Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Overwriting Current Template With New Design and Then Issues...

Question

Posted · Report post

I have been at it for 13+ hours so far (thank God I work at home) but anyway, I am working on a site for a new client.  Was building different templates for different pages, etc etc.  This is probably the 5th site I have built with DMS so far and loving it.

Seems today (and this could be my brain is just fried...haha) but, for example...I have a template I created. Looked at it an hour later and hated it so when in, made changes, background, etc.  I was working on the home/landing page and wanted to have some cool scroll effects where the background is one image and and then sections of info/color, etc.  Ok, no problem there.  Got it to work and love it.  Now (this is a Woocommerce site)...when I go to a product page (single product view page), the background was appearing over the entire page.

No biggie...I went in to the settings for THAT page, changed the section background to white (base color of the site), hit Publish, refreshed it and it's right.  The main content area where the Post Loop section sits is now showing a white background, text and product image shows up, etc etc.  

Now the issue.  Since this page has a different layout and feel from the home page, I wanted to overwrite the page with the new settings I just applied (also added two widgetized areas I created with social media, etc with Custom Sidebars).  I hit "Actions" and then "Update Current Template, blah blah".

It does its thing and saves.  I then hit "Load Template" (the SAME template name I JUST overwrote with the new settings) and when it reloads, it has removed my white background I set in the LOCAL section area and it removes what I added in the widget area (even though it KEEPS the Widgetizer there, with the message "Configure this Section"...as if I hadn't done that.

Soooo...I go back, change again the things I just updated...repeat the steps above.  I make sure I hit Publish...screen refreshes and everything looks great. When I go and try to load that template again, it should reload with what I just saved, correct??

For some reason, it doesn't appear to be saving but other pages do so it got me to thinking...is this just something with the Woocommerce pages and they are interfering with what I'm doing as far as saving my local settings?  The only thing that is Global on any other pages is the background image that I was using for the purpose of having the cool Home page effect.

I did this same type of effect on my Blog and it works.  The home page has a background image for the entire area but when you click on one of my blog posts, the background stays black.  It doesn't strip away the black text area background and reveal the burnt orange wallpaper I chose (http://jbodyfit.com/blog).

I have since changed the Home page of this clients site I'm working on on my subdomain since it was causing the product pages to be unreadable.  

Anyone have this issue???  Better yet, anyone need an aspirin after reading all of that!????

(Geez...felt like therapy typing all that out!!  :phew:

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

To add, the ONLY "fix" I thought of was taking my home page and just have the header, footer and then one Wide Section area in the middle, adding the colored background I want to use and then add a bunch of sections inside that one MASTER section, making the "inside" sections that will hold all my junk have transparent backgrounds and still get the scroll effect over the colored background...since each section will be transparent.  That way, I can save that template for the Home page and not mess with any Global Background image settings (like I have been doing) but I know there has to be a different way...haha.

James

Posted · Report post

That idea I typed after my initial post won't work...duh!

Posted · Report post

HI,

I don't actually understand your issue, so I apologise before hand but could you just create a new template for your specific pages, instead of updating the current page.

Posted · Report post

Ninja

That's what I was doing but after going back, I saw two section tabs on a section and that made me think maybe that was it. I didn't see anything in the Docs but I already knew about Global and Local tabs but had never seen this ("Section Options - TYPE".......Screenshot attached)

I went and updated BOTH areas with the same settings (same uploaded background image, etc) and that is when it finally seem to keep my changes and not remove them with global defaults...even though the section areas are not in the global area. Can you explain this "Section Options - TYPE" further or point me to the docs where it's located?  Have no problem reading up on it but I couldn't find it.

Posted · Report post

As far as I am aware, Type is related to the Post Type.

For example, WooCommerce uses Custom Post Types, so editing a Type tab on a WooCommerce page, should edit the posts types used by WooCommerce, but wont effect your Posts type if that makes sense lol.

Editing your Posts template Type tab will only effect your Posts templates and not WooCommerce. Its actually quite difficult to explain but hopefully you understand what I wrote :D