Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trackbacks/Pingbacks don't show up

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi! It would seem DMS doesn't show trackbacks/pingbacks among a post's comments, even though it counts them. For example, a post might have two comments and two trackbacks, but DMS only shows the two comments, while also saying the post has four responses. That could confuse visitors. Any way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Ok, will do.

Posted · Report post

Candidly,  I don't recall my Framework posts showing pingbacks and trackbacks.

Posted · Report post

So how can I fix this until an update of DMS is released? I assume it's a bug.

Posted · Report post

I don't think it's a bug.  I do recall that the trackbacks and pingbacks display in the admin area when reviewing comments, but as for displaying in the list, I've never seen that happen. 

Go to Dashboard > Settings > Discussion.  See if Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks)  is checked.

See https://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_Discussion_Screen

Posted · Report post

It's been almost a week since I started this thread and I'm sure there's a very simple solution to this. Someone? Help?

Posted · Report post

HI,

Can you provide a link to the page, where Trackbacks/Pingbacks are being counted but not displaying please. If this is an issue, I will report it for you.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

When you make a link in WordPress, from one article to another, it's an internal ping or trackback.  That will register a number in the way WP delivers the number of comments.  We do not control that.  It is a WordPress issue that is well known, and long discussed. You did not reply to my earlier answer but said many hours later that you were still waiting for reply.  Did you follow the instructions I provided?

Posted · Report post

Danny any news?

Posted · Report post

hello?

Posted · Report post

No news.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well that's nice.

I went to someone who understands basic English and gave them the exact same simple and straight-forward description of the issue as in the first post here from two weeks ago. They looked through the DMS files and a little over a minute later they gave me the solution. I literally had to change just one word in comments.php. I'd post the solution here, but I've done that before in another topic and Rob told me I shouldn't do that and gave me the impression that it's more important to you guys that users don't edit "core files" than helping them with problems DMS might be causing, even if it involves just slight modifications. He also said I shouldn't even inform others about how it can be done, without implying they should do it. He suggested people shouldn't even have access to that information, despite the fact that it's everyone's decision if they risk using it or not. I believe it's SO important to you that users don't edit "core files" that you would go so far as to act dumb or even mislead users into thinking that something can't be done either at all or by editing DMS files, like Rob did with me on the topic mentioned earlier, where I proved him wrong.

Thanks for all your help, you can close this topic.

Edited by ovidiuav

Posted · Report post

ovidiuav

Now let's get this straight.  Changing code in core files is a violation of the license you hold.  Editing core files violates that license and I'm supposed to stop you from getting further assistance.  I did not do that because you obviously didn't know that and didn't realize the implications involved. You risk crashing your site when editing core files, not to mention all your work would be overwritten with the next update. 

So, by telling others to violate their licenses and make changes that would be overwritten or break sites you were potentially harming others.  Thus my position was correct. You should not tell people how to, or that they should edit core files unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences of crashed sites and lost work.  Shouldn't you provide the support for them when that happens? I think so, since you're recommending something inappropriate. This is why I told you never to tell people to edit core files, as I've told others in this forum for years.

In regard to this topic, Danny was asking extremely busy developers for an update and had no news or he'd have posted it here.  I checked and saw nothing posted by the developers and you became upset by my answer "No news."

I cannot make those people do things faster, and nor can Danny. 

We give you the best possible advice as fast as we can and as soon as we get responses from developers.  I'm sorry if you were unable to get the answer you hoped for and that our responsiveness was slow.

Posted · Report post

I know the risks involved and I take them because I make backups and I'm careful and I'm not just randomly editing those files, I know what I'm doing and I know the modifications get overwritten when updating, I've got it covered.

Also, I never told anyone to do it. I never suggested anyone do this. Like I said before, I just put the information out there, what people do with it is not my responsibility, it is their own, that's common sense. I provided information about something I did that worked, I did not suggest anyone do the same. If that's against the rules, it's fine, I understand, but I felt like I was lied to when you told me something couldn't be done and then I went and did it. I did not appreciate that.

My response had nothing to do with busy developers and whatnot. I more than understand what it means to have a lot on your plate. My response was tailored to how I perceived your attitude. I pointed out how you dragged the whole thing out with ridiculous questions or irrelevant remarks, which was why I stopped answering you in the first place. I made a topic about an obvious oversight in DMS and your first reply was telling me you didn't remember it ever being different. Well, that just means it's been an oversight for a longer time. I made a topic about receiving trackbacks/pingbacks on my blog that didn't show up where they should and you asked me to see whether the option to allow trackbacks to be received was checked. How am I supposed to respond to that?

In any event, like I said, I've managed to fix the issue. There's no need to prolong this discussion, you can close the topic if you wish to.

Posted · Report post

ovidiuav

If you have fixed the issue, please do a pull request on GitHub, we appreciate the contribution.

https://github.com/pagelines/DMS

Posted · Report post

Cool, thanks.

I have marked this thread as resolved, seeing as you will report the issue. I apologise it took so long, had a list of things to test and your issue was at the bottom. Only just got to it now.

So I apologise for the delay.

1 person likes this