Photo
- - - - -

Framework to DMS

updates

Best Answer dsolano , 08 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

It worked this morning.  It allowed me to activate.  It wasn't doing it last night.  Thank you.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kapow

kapow

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Firstly, I am a big fan of Pagelines and I am behind you guys 100%. I am also very happy to see new and exciting products like DMS.

However, I have just recently completed a website on PL Framework, after countless hours/days/months, and finally I am happy with it. Finallly. I am not a coder. I do it as a means to a commercial end. The few skills I have, have been hard to earn. Now, it seems i have to pretty much start over. I hope you can imagine how distressing that thought is.

Please could you tell me, in plain language, what now happens with sites built with PL framework. Will they gradually just fall apart as you guys are now focused on  DMS? Am i now obliged to update/switch to DMS, and pray that my site doesnt crumble and I lose all my followers? What are my options?

• jwnichols3 likes this

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

First, nothing will happen to your new Framework-based website.  You won't be able to buy new sections, plugins or child themes for it, but if you've already completed it, there should be no issues. 

You don't have to purchase DMS or convert the site. 

As for the site gradually falling apart, well, all websites do that.  Not because of PageLines, but because WordPress updates and plugin developers don't keep up-to-date.  So proper maintenance is important.  I can't guaranty that your site will remain in pristine condition forever.  But you should be good until at least WordPress 4.0 (3.6 was just released).

If I may suggest.... create a development site, download DMS (it's free) and test it out.  You won't have the things you know an like, such as sliders and such, but you can use 3rd party plugins for those.  Test it, see how it works.  Read our docs and particularly

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This way, when you're ready to migrate,  you can do it, confidently.

#3 kapow

kapow

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for your reply, Rob. It does clarify things for me.

I am a little dissappointed though.

Imagine a car manufacturer saying, ¨ We have built this new model. So if the car you bought is not our latest version, and it breaks down, thats tough luck, you are on your own.¨

The reason i use Pagelines is because i dont have the know-how of maintaining a site. Now, i am sure that if i switch to DMS, I will find its a great product, and I will learn how to use it and design for it...but then , I fear, a couple years down the line, it will be the same thing from PL, ¨Sorry, we have a new product now...DMS wont work much longer¨ . 

Would it not be better to carry out some ´maintenance´ on Framework? At least enough to keep it functional. Perhaps wishful thinking. Not feasible. But it would be nice.

Im going to have to go around now and switch 6 different sites from Framework to DMS. I predict countless hours of frustration and despair as these change overs never really go according to plan do they.

Maybe time for me to give up on themes/platforms altogether and hand over to the real coders.

#4 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I installed DMS Pro on a Frameworks site but cannot activate the page because the DMS tool bar does not come up and I cannot follow the instructions that say:  Now copy and paste your License Key into DMS Toolbar → Account → Your Account

What do I do? 

#5 dsolano

dsolano

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:37 PM   Best Answer

It worked this morning.  It allowed me to activate.  It wasn't doing it last night.  Thank you.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Whatever we did, you're welcome! :D

I suspect though that the cache plugin you use cleared itself overnight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: updates