ONLY CHROME? SERIOUSLY?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, I tried to work under Firefox 22.0. Message of DMS: "Chrome is required to use PageLines Editor" Really ?
  I second, third, fourth and fifth that! What the heck?! How is that good development practice? You support ONE browser? THE ONE browser I will not touch?? Chrome is just a tool by goog to further peer into our lives... screw chrome. I'll stick with FF ... which has a MASSIVE base. I will NOT force my clients to install that crap browser just to use this ONE BROWSER "DMS"... Seriously guys... wtf? I'd really like to know what FF can't handle.... why is it just "DMS" that can't work on FF? There are so many super dynamic web apps out there that run just fine on FF and even IE! ONE QUESTION... Is this going to change anytime soon???? I need to know now. If NO FF and be nice IE too to be supported soon, I will be forced to dump pagelines! Developer license.... looking like a WASTE of MONEY!

21 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Also, this is all over your site: PageLines DMS supports all modern web browsers which includes Chrome, FireFox, Safari and Internet Explorer 8 & 9. Also, Under /my-account there is nothing there anymore... just the link to download dms, extensions, and forums. What happens to all of those who bought your developer license before you switched to this "subscriptions" stuff? What about us? We paid very good money for that license. Surely you will honor it... right? Helpdesk tickets... where is this? It cannot be found! I'd like to contact you about all of these important questions.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Your site can be seen in any browser. Only the editor requires chrome.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

We chose chrome for the editor as at the moment it is way ahead of all the other browsers for rendering javascript.**

You can change the browser ID string with a number of firefox plugins to make your site think your using chrome.

** Source http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/web-browser-chrome-25-firefox-19,3459-6.html

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It's a shame Chrome for iPad doesn't work. Now that would be neat!

Posted · Report post

I would like to add that because it doesn't work on Chrome mobile I lose the ability to do quick updates on the iPad. Full functionality for Pagelines never existed in the mobile versions, but I used the support that did exist for editing text quickly. DMS removes that ability for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

#2.... What happens to all of those who bought your developer license before you switched to this "subscriptions" stuff? What about us? We paid very good money for that license. Surely you will honor it... right? Helpdesk tickets... where is this? It cannot be found! I'd like to contact you about all of these important questions.
So now I realize that after spending what... 500+ for dev license, we've been blessed with a FREE DMS download link??? Very nice... Not PRO... but FREE. And can't even download previous most recent anymore. You guys are running a great business here. Great development practice (Support 1 browser) and great business practice (Dump those who spend the most in your business). Edited by dotcoms

Posted · Report post

#2.... What happens to all of those who bought your developer license before you switched to this "subscriptions" stuff? What about us? We paid very good money for that license. Surely you will honor it... right? Helpdesk tickets... where is this? It cannot be found! I'd like to contact you about all of these important questions.
So now I realize that after spending what... 500+ for dev license, we've been blessed with a FREE DMS download link??? Very nice... Not PRO... but FREE. And can't even download previous most recent anymore. You guys are running a great business here. Great development practice (Support 1 browser) and great business practice (Dump those who spend the most in your business).

There is no record of anyone with your email address buying anything o the old system, and no product was ever $500+

If you have a billing issue contact billing support at hello@pagelines.com

Posted · Report post

Simon et al at Pagelines,

It's understandable that you're proably tired of being beat up. Pagelines has taken a lot of heat over the past few weeks. But this comment of yours below. This. This attitude is the under current of what is wrong with Pagelines 'think' right now that is grinding your cuustomer's gears. Instead of dealing with the heart of peoples concerns. i.e. paying for a license with the promise of support, then getting the feeling the company is going back on their promise of delivering. But, no you deflect and go after the guy for the low hanging fuit. Don't know your email address, your numbers don't add up. It's totally reasonable for someone to have more than one email address. I'm not even sure I'm using the same email I used to purchase my license to login to the forum. And maybe it's not $500, or $5 million, but really who cares. Pagelines is showing that a promise is pretty cheap these days.

