Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using a Top Left Crop on Featured Images

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello,

I am a new DMS customer enjoying the framework very much thus far.

There is one problem, though. It seems that the Post Content Loop is rendering featured images using a method that crops images from the center rather than top left. The end result is that all of my featured images have the top chopped off.

I am aware that there are several ways to change this, including hacking core, adding a function to the theme, and more. I found a plugin entitled 'Thumbnail Crop Position', which seems very promising, but I cannot make it work yet.

Any suggestions for accomplishing this?

Thank you

1 answer to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I don't believe PageLines DMS is actually doing that.  Rather, I believe WordPress is delivering the thumbnail version of your image.  If you look at the options WordPress provides when Setting Featured Image, you'll see you have the options to use the full-size image, and three pre-set sizes. Most people leave it to 150px by 150px, so if you have a 600px square image, it will resize, but if the image is 600 by 900px, it will crop from center.

I've been telling people for the longest time that because IE doesn't handle image cropping very well (or at all), the best practice is to resize your images manually, and have a thumbnail version you upload separately as the featured image.

Alternatively, you can set a different size for your feature images via Dashboard > Settings > Media.

This won't take immediately.  You'll need to use a plugin called Regenerate Thumbnails http://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/ to tell WordPress to rebuild the image library.  This can take a while if you have many, but it works.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further help.