Photo
Grid Shortcodes

Grid Shortcodes discontinued?

Best Answer Evan Mattson , 30 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Great!  (I hope so because I tested it with your code!)

Your extra code there really shouldn't be necessary.  Have you tried it without?  I took this into consideration when developing the plugin.  The plugin shortcodes are not your average shortcodes, so I'm not even sure the filter priority change is going to make a difference.

The empty <p style="display:none;"></p> IS the fix.  It's essentially tricking wpautop to wrap the following first block of code in a paragraph if necessary. The element is not displayed of course and is only at the beginning of each spanX tag.

Glad to know all is good now!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi. Is Grid Shortcodes discontinued? I ran an update to 1.2.1 in my Store, but that resulted in errors on my website pages. Consequently, I restored version 1.2. I no longer see the plug-in in the store on the PL site, making me wonder if you've pulled it.

Mostly just curious at this point, but knowing more about the plug-in's future will help me map out how I'm setting up pages with HTML-fearing authors in mind.

Thanks!

#2 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

No it's not discontinued!

I see that it does not appear to be showing on the website as well, I'll need to contact them about it.

1.2.1 is the DMS ready release.  What were the errors you were seeing?

#3 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi, Evan. Glad to know it's not. I assume from your comment that it's DMS-only -- I get an error on trying to run the updater. "Fatal Error! The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature." It's also missing from the PL website store.

I may have to not use it anyhow, as I get a consistent issue where the first para block in a [span] block isn't wrapped in a P tag, and it's followed by a blank P/CloseP line. If I could get beyond that, it makes the website updates a lot simpler for my editors.

Thanks for the fast response.

#4 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

If you haven't seen it already, it's back on the store: http://www.pagelines...rid-shortcodes/

About your issue..  can you give me some code to replicate that with so I can see what you're referring to?

#5 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sure. To give you background, I'm running PL 2.4.4 with a child theme, on WordPress 3.6. Grid Shortcodes version 1.2 (since I'm not using DMS until the bug work out :)

When I add grids to my Pages using plain Bootstrap divs, all's good. I've tried with and without pl_raw shortcode (with it is stripping ALL autop), all to no avail. You'll see that in the published page, the first line of copy after the div isn't enclosed within a P tag.

Here's a snippet of what I've got in the Page editor:

<h1>Leverage Advanced Technology to Simplify Adherence</h1>
[row]
[span8]

11% of Americans take more than five meds a day, and fewer than 50% of them take their meds as prescribed. Helping your patients know what to take next — and when to take it — is an ideal way to help patients who takes multiple medications regularly, such as independent seniors, the chronically ill, frequent travelers and children at school or camp.
<h3>Parata PASS<sup>TM</sup> (Patient Adherence Strip System)</h3>
With Parata PASS, you make it easy for patients to take the right medications at the right time, every time. Prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and vitamins can be packaged together, organized by day and time of dose in clear, plastic packets.

Here's what I get on my published page (pulled from Firebug):

<h1>Leverage Advanced Technology to Simplify Adherence</h1>

<div class="row">
<div class="span8">
11% of Americans take more than five meds a day, and fewer than 50% of them take their meds as prescribed. Helping your patients know what to take next — and when to take it — is an ideal way to help patients who takes multiple medications regularly, such as independent seniors, the chronically ill, frequent travelers and children at school or camp.
<p></p>
<h3>
Parata PASS
<sup>TM</sup>
(Patient Adherence Strip System)
</h3>
<p>With Parata PASS, you make it easy for patients to take the right medications at the right time, every time. Prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and vitamins can be packaged together, organized by day and time of dose in clear, plastic packets.</p>

I've tried some wpautop filters with no luck. Need more info or code samples? Many thanks for looking into it.

Tim

#6 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

I see what you mean.  Could you provide the GS code for the whole grid you are doing there?  You can just drop it in a paste.pagelines.com and post the url.

I think the problem has to do with wpautop but I'll see if there is something that can be done about it.

#7 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hi, Evan. Here's the link for the paste:  http://paste.pagelines.com/8d2

I included everything that I've got in the edit window.

In addition, I've done another paste with both wpautop fixes that I'd found (neither seems to do the trick -- one is commented out now, I've tried swapping which one is active, and neither active):  http://paste.pagelines.com/2sj

#8 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hey @mckdesign,

Just wanted to let you know that I just pushed an update for Grid Shortcodes (1.2.2) that I think will take care of this :)

Let me know what happens!

#9 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hi, Evan. Thanks for the update.

I refreshed my store but it's still showing 1.2.1 -- does it take a while to propagate? Or do I need to manually DL and install (or is it detecting that I'm not on DMS?)

#10 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

It may be due to a bug that has been found in the auto-update system.  Although that fix is not included in the latest version yet, it will be in 1.0.3.

I have verified that the downloaded package for GS is the new version, so if you do a manual upgrade, you'll get the latest.

I would just deactivate and delete the installed GS and reinstall through DMS - you should get 1.2.2!

#11 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Much better, Evan. Thanks! I combine that with

// Prevents Shortcodes from adding blank P tags
remove_filter( 'the_content', 'wpautop' );
add_filter( 'the_content', 'wpautop' , 99);

and it's working. It does add an empty P with a display style of none, but at least all my paragraph text is wrapped with P tags now. Thanks again!

#12 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:35 PM   Best Answer

Great!  (I hope so because I tested it with your code!)

Your extra code there really shouldn't be necessary.  Have you tried it without?  I took this into consideration when developing the plugin.  The plugin shortcodes are not your average shortcodes, so I'm not even sure the filter priority change is going to make a difference.

The empty <p style="display:none;"></p> IS the fix.  It's essentially tricking wpautop to wrap the following first block of code in a paragraph if necessary. The element is not displayed of course and is only at the beginning of each spanX tag.

Glad to know all is good now!

#13 mckdesign

mckdesign

Advanced Member

• Members

• 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hey, Evan. To follow up and close this out, all's good. I figured out a workaround with my CSS to target nth-child, so I'm set. Thanks so much for keeping on this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grid Shortcodes