I'm sorry for coming here and hating on you. That wasn't my intention. But in trying to come here and figure out what I should do as a Pagelines customer, it's remarkibly insulting to read all these trite and snarky comments by Pageline Staff to the people that have funded your enterprise up to this point. I have yet to find one straight up answer to a geniue customer concern without a Pagelines staff deflecting the blame back at the customer. Having a sense of humility at this point would do Pagelines some good.

There is no record of anyone with your email address buying anything o the old system, and no product was ever $500+

ninja edit: clarity, maybe...

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry for coming here and hating on you. That wasn't my intention. But in trying to come here and figure out what I should do as a Pagelines customer, it's remarkibly insulting to read all these trite and snarky comments by Pageline Staff to the people that have funded your enterprise up to this point. I have yet to find one straight up answer to a geniue customer concern without a Pagelines staff deflecting the blame back at the customer. Having a sense of humility at this point would do Pagelines some good.

The forums have always tended to be professional or personal. Professional warnings when a customer is snarky, personal snarky comments when the staff feels slighted. I recently called myself out as "pulling a derp" and was warned that my comment would be sent to management for handling. I even apologized for the person failing to understand my comment but didn't get the same respect from the person for not understanding my comment nor question. Pretty common. I hardly come to the forums now unless I fail to make any movement in solving a problem. My biggest problem right now is that I don't know if I'm supposed to buy a DMS Developer account and wait until someone gets around to me.

Apparently though, the people who come to the forum are just a fraction of the thousands who signed up for DMS. I've been nothing but easy going about this but haven't heard a thing since D-Day short of "We're working on it." and I even asked in the forums yesterday if Plus account holders who are Framework Developer owners need to sign up for DMS Developer and it will get converted, or if I don't have to do anything and since I'm a Framework Developer owner with a Plus account, it will just be moved over to DMS Developer.

I'm pondering my options.

ps... SOMETHING is happening, I now have a fade-in of my name in red under /my-account/.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'd like to be able to use Safari to edit DMS. Please make it happen. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hi davidventernet

I use Safari before the DMS all the time but  you can read the Simon´s reply about this

We chose chrome for the editor as at the moment it is way ahead of all the other browsers for rendering javascript.**

You can change the browser ID string with a number of firefox plugins to make your site think your using chrome.

** Source http://www.tomshardw...-19,3459-6.html

In the link you can see the better Chrome performance 

;)

Posted · Report post

I second, third, fourth and fifth that! What the heck?! How is that good development practice? You support ONE browser? THE ONE browser I will not touch?? Chrome is just a tool by goog to further peer into our lives... screw chrome. I'll stick with FF ... which has a MASSIVE base. I will NOT force my clients to install that crap browser just to use this ONE BROWSER "DMS"... Seriously guys... wtf? I'd really like to know what FF can't handle.... why is it just "DMS" that can't work on FF? There are so many super dynamic web apps out there that run just fine on FF and even IE! ONE QUESTION... Is this going to change anytime soon???? I need to know now. If NO FF and be nice IE too to be supported soon, I will be forced to dump pagelines! Developer license.... looking like a WASTE of MONEY!

The usage of Firefox is more inexplicable to me than IE. At least most people use the latter because they don't know better...but to know of alternatives, and to choose Firefox?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok... so far from what I can tell and assume, 1 developer and 1 admin have replied to this thread. Did EITHER of you address the important questions? NO. This is what is frustrating, and this is what others are seeing. Let me remind you... the BAD travels fast. I am a multi-business owner. Been in business a long time. This... what you guys are doing... it can turn the success your customers have awarded you into a fall real quick. You should know this. Surely you've dumped a company in your days for crappy customer service. And perhaps it wasn't quite 500+, maybe it was $495? You should know... you got the money! And no, this forum email is not the email used for the order. I've asked how to talk to someone which went unanswered.
Let me itemize my already asked questions:
1) For those of us who bought the developer license, who have pagelines 2.4... what happens to us?
2) Why is it under /my-account there is nothing there... Order history link: NONE, Contact pagelines link: NONE, pagelines dev/pro download (2.4.4): NONE
3) We signed up before your "Subscriptions" so..... what does that mean for us?
4) The DMS download link in logged in area, it seems it's just the free version, is that all we dev license owners get now?
5) If you can use FF with a user agent change addon, then what is the point of restricting to chrome anyway??
6) When is FF and even IE going to be supported?
7) WHO CAN WE TALK TO? HOW DO WE CONTACT YOU (not just a low-level ticket rep) you can email me that info if can't be public.
In my opinion... you guys need to stop and rethink your dms launch, add back download links for pagelines, listen to your customers better, and FIRE ANY STAFF who displays such unprofessional behavior to paying customers on your forums. SEND THIS THREAD LINK TO MANAGEMENT!
####EDIT:LINE BREAKS!#### Edited by dotcoms
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The usage of Firefox is more inexplicable to me than IE. At least most people use the latter because they don't know better...but to know of alternatives, and to choose Firefox?

