• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason M

Jason M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, the powers that be have opted to discontinue the store for Framework. No products will be for sale for Framework via the Store (website) or via the Dashboard. 

I just received a response that the Pagelines Store for Framework is officially gone.  The solution:

You can then download the zip files for each of the free products. You can install them manually, in the folders where they belong.  Do this via FTP, as some WordPress upload methods will not install these products in the correct locations.

This is better than nothing, but it makes it hard for me when I'm doing quick work for someone and I do not have all the information to access their host to FTP files.  Often, I work with people that are not tech savvy and tracking down the host info is a pain and delays my work.

For example, I'm helping a local non-profit on a website that had the 2012 Wordpress theme.  I switched them to Pagelines Framework right around the time when the store stopped working -- no mention of it not working before I made the change.

I needed to install the sections section and the customize plugin to build the site as I had mocked it up.  All I had was their Wordpress login info to get started.

I'd like to add that I've waited for well over a week for the store problem to be resolved because the people I am building the site for don't know anything about their website host.  Now, the method of communicating that the store is down for good comes from a response to a post I made several days ago!!!

If the store is not going to be available anymore, please consider making it possible to install the sections section and the customize plugin from Wordpress as other plugins can be installed from there.  This is the less than optimal, but it seems like a fair solution for customers that paid for Framework knowing they could use it to build sites forever.  This was how I justified the price!!!

Don't abandon a major product and leave us with a clunky work-around!  Also, please communicate to current customers instead of making us dig through forums to figure out what is going on.  I understand you are busy, but you are also a business.

Please consider this request from the perspective of customers that paid for products already.  There would be no DMS if you didn't have people buying your earlier products!

Btw, I have spoken very highly to clients and others about Framework.  DMS might be better, but I'm locked into Framework with many customers and I'm happy with product.

Cheers,

Jason

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Jason,  this topic was opened July 28, just a few days after DMS was released and it was linked in over 60 other topics. I'm sorry you missed it. http://forum.pagelin...e-free-products

I would like to clarify one comment.  You said

This is the less than optimal, but it seems like a fair solution for customers that paid for Framework knowing they could use it to build sites forever.

The term forever is a misnomer.  We offered lifetime support for the product and Framework has not reached its End of Life. I doubt that it will in the next 12 months or so as more than 30,000 people have built sites on it.  While many are migrating to DMS, not all will or can easily, including me. (My site has more than 250,000 posts, 10,000 pages and half million images. To say it would be a challenge is an understatement.)  Many have mistaken the word lifetime to mean their lifetime.  I wish any product I bought would last till I'm 90, and I don't have that far to go! :D

Given the massive volume of issues we're dealing with presently, posting blog topics isn't as easy as one might think.  I'm trying, in vain it seems, to cope with many irate people who are complaining for the sake of complaint, taking valuable time away from answering valid support issues. My apologies if we haven't been as communicative as possible.  I'm sure that will sort itself out in time.  Meanwhile the forum is our primary place of notice.  Check for pinned posts at the top of the DMS Support and Technical Support forums.  That's where I post news as I get it.

#3 glennyboy

glennyboy

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

And Pagelines gave the impression that Pagelines Framework would still be supported. This hardly seems to be the case, Very disappointing and as was previosuly discussed on the Blog on DMS launch the very short product lifecycle seems to be coming to an abrupt end.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

@glennyboy  Framework is still supported.  It's still functional.  The Framework Store has been fixed and is now working, though not all products are fixed yet, but most are. 

I don't know why people think Framework is going to last till the end of time or end of their lifetimes.  It wouldn't be here when you're 90, but all software lasts its own lifetime.  Framework is not in its infancy, but it's sure not in its old age.  Let's call it just ripe.  So like any good cook, we're not going to throw away anything that's perfectly ripe. 

There's no reason to stop building websites on Framework.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Since the store is now reopened, I'm closing this topic as resolved.