Buddypress Problems: Profile Page Not Found

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone!

Being more of a designer than a coder, I am absolutely loving this framework.  However, there's one big rub....I'm having problems with Buddypress!  The single member Profile page is turning up as a 404!

I'm running DMS and the Academy Child Theme.  Wordpress 3.6.

And yes I already did all of the basic troubleshooting things:

Deactivating all other plugins

Testing to see if it works in the standard BP Default Theme (it does)

Testing it in DMS without the child theme (still doesn't work)

Tried the whole configuration out on a completely new install (still not working)

Tried making everything was upgraded.

SOOOO what I've probably got here is a conflict between the framework hierarchy and the BP hierarchy, but I just don't have enough PHP and BP knowledge to figure it out myself.  Help!

To get the ball rolling, here is the BP 1.8 Documentation on template hierarchy:  http://codex.buddypress.org/developer/theme-development/template-hierarchy/

Perhaps someone smarter than me can make sense of it.

36 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I am also seeing this issue! Any help on the matter would be amazing

Posted · Report post

Go to Settings > Permalinks and change the permalink settings to one with the month and postname (I think that's it, on my iPad right now).  Save and then take a look. Problem should be gone. After that, I believe you can modify the Permalinks settings again as you see fit.

Posted · Report post

Same issue here: all BuddyPress links broken/404, except the 6 main pages of course (Members, Activity,..) ;)

And whatever the permalinks settings except default, since BuddyPress requires “Pretty Permalinks”.

dawsonbarber What do you mean exactly by "After that, I believe you can modify the Permalinks settings again as you see fit."?

Posted · Report post

Still not working.  I've tried a number of permalink variations.  The initial one I used one /%category%/%postname%  but I did try switching it over to month/postname etc.

I'm not sure if it's actually a permalink problem or the way buddypress integrates it's template files with the theme.

Does anyone have a site with DMS that's actually working with Buddypress?

Also, does anyone have a lot of knowledge of how Buddypress works and know some ways to debug it?

Posted · Report post

It appears that I was a little premature in offering up a "solution" that worked for me.

I've only got three pages working and can't create user groups (404 error).

Erwan - I had originally managed to "fix" the 404 error problem by resaving Permalinks as Month/Postname. Then I was able to resave them as just Postname after I confirmed that the 404 errors (for some of the pages) had been dealt with.

Bottom line: BuddyPress does not appear to be working at this point.

Posted · Report post

I'm also having this issue. Main BP pages (Activity, Groups, Members, etc.) work. All the sublevel pages (user profiles, groups, forum topics, etc.) 404.

Posted · Report post

Also having this problem too. Really gutted, love DMS - but still no response from either Buddypress or Pagelines in over a week across several posts both here and there... :-(

Posted · Report post

Yup, same issue here.

Posted · Report post

First, I'm also using BuddyPress/bbPress in DMS and haven't had a chance to test this out. My apologies.

BuddyPress  changed considerably with 1.8 and doesn't use the old system anymore.  So if there's a profile page, you should have to either create one or, you have to find it in BuddyPress, not DMS.  When you find it or create it, then you should be able to view  it in DMS and edit it.

However, if the page isn't showing for some reason or is delivering a 404 in DMS, try it in Twenty-Twelve or the new Twenty-Thirteen and copy the URL. If it shows there, then go back to DMS, paste the URL and see if it comes up a 404 again.

I'm going to try this tonight.

Posted · Report post

First, I'm also using BuddyPress/bbPress in DMS and haven't had a chance to test this out. My apologies.

BuddyPress  changed considerably with 1.8 and doesn't use the old system anymore.  So if there's a profile page, you should have to either create one or, you have to find it in BuddyPress, not DMS.  When you find it or create it, then you should be able to view  it in DMS and edit it.

However, if the page isn't showing for some reason or is delivering a 404 in DMS, try it in Twenty-Twelve or the new Twenty-Thirteen and copy the URL. If it shows there, then go back to DMS, paste the URL and see if it comes up a 404 again.

I'm going to try this tonight.