Really? What value did you add here? You must be one of the chrome fanboys... that's fine. Good for you. I guess to you (and rest of pagelines it seems) anyone who doesn't use the browser you use is an idiot right? And you got this "developer badge" too, and if that means you work for pagelines.... you guys are digging a massive hole here.

Posted · Report post

Really? What value did you add here? You must be one of the chrome fanboys... that's fine. Good for you. I guess to you (and rest of pagelines it seems) anyone who doesn't use the browser you use is an idiot right? And you got this "developer badge" too, and if that means you work for pagelines.... you guys are digging a massive hole here.

I don't work for Pagelines. I'm just pointing out that your particular demands don't align with 1) usage trends, 2) js engine performance characteristics, and 3) technical considerations. Firefox is passe, and has been for some time.

Pagelines isn't the only js heavy engine to run on Chrome. In fact, there are whole dev frameworks built on the Chrome engine, like node.js. Sure, there is some discretion involved with the choice to prioritize Chrome support at this time, but it isn't completely ill-founded. Furthermore, Chrome is very much accessible to you. Your own predilections re: Google's profiling are understandable, but you need not sign into Chrome and personalize your sessions to use the DMS front end.

Posted · Report post

I replied inline below:

Ok... so far from what I can tell and assume, 1 developer and 1 admin have replied to this thread. Did EITHER of you address the important questions? NO. This is what is frustrating, and this is what others are seeing. Let me remind you... the BAD travels fast. I am a multi-business owner. Been in business a long time. This... what you guys are doing... it can turn the success your customers have awarded you into a fall real quick. You should know this. Surely you've dumped a company in your days for crappy customer service. And perhaps it wasn't quite 500+, maybe it was $495? You should know... you got the money! And no, this forum email is not the email used for the order. I've asked how to talk to someone which went unanswered.

What did you spend $495 on? Not the framework.

Let me itemize my already asked questions:
1) For those of us who bought the developer license, who have pagelines 2.4... what happens to us?

It will still be supported and updated.

2) Why is it under /my-account there is nothing there... Order history link: NONE, Contact pagelines link: NONE, pagelines dev/pro download (2.4.4): NONE

Those downloads are all available in the launchpad area.

3) We signed up before your "Subscriptions" so..... what does that mean for us?

If you were on the previous dev subscription, you were grandfathered into the new DMS subscription. If you chose not to partake in the dev subscription, your license to the framework is still valid, and it will continue to be updated.

4) The DMS download link in logged in area, it seems it's just the free version, is that all we dev license owners get now?

You still have access to the Pagelines Framework, nothing has changed.

5) If you can use FF with a user agent change addon, then what is the point of restricting to chrome anyway??

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is supported, or that it'll work right. FF has a ways to go to catch up to everyone else.

6) When is FF and even IE going to be supported?

PL team would probably have to answer this, but I doubt it's a terribly high priority. FF, because it has a lot of catching up to do, and market share seems to be declining, and IE being, well, IE.

7) WHO CAN WE TALK TO? HOW DO WE CONTACT YOU (not just a low-level ticket rep) you can email me that info if can't be public.

hello@pagelines.com is the official email channel.

In my opinion... you guys need to stop and rethink your dms launch, add back download links for pagelines, listen to your customers better, and FIRE ANY STAFF who displays such unprofessional behavior to paying customers on your forums. SEND THIS THREAD LINK TO MANAGEMENT!

