps it (the list) is not realistic, or helpful. 

Edited by barkingsheltie

Posted · Report post

I don't know what to say. It's great that all of your short codes are working fine but mine are not. And so short codes don't 100% work in a text box section.

I'm not placing any blame (it may well be that Birchpress have to change something to work with DMS but short codes are not working in a text box for me.

As I've said, they work in the post content and in a text widget in the side bar, not in a text box section or a media box section.

Posted · Report post

Let's see if Birchpress is the cause.  Can you try the same code using this plugin to convert to shortcode?  http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-shortcodes/

Tell us the result.  Thanks.

Posted · Report post

I've added the Birchpress short code to that plug in and used the short code generated by that plugin and added it to a text widget and I have achieved the same result.

I don't know what code the short code should be adding. Perhaps I should be adding that the the My Shortcodes plug in rather than just the Birchpress short code?

Posted · Report post

It's likely your product is just not compatible Nick.  I purchased a 3rd party slider and it didn't work, also using shortcode.  Then I got another slider from WP.org and it worked fine. It's impossible for us to tell whether a slider or any plugin will definitively work.

Some developers pay attention to the latest technologies. Others, including those making premium products, just don't.  It's a shame.

Posted · Report post

Rob Do you mean me when you say Nick? Is there something that I can tell the folks at Birchpress to add into their plug in to make it compatible?

Posted · Report post

Yes and Yes.  When I asked the folks at Sevenspark to create a section for DMS for their product, Ubermenu, they downloaded the free version of DMS and followed our docs. Within 2 days we had a section.   Birchpress should do the same. They need to upgrade, I suspect, their javascript, jquery and/or ajax code to meet our standard.  Certainly by testing DMS on their own servers, they'd be able to see the problem you're experiencing, directly, and identify its cause and cure.