Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

jQuery blown up front end editor

Question

Posted · Report post

So I have been trying to add a simple bit of jQuery into the page, it needs to go at the bottom of the body and not the header.

I initially added it to the custom code (header) section but that locked up the front end editor. I then found that you can remove it by going to the dashboard/pagelines/DMS Tools/DMS Header Scripts Fallback. I removed it and then the editor worked again.

I then tried adding a textbox to the footer and adding the code, now the editor is fully locked and I cannot do anything. I'm using Nicks base theme V1.2 and this is the simple bit of code I entered:

<script>
        jQuery(document).ready(function() {
            jQuery("#portfolio-list").filterable();
        });
</script>

Any ideas how to fix this other than making a child theme again and also how woul i go about adding this bit of jQuery onto a page BOT in the header?

Cheers

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

So after deleting the child theme and reactivating DMS, the problem was still there. I then deleted DMS completely and reinstalled but the issue of not having the front end editor is still there. What next?

Posted · Report post

I managed to fix this by visiting the default set up "Sample Page", the editor was now working so I used the "Undo all" option and saved. Then went back to the homepage and the editor was working again.

I guess I should add the jquery to the footer.php and avoid adding any into the page.

Posted · Report post

No you shouldn't edit core files, by doing so, you void all support and will most likely break DMS. I recommend you use a hook - http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks
pagelines_before_footer

Posted · Report post

footer.php in the child theme I created not the core files. Hence me creating a child theme to not mess with the core files.

Posted · Report post

If it's your own child theme, you can still break DMS by adding that to the footer.php of child theme.  Danny's correct. A hook would be much more appropriate in the child theme's functions.php.  That's what it's there for.

Posted · Report post

It's all sorted, you can close this.

Posted · Report post

Actually maybe its a good thing this question is not closed because I have the same issue again. I followed your advice on using the hooks and created this in functions.php:

/*--- ADD JQUERY TO FOOTER ---*/
function filterable() {
    if (is_front_page()) {
    echo '<script>
        });
</script>';
    }
}
add_action('wp_footer', 'filterable');

Am I doing this incorrectly? Its adding the script to the footer and working but again its making the visual editor stop working..

Posted · Report post

I forgot to add that I'm also enqueing the script before hand:

/*--- ENQUEUE SCRIPTS ---*/
function enqueue_filterable() {
if (is_front_page()) {
wp_register_script( 'filterable', esc_url( trailingslashit( get_stylesheet_directory_uri() ) . 'js/filterable.js' ), array(), false, false );
wp_enqueue_script( 'filterable' );}
}  
add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_filterable');

Posted · Report post

So to advance on my previous problems/questions I have added:

/*--- ADD JQUERY TO FOOTER ---*/
function filterable() {
    if (is_front_page()) {
    echo '<script>
        });
</script>';
    }
}
add_action('pagelines_before_footer', 'filterable');

Why didn't I look at the "pagelines_before_footer" bit you mentioned earlier.....

I'm not sure if this is still the correct way to do it but anyway It all seems to be working nice now.

Is there a page/doc/list anywhere of the available pagelines hooks? The current docs link is very minimal and there was no mention of the "pagelines_before_footer" hook in those docs so I would never have worked that out.

Thanks for the help

Stuart

P.S I wish there was an EDIT post option in here so that I dont have to keep adding more and more.