You're absolutely right. You seem to be a shining star of professionalism.

####EDIT:LINE BREAKS!####

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

First if I've offended anyone here in any other topics, I humbly apologize.  It has been an intense period for us, and for many days, I've been the only one in here providing support to a product that's as new to me as it is to you.  That said, some people posting in this forum have been incredibly rude, demanding, nasty and sometimes obnoxious in their behavior, and patience, they've shown, is not their strong suit.

etcio thanks for your patience and help replying.

Moving forward, Chrome uses more innovative tools than Firefox, Safari, IE or other browsers.  That DOES NOT MEAN that they will not adapt and incorporate these tools in the course of time.  As they do, the ability of DMS to be edited on those others will expand, accordingly.  As for iPads, iPhone, Android devices, well, since they're not particularly friendly to java, javascript, or jquery, I think you will have to adapt a bit. But that's NOT OUR FAULT, so kindly stop blaming us.

As for this kind of comment:

Well, let me tell you, there's NO SUCH THING as a low-level ticket rep and that comment wasn't slightly offensive, it was exceedingly so.  We are all top tier in this company and do an outstanding job supporting people, even when they say such ignorant things.  It's amazing to me that so many have failed to learn 'you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar'. So, is it wise to go off on an emotional rampage and let your hormones do the typing if you expect answers. Clearly not.

Yes, I can be emotional too, and that's because, like my colleagues here, I'm a human being.  A fact many posting here seem to forget. You're not talking to your computer, you're asking a human being for help.  So kindly remember that - everyone - when asking for assistance.  If you spoke to your spouse, parents, siblings or roommates like that ,you'd probably find your computer in the garbage disposal and your clothing torn to shreds - and for good cause.  Remember, even though you're typing on a keyboard you're addressing a person whose help you need.

Lastly, this forum has been used to answer nearly 1000 topics, postings and replies (just by me) in the past 12 days.  We've found answers for everyone as best we can.  READ THEM!  Additionally, when we started planning DMS, nearly a year ago, one of our first objectives was to ensure we had great docs. They're located at http://docs.pagelines.com.  READ THEM, TOO!!

Notes:  I capitalize for emphasis, not for shouting.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

etcio... on one hand I will say thank you for providing some of those answers for me. That's something PAGELINES should have done here, not a customer/user only which you say you are. On the other hand, you're really in no place to comment on professionalism... as you entered this thread rear end first. And I'm a frustrated customer on forums, who as I have mentioned, am here with all these frustrating questions that were generated by lack of information, links, and lack of pagelines contact options.
______
In you answers, you say all this stuff is available... why not post links as obviously I don't see anything that used to be there.
______
For clarity: $397 is what was spent on the pagelines dev license. Purchased several things around that time and since. Mixed up numbers...
______
Rob... There absolutely is such thing as a low-level ticket rep. That is a common structure for communications channels. You chimed in this thread not to provide information for my questions and concerns, but to vent what seems is your frustration with customers who vent their frustrations. Customers can and will do that! Employees are human but still cannot vent out like customers, especially on a forum. You came into this thread like I personally attacked you, and clearly I didn't.
______
If I had logged in, saw the download links for most recent pagelines 2+ and content saying "Hey, since you're a valued dev license holder, you can also download the professional version of DMS" AND had something like "If you have any questions, click here to contact us"............... NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!! I would have fired off a professional toned contact or email and gone from there.

Posted · Report post

When I read someone make hateful comments like that, I'm going to respond on behalf of myself and my colleagues, none of whom are low level in this company. Maybe in other companies, but to be very clear, NOT here.

etcio is not a member of the staff. He's a fellow client, like you (and me, by the way). He happens to have a developer's license and is more experienced with the technical aspects than most, and was kind enough to help.  

While I understand your frustration, don't think that you can make comments like that and get the help you expect because you expect it or make noise.  It's not going to happen for those reasons.  If you're respectful, you'll earn and get respect.

With that, I've closed and locked this topic.  If you need additional assistance, open a new topic courteously, and you'll be courteously and respectfully answered.