Quickly: for me, URLs work with Twenty Thirteen or BP default theme (and even with last Pagelines v.1. on Wordpress.org repo, btw). No need no create a profile page for these themes: the BP members templating & loop works out of the box, as intended i.e. without any dedicated "single" / "profile" page, which would break BP anyway.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Question, around Buddy Press as well, Im getting confused on the diff between Buddy press and bbPress, what is the best choice to use, I see comments of people using them together as well ? 

Thoughts appreciated, sorry not intended to derail this topic just a side step.

Edited by j powers

Posted · Report post

Question, around Buddy Press as well, Im getting confused on the diff between Buddy press and bbPress, what is the best choice to use, I see comments of people using them together as well ? 

Thoughts appreciated, sorry not intended to derail this topic just a side step.

Hi J powers... as you already stated your question is not about the topic... anyway here's a quick answer:

bbpress is a plugin to setup and mantain a forum platform

So forums/topics/replies ...

buddypress is a plugin to setup and mantain a virtual community

So users/groups/friendships/followers ...

Previously buddypress had its own forums system that was retired (As you easily find installing buddypress and navigating through its components "BuddyPress Forums are retired. Use bbPress.")

As you can argue it's easy to end using both this plugins: buddypress lets you manage your users... even with advanced profiles... group creation... and then with bbpress you let your website users talk about their interests through forums...

Hope this answer could be sufficient to you... at least to scratch the surface of the issue.

Anyway I suggest to have some good reads online on this topic just search "bbpress vs buddypress" on google and you will find tons of interesting materials!

Best regards

Carlo

Posted · Report post

Thanks Carlo, definitely need to do more reading.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys, I hope this helps. I have just posted this answer in http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/29213-dms-and-plugin-conflict-buddypress-views/

It might be repetitive but I guess this answers some of the questions here. I had the same problem expressed above. Now my buddypress and bbpress seems to be working alright. I need to test still BBpress further more since I still don't have any topic.

I have just did the following and hope this can be helpful.

I am using Flyte child theme. Many of this themes seems that doesn't have the Content/PostLoop section. it seems that that is why we get the 404 page.

I have:

1. wordpress multisite

2. new wordpress installation

3. I don't have the buddypress template pack

4. I have the Buddypress 1.8.1 and BBpress   2.3.2

What I did:

1. in editing mode or logged in as admin I when to http://domain.com/members/ ...of course this worked before...

2. then I click any of the members. The first one would be the one who is logged in

3. you will have blank page. Then go to ADD SECTIONS  in DMS

4. select: Content/PostLoop section and drag it to "Template" area. 

now I can see my subpages: profile, friends, etc

I hope this helps

Luis

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

@larrojas

Nice trick  ;) ! I allowed me a break in debugging & digging in PHP & queries, very good news  :)

1. Did you get rid of the 404 "misc section" still showing?

2. What's the scope of the new template (i.e. to how many pages - "sub pages" / links did you have to apply it)?

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

Luis - fantastic. Thanks so much for this, worked a dream1

Erwan - I did as Luis suggested on one Members subpage / profile page. I did need to manually delete the 404 section. It updated the template corrects location that is used to generate individual profile pages - so I only had to do it once and it resolved the issue for all profiles.

Cheers,

Iain.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

I do the same as Iain... just have to say that doing this the 404 error page won't show anymore... it simply report  a "postloop" error... but not a 404 error...

To me it's ok... at least for now... let's have some deeper analysis!

bye

good weekend to all!

Posted · Report post

I'm one step worse. I hadn't fully deployed buddypress on DMS until this morning. I had not run into the 404 glitch until I started working more with BP.

I get pages that look like there is no CSS when viewing the pages in Chrome and logged in as admin. I also get 404'd on some pages.

I'd link to the site, but you'd see a somewhat valid page [no sidebars, valid display].

When I'm logged out, the site displays properly.

Posted · Report post

(...)

it simply report  a "postloop" error... but not a 404 error...

(...)

Hi carletto0282,

Hmmm... Could you explain further "report a postloop error" and/or provide a screenshot?

