Question

Posted · Report post

Are the plugins that we purchased for the old framework going to be grandfathered into our account or are you guys asking us to purchase all of these plugins again (such as business branding, latest posts, etc)?

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Posted · Report post

no kidding. I've bought a ton of plugins and some were pretty buggy but the developer would get fixed from time to time.

that'd be a real bummer if we're expected to rebuy from scratch. especially how this is all going.

personally I want to buy DepthCharge but I've lost confidence in the store and fear it won't be assigned to my account and I'll spend 2 weeks with tech support.

Posted · Report post

imagineutopia

i've made a few purchases via the store and they were assigned to my account no problems at all.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

JaffaDave Yes, but did you get any of the plugins that you purchased for the former pagelines framework added to your account and made DMS compatible (like the new business branding, latest posts, etc?).  I think that is what we are all wondering...if these plugins that we purchased for the old framework that no longer work with DMS are going to be updated to the DMS platform and grandfathered into our account or if they are going to make us purchase them again for DMS.  That would be pretty bad business but nothing would surprise me with pagelines these days unfortunately. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

As a third party developer, all I can say is what I've done on my part. All of my products, were updated for DMS by August 24th. Most of the other developers, also had their products updated by then as well. What I can also say, is that for a fact, you will not have to repurchase any of those add-ons. The rest is unfortunately out of my hands. :(

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

lemonstripe sorry i can't answer that question, i didn't purchase anything for PageLines. Only purchased recently from Nick for DMS and everything there has been fine. Sorry

Posted · Report post

I'm also a Store Developer and have upgraded both Business Branding and Accordions for DMS. I upgraded them rather than create new products for DMS so people who had purchased them for Pagelines v2 won't have to repurchase them for DMS.

My understanding is that Pagelines is working on creating the download links in Launchpad so you can use those sections with DMS. Unfortunately that hasn't been completed yet and I don't have an ETA for you.

As we know more information we will let you know.

Ellen

Posted · Report post

Ellen's correct, but let me add that because some sections and plugins were developed by other 3rd party developers, we have no control over their ability to, or desire to upgrade to DMS.  Complicating things, many were written with other, older versions of code that can't upgrade easily to the new systems (which are quite advanced) that DMS uses.

So, to answer the general thrust of this topic, yes and no.  We're trying to get everything updated.  Can we promise it will all be done? No.  So I'd rather not give you false expectations or promises we can't keep. 

If you've bought them and they're updated to DMS, you will not have to repurchase them.  But remember, our store is only a gateway for products by third party developers.  If one does a major upgrade, he or she has the right to sell it and not offer it free.  We're working to prevent that, but again, I can't guaranty it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Let me first say that I love the PageLines Framework and am liking DMS. My clients depend on it. So does my livelihood. 

My clients loved PageLines Framework until the updates, plus extensions, and store functionality stopped working. While some customers have been jerks, I and many others have been extraordinarily patient. I know PL folks have been working very hard. So am I, trying to hang on to my clients.

Here's a summary of the most pressing problems.

Sections and plugins I've already purchased under PageLines, but that have been updated for DMS, aren't showing that I've purchased them when I'm in DMS. So I have to go into Launchpad, download the plugins that I've purchased that are DMS-ready and manually move them into place. The 'store' recognizes that I have the sections available to use; however, DMS shows that I haven't purchased them.

Unless I want to repurchase items I've already purchased (hundreds of dollars worth) I can't use the store as designed in DMS. Nor can I use the PageLines Framework store. Any new installation and accompanying sections has to be done manually. Clients can't perform PageLines Dashboard updates (a couple have their own PageLines accounts).

Yes, I can take care of this manually; however, it's a PITA for every site that needs to be upgraded.  I realize things went awry during the launch, but it's been almost a month now. This should be sorted out already. Instead of the smooth store/updates workflow we had five weeks ago, we have a half-broken mess.

I like the previous iteration of PageLines Framework and am getting to know and liking DMS. Like many of you, particularly PL developers, I have a lot invested in this platform. So do my clients.

Please let us move beyond hacky workarounds. I have three requests that seem reasonable:

1. Please apply our purchase history to the DMS store.

2. For the love of freaking Cthulhu, restore the PageLines Framework store and updates functionality.(*)

3. I'm happy to see that I've been grandfathered into DMS as promised for my Developer Plus and am being billed $19 a month (thank you for discounting us upgraders)...except that I have still not been refunded the $288 I paid for DMS at launch. I requested it via hello@pagelines.com a couple of weeks ago, but y'all were very understandably doing triage. Could you refund the $288 to ThumbsWare? It was paid via PayPal.

I'm a fan of PageLines work. I'm looking forward to the evolution of DMS.

/rant on/

*My understanding - and correct me if I am wrong - is that nuking the PageLines Framework store was planned obsolescence as part of the DMS launch.

If that's true, then that is akin to immediately halting Windows Updates for Windows 7 at the launch of Windows 8. You do not break systems used in production. Nobody is going to migrate dozens of installations to a brand new platform without considerable testing, planning, and the ability to roll back.

Please, pretty please with sugar, whipped cream, and a cherry on top, restore the PageLines Framework dashboard functionality for updates, plus extensions, account, and the store. I don't need a workaround, rather I need the PageLines Framework dashboard to function.

/rant off/

I'm also a Store Developer and have upgraded both Business Branding and Accordions for DMS. I upgraded them rather than create new products for DMS so people who had purchased them for Pagelines v2 won't have to repurchase them for DMS.

My understanding is that Pagelines is working on creating the download links in Launchpad so you can use those sections with DMS. Unfortunately that hasn't been completed yet and I don't have an ETA for you.

As we know more information we will let you know.

Ellen

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

@ThumbsWare   Check the Framework Store at Dashboard > PageLines > Store and you'll be surprised to find that most of the products now work.  A few are still being updated (speaking of those by our team) such as Action Map and Hooker.  Plus extensions are still available and WORK.

I have promised everyone we're working to get things fixed and by gosh, we are! :D

You don't have to worry about Framework and your rant was understandable. Pay attention to the top of the DMS and Technical Support forums where I post updates.