Is a debug notice (whatever the tool you use) or does it show up in a DMS section?

Posted · Report post

I'm one step worse. I hadn't fully deployed buddypress on DMS until this morning. I had not run into the 404 glitch until I started working more with BP.

I get pages that look like there is no CSS when viewing the pages in Chrome and logged in as admin. I also get 404'd on some pages.

I'd link to the site, but you'd see a somewhat valid page [no sidebars, valid display].

When I'm logged out, the site displays properly.

Hi onlinetracker,

Would be glad to help you, but it's hard to understand the exact issue(s) here: any screenshots?

Are you for instance saying your BuddyPress content is correctly displayed only once logged out 
:blink:?

Posted · Report post

Hi onlinetracker,

Would be glad to help you, but it's hard to understand the exact issue(s) here: any screenshots?

Are you for instance saying your BuddyPress content is correctly displayed only once logged out 
:blink:?

Yes. Exactly that. Here is an IMGUR album : imgur.com/a/kZd95

The first one is trying to create a group in Firefox (logged in as Admin), generates a 404.

If I just go to the "groups" page, it will display properly, again in Firefox.

The second one is just a portion of the "groups" page as viewed as admin logged in via Chrome. It has no CSS.

I've disabled all plugins except Buddypress and it hasn't solve anything.

The third one is viewing the page logged out in Safari, it displays properly logged in as Admin in Safari, but trying to create a group creates a 404.

edit: correction -> http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28714-buddypress-problems-profile-page-not-found/#entry172167

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

here are some screenshots http://imgur.com/a/RtlTw

The first one is the members page (logged in / logged out ... no difference), the second screenshot is what I called a "postloop" error (and I get it while logged out I try to find an unextisting page).

When I looked for the same page but logged in I get a 404 error page as you can see in the third shot.

Hope these shots could help

Bye

Carlo

Posted · Report post

Okay, so this is not a BuddyPress 1.8.x problem because all of the subordinate pages are working just fine logged in and out in 2013 and the BP basic theme. This only happens when I log into DMS or when DMS is the template and I go to any page that is a redirect/template/third level page, I'm really not sure of the terminology there.

So, for instance... if you go to domain.com/members/, everything is fine, but if you click on a user name, the profile is 404. If i am logged in, in my instance, the CSS is gone as well. Again, it looks perfect in 2013 and it never worked for me for the Pagelines Framework either which is why I never used Buddypress.

The moment I switch to 2013, I can do everything in Buddypress. I flip the switch to DMS and it all falls apart on the BuddyPress side.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi guys, I hope this helps. I have just posted this answer in http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/29213-dms-and-plugin-conflict-buddypress-views/

It might be repetitive but I guess this answers some of the questions here. I had the same problem expressed above. Now my buddypress and bbpress seems to be working alright. I need to test still BBpress further more since I still don't have any topic.

I have just did the following and hope this can be helpful.

I am using Flyte child theme. Many of this themes seems that doesn't have the Content/PostLoop section. it seems that that is why we get the 404 page.

I have:

1. wordpress multisite

2. new wordpress installation

3. I don't have the buddypress template pack

4. I have the Buddypress 1.8.1 and BBpress   2.3.2

What I did:

1. in editing mode or logged in as admin I when to http://domain.com/members/ ...of course this worked before...

2. then I click any of the members. The first one would be the one who is logged in

3. you will have blank page. Then go to ADD SECTIONS  in DMS

4. select: Content/PostLoop section and drag it to "Template" area. 

now I can see my subpages: profile, friends, etc

I hope this helps

Luis

Hi larrojas,

Thanks for the info. I'm also using buddypress and bbpress. New to DMS so just getting the hang of the things in this format.

What I did to get rid of the 404 errors on the individual members page was just go to any member while I was in edit mode. Then I went to templates and loaded the default template. After that, all the user profiles showed up ok.

Edited by Wario

Posted · Report post

I added the content postloop and it works great in chrome. All the pages I had 404's on are now working correctly in chrome. As soon as I try it on firefox or safari, I get the same 404 pages.

bridgescharter.org/